Home

TSL Crashing every 5 or so minutes Windows 7

4sostrander

First off, I'd like to say thank you for reading this and trying to help me with this problem. KotOR2 is by far my favorite RPG of all time, second only to Morrowind, and I really do love this game.

Okay. So, my problem is that the game will freeze up every 5 minutes or so. I can't alt-tab, but when I ctrl+alt+delete and open task Manager, there's a message that says that the game has stopped working. It's not the typical message, though. There's also a "debug" button next to the "close" button, and it doesn't say "search for a solution," or anything. I am running Windows 7.

I have tried this on a clean install as well as with TSLRCM, and it doesn't work either way.

I have attempted all of the fixes I can find on the internet, mss32.ddl, turning threaded optimization off, updating NVidia drivers, updating processor drivers, running it in widescreen and not in widescreen, running it in single-core mode, etc. If there was anything on the first 10 pages of "kotor windows 7 crash fix" on google, chances are that I've tried it.

My specs are:

NVidia GTS 250 GPU

AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor (2.8GHz)

4GB RAM

Windows 7 Professional, 64bit.

All drivers updated, and such.

help would greatly be appreciated, as I just finished my playthrough of the first game, and my tradition dictates that I must play the second one again now too. You know how it is :\

Thanks for the help, guys.

Edit: Okay, this problem randomly disappeared, I guess o.o But there's another one now.

Now the game will have large audio glitches, pops, etc. whenever a noise is made, like Atton speaking, door opening, attacking, etc. I can live with the glitches. But, after a while, teh glitches get really bad, and then the game just freezes. The mouse still moves, but it stutters around. It slows down my computer so bad that even task manager stop responding, so I have to force restart my computer to leave the game. On the occasion that I *CAN* close the game by killing the process, my entire screen is left a bit brighter until my next restart, like my monitor had the brightness turned all the way up. This crash only occurs every 20 minutes or so, so it's a minor improvement, I guess. Still be nice to fix, though...

This happens on both the original retail as well as the Collection DVDs. I don't have the Steam version of KotOR2. The game runs fine on the first game, without problems.

Another thing I'll mention is that my entire display is slightly brighter after the game starts up and closes down. Everything is a bit brighter and more vibrant, like someone turned the brightness and contrast all the way up.

The screen brightening when the game launches is normal.

KotOR 2 should run on a single CPU core automatically with Windows 7.

Before you do anything else, try the Dantooine lag fix:

• First, figure out where the .ini is installed. Default is "C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\swkotor(2)\swkotor(2).ini". If its not in that location, then your going to have to do some searching around on the hard drive a bit.
  • When you find it, just double-click on the file to open it in Notepad.
  • Scroll down the file until you find the Graphics Options
  • Under the last line ("last line" as in the last line of the list of entries under "Graphics Options", NOT the last line of "swkotor(2).ini"), add "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1", without the quotes.
  • Goto File, then Save.

If you've got the CD version installed, it would be very helpful if you used the game's configuration utility to post your system specs:

Post your system specs

Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:

• If you're using Vista or Windows 7, go into your game folder, find "launcher.exe" and "swconfig.exe". For each file, right-click on it, select "properties", then "compatibility", check the box beside "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". Then check the box next to "Run this program administrator" and hit "OK". (EDIT by Q)
  • Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2 (by running "launcher.exe").
  • Click on "Configure".
  • Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
  • Click "Yes" to continue.
  • Click "Details" to view your system specs.
  • Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
  • Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.

You can leave out the keymapping and everything after that.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for not replying in three months, I've had a lot of personal things going on, as well as moving to another country. Anyways, I tested the game just now, seems to run fine on a clean install at 800x600, with the 1.0b patch. The problem might have been the high-resolution patch.. I'll check with that later. As for what the system hardware scan said, it said I needed Detonator 45.23 or higher GPU drivers, although I have the latest drivers...Anyways, here's this:

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=6/10/2013 3:08:21 AM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.00.424

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=None

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

?:\pagefile.sys=0

[CPU]

CPUCount=4

CPUSpeed=2800

CPUFamily=15

CPUModel=5

CPUStepping=2

CPUVendor=AMD

CPUName=AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor 2800MHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=4096

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=63.54GB

D: (NTFS), UNICODE=3.04GB

F: (NTFS), UNICODE=39.15GB

H: (NTFS), UNICODE=165.25GB

Q: (NTFS), UNICODE=2426.97GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=E:\,G:\

Drives=ASUS DRW-24B1ST ATA Device,ASUS DRW-24B1ST ATA Device,ASUS DRW-24B1ST ATA Device

[Video]

Video Card Name=RDPDD Chained DD

Video Memory=4096

Desktop Resolution=0x0x0

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=3.3.0

OpenGL Vendor=NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Renderer=GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2

NVidia Driver=(null)

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Fail

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=@oem22.inf,%usb\vid_045e&pid_0723&mi_02.devicedesc%;Microsoft LifeCam VX-7000.

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor2.ini

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Music Volume=85

Voiceover Volume=85

Sound Effects Volume=85

Movie Volume=85

Number 3D Voices=32

Number 2D Voices=32

2D3D Bias=1.00

Force Software=0

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]

V-Sync=0

Anisotropy=1

Frame Buffer=1

Anti Aliasing=0

Texture Quality=0

Grass=1

Soft Shadows=1

Shadows=1

Brightness=57

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

[Game Options]

Enable Tooltips=1

Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000

Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000

Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000

TextureVariation=0

BodyVariation=0

AppearanceType=0

PCGender=0

GameCompleted=0

CurSithLord=0

Hide InGame GUI=0

Use Small Fonts=0

Hide Unequippable=0

Tutorial Popups=1

Subtitles=1

Mini Map=1

Floating Numbers=1

Status Summary=1

Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1

Mouse Sensitivity=44

Difficulty Level=1

Auto Level Up NPCs=0

Mouse Look=0

AutoSave=1

EnableScreenShot=0

Reverse Mouse Buttons=0

Reverse Ingame YAxis=0

Reverse Minigame YAxis=0

Combat Movement=1

UnlockedPlanetSongs=3

TooltipDelay Sec=1

[config]

firstrun=0

Hope this helps, sorry for bumping this, and thanks for the help!

Aha! I've figured out what the problem is, but I still have no idea for the solution.

It's got to be a problem with the Restored Content Mod - I can't seem to be able to get it to work. I get the audio pops and glitches I mentioned in the first post, then the game slows down, freezes, and I have to kill the process. I'm not entirely sure how to even get it to work. Hmm. Any suggestions?

GameVersion=v2.00.424

You patched the game, but for some reason it's reporting that it has not been patched.

I see no width or height values under [Graphics Options], nor do I see the Dantooine lag fix line (Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=0).

Try reinstalling the game according to the large-print instructions at the top of the second post in this thread.

I did that, just as the post described. Also tried the lag fix, didn't solve it :c

Edit: So, as I said in the first post, there are audio pops everywhere, and then the game stops responding. The audio keeps playing, though. When I open Task manager, the audio glitches are intensified, and the game still isn't responding. I have to kill the process to access my PC again.

Edit #2: It's not the TSLRCM mod. It happened with default TSL, so...yeah. Ignore that post up there about it being TSLRCM. It seemed to be longer until it did happen, though. I feel it's a problem with Miles Sound System, but I've no idea how to fix it.

Hmm, it's still saying that the Lifecam is my audio driver. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the driver, but it's taking a while. Here are the specs again:

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=6/13/2013 11:33:10 PM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.10.427

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=None

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

[CPU]

CPUCount=4

CPUSpeed=2800

CPUFamily=15

CPUModel=5

CPUStepping=2

CPUVendor=AMD

CPUName=AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor 2800MHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=4096

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=61.96GB

D: (NTFS), UNICODE=3.04GB

F: (NTFS), UNICODE=39.14GB

Q: (NTFS), UNICODE=2420.32GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=E:\,G:\

Drives=ASUS DRW-24B1ST ATA Device,ASUS DRW-24B1ST ATA Device,ASUS DRW-24B1ST ATA Device

[Video]

Video Card Name=RDPDD Chained DD

Video Memory=4096

Desktop Resolution=0x0x0

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=3.3.0

OpenGL Vendor=NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Renderer=GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2

NVidia Driver=(null)

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Fail

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=@oem22.inf,%usb\vid_045e&pid_0723&mi_02.devicedesc%;Microsoft LifeCam VX-7000.

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor2.ini

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=1

Sort Modules=1

Width=1440

Height=900

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Music Volume=85

Voiceover Volume=85

Sound Effects Volume=85

Movie Volume=85

Number 3D Voices=32

Number 2D Voices=32

2D3D Bias=1.00

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

Force Software=0

[Graphics Options]

Anisotropy=16

Frame Buffer=1

Grass=1

Soft Shadows=1

Shadows=1

Brightness=57

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

RefreshRate=60

Width=1280

Height=960

V-Sync=1

Texture Quality=2

Anti Aliasing=8

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

[Game Options]

Enable Tooltips=1

Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000

Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000

Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000

TextureVariation=0

BodyVariation=0

AppearanceType=0

PCGender=0

GameCompleted=0

CurSithLord=0

Hide InGame GUI=0

Use Small Fonts=0

Hide Unequippable=0

Tutorial Popups=1

Subtitles=1

Mini Map=1

Floating Numbers=1

Status Summary=1

Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1

Mouse Sensitivity=44

Difficulty Level=1

Auto Level Up NPCs=0

Mouse Look=0

AutoSave=1

EnableScreenShot=0

Reverse Mouse Buttons=0

Reverse Ingame YAxis=0

Reverse Minigame YAxis=0

Combat Movement=1

TooltipDelay Sec=1

Disable Movies=0

[config]

firstrun=0

Edit: Forgot this, I have an onboard I'm pretty sure.

Edit #2: Tried to remove my driver, rebooted, and then reinstalled. Still saying my Webcam is my audio driver, even though it's not even plugged in.

No, sorry. I realized that they weren't identical and posted them again as an edit. I'm running 1440x900, and using the uniWS patcher for the game. Pretty sure that's not causing the problems, as it still crashes when I run it in 800x600, full or windowed.

The game supports 1280x768 natively. Your monitor or graphics card can scale it up from there.

All you have to do is change the width and height values under [Display Options] and [Graphics Options] in swkotor2.ini, though I'd do it with a freshly installed and patched game.

Archived