Home

AC4 - Assassins of the Caribbean

igyman

Been a while since I last started a thread, but this piece of news is so ridiculous that I couldn't resist - AC3, as disappointing as it might have been (for me at least), hasn't even been properly shelved by players, or Ubisoft (DLC), yet Ubisoft is already announcing AC4:

577355_510435338997692_1874156890_n.jpg

I understand that they might want to give ship battles a bigger role in the next game, since they were rather fun in AC3, but I find the choice of a pirate-setting just ridiculous. Personally, I'm on the border of just giving up on AC, as I have done with Splinter Cell after the announcement of Blacklist. What are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts?

This is a terrible idea.

I have a massive interest in the history of piracy *looks at bookshelf* - but if this is a sequel, then it's going to be set long after the Golden Age of Piracy.

I'm still not even sure why Assassin's Creed needed ship battles in the first place, they add nothing of value to the game, as far as I'm concerned, and I still can't see why the Assassins need a Navy in the first place.

I like the ship battles, don't get me wrong, they're well executed, but ultimately an unnecessary addition. To make a game that looks like it'll make them a major selling point is stupid.

Game of the Year 2014, no doubt.

I have a massive interest in the history of piracy *looks at bookshelf* - but if this is a sequel, then it's going to be set long after the Golden Age of Piracy.
Well, it's been reported the central character of the game will be Connor's grandfather, Edward Kenway. Not sure if it's true, but if it is, this game would be set exactly during this "Golden Age".

Contrary to most people, I found AC3 the most enjoyable of the series ever since the first game (which is still my favourite of them all). Still, this is too soon for a sequel (let alone a numbered one). And what kind of "exploration" will they give when the game is about being on a ship in the middle of the sea most of the time?

P.S: They better have a Monkey Island easter egg hidden somewhere. :p

For once I'm not at excited about a new AC game. I am really disappointed that they just scrapped Connor, I thought he had a lot of potential. I hate to judge a book by its cover but, pirates? Seriously? Is Johnny Depp gonna voice the main character too? I swear if I see a single parrot I'm returning it haha. I can almost guarantee that this new guy is gonna be a total Ezio rip off, and that will be the real disappointment.

I'll just leave this here.

[youtube=hd]

I'll be honest, I miss the Assassin's Creed III theme. Apart from that, this looks pretty much like what AC3 should've been instead of that deciduous, puritan borefest.

Also, lololol Sid Meier's Pirates 2/dark gritty reboot.

Looks like it was a leaked trailer that got taken down and is going to be properly released on Monday with the rest of the reveal. There should probably be mirrors...

Edit: Updated with a mirror.

Edit 2: Nope, gone as well. Guess you'll all have wait for Monday.

I don't mind this idea, but I just hope they don't make it crappy. I heard AC III did okay, just not as good as it's previous games. I still enjoy AC I - Brotherhood (Haven't played Revelations yet.) the most though. I do remember seeing the ending to AC III a while after it released, and my immediate reaction was "What. The. ****." I mean, I didn't mind Desmond's story, but how are they gonna pull this off with the modern day stuff? Play as some other guy?

It does seem like while this may be an interesting game on its own (open-world pirate game!), it only seems to have the Assassin's Creed name for marketing purposes. The AC series has always been less about really being an stealthy assassin as many would have hoped, but this may be stretching a bit too far?

It's definitely a game I'm looking forward to, if they improve on what they did good in AC3 and remove the lesser ideas and the setting should be interesting. As far as the series is concerned, though, it looks to be kind of a mess. And this yearly nonsense is oversaturating even me, who has gotten every AC game pretty much at launch.

I'm one of the few people who enjoyed ACIII, but maybe it's because I came to the series late and played it before its predecessors. TBH I'm mixed on this. I liked the ship missions in ACIII and I'm guessing that they are acting on that in this, however I am skeptical of something being announced this early after ACIII came out. Almost like Call of Duty all over again.

That trailer does look somewhat promising though, I have to admit.

We know the game has been in development since mid-2011 and Ubisoft mentioned in their meeting earlier that this game has a 'new team', which makes me think that this game has been in development parallel to, and independent of Assassin's Creed III.

The game's writer is the same as the one for Revelations, and if there's one thing I can give that game, it had the best writing in the series. Ubisoft has promised proper open-world assassination missions will be back, hand-held linear missions will be less, and the rest of the game sounds like a Sid Meier's Pirates 2. On paper at least, this game appears to be everything Assassin's Creed III wasn't.

I don't see what's so bad with it being a yearly franchise. It need not directly mean a deterioration in quality, especially not for a gigantic company like Ubisoft and UbiMon, which must be the world's largest single game studio. Despite my gripes with the series, I find it impressive that they're able to create such laboured worlds and consistent, story-based 20-40 hour experiences on a yearly basis. I'm actually kind of glad we get to see so many ACs in different settings so soon - the alternative would be what, waiting five years drawing straws to see which setting they'll pick next?

And to be honest, what could Ubisoft possibly improve upon in an AC game, given more time? Less bugs granted, but if there are any significant flaws in the AC franchise, they are a conceptual, design level, not something an extra year of polish is going to fix. Hell, it'll probably get some wise guy to include five more completely pointless side-games (ooh let's add a bomb crafting mechanic! Oooh let's have a farmville in the game!)

Archived