Home

An Xbox Dilemma

Alexrd

As the title says, I'm in a bit of a dilemma and hope you guys can help me out. The last console I bought was a Sega Mega Drive (aka Sega Genesis), so I'm a bit out of the loop on these matters.

I'm a PC gamer at heart, but unfortunately not every game is released on (or ported to) PC, as such I became interested on an Xbox 360 (slim). I saw one on a store at $190 (or 150€). The Xbox would be used to play some console exclusive games like Red Dead Redemption and the like.

- Do you think this is a good deal, or is the announcement of the next Xbox expected to lead to a price to drop? Wouldn't it make sense that they mantain the price in order to avoid people buying an 360 instead of the new one?

- Do users with Xbox Live Free have access to the Marketplace?

- I would be buying the 4GB version and buy an hard drive later on. Do I need to buy an official hard drive, or an unbranded one does the trick?

- Can I use my laptop as a display?

- Any reason for why I should avoid buying it? I admit that I'm afraid to not use it as often as I would like to in order to make the investment worthwhile.

I probably have more questions, but for now I will leave these here.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's a good deal. i have 2 myself. the old core system and the newer one with integrated wifi and hdmi port. pretty sure you can get on marketplace with the free version of xbox live. i recommend the 320 gig system though...4 gigs is not enough. as far as using it 'little' idk i leave mine on for hours sometimes. not sure about laptop display.

not sure when the new xbox is coming out, but if you'r eonly going to be playing a few games the 4 gig one probably do just fine unless you're going to download off marketplace which it sounded like you were thinking about, then you would definitely want a bigger hard drive.

i recommend the 320 gig system though...4 gigs is not enough.

Can't. It's too expensive for me. As I said, if I buy it, I will also get an hard drive. I only don't know if there is any problem with an unbranded one (which is a lot cheaper and easier to find).

not sure when the new xbox is coming out,

From what I've learned, they will probably announce it in May.

P.S: The Marketplace would be used for demos, mostly. I'm not expecting to buy anything there.

RDR is pretty sweet, but is it worth the cost of a 360? Even a discounted one? Dunno, that's a tough call. There are a couple of other 360/console exclusive titles I guess, but at this stage of the game, with the 720 (or whatever it ends up being called) due out at Xmas...

I would say even if you are dead set on it, hold off for now. It will surely see a further price reduction to clear stock in the leadup and subsequent to the 720's launch.

RDR is pretty sweet, but is it worth the cost of a 360? Even a discounted one? Dunno, that's a tough call. There are a couple of other 360/console exclusive titles I guess, but at this stage of the game, with the 720 (or whatever it ends up being called) due out at Xmas...

Well, Red Dead Redemption is just an example (although it's the game I'm interested the most). I have other games in mind, although not that many (it's indeed a though call). As for the next Xbox, it's really not a factor since I'm not interested in it. My main concern is its effect on the price of the 360.

I would say even if you are dead set on it, hold off for now. It will surely see a further price reduction to clear stock in the leadup and subsequent to the 720's launch.

That's the thing. The one I've seen has this discount precisely to clear the stock. It was the only one as well (it can probably be already gone). But next time I go to the store, I would like to be sure if I'm going to buy it or not.

Thank you both for the help so far.

My point about the 720 was not that you should consider buying one, but that its arrival means there is not much more mileage in 360, so it's a reduced proposition in terms of future value. It will likely still see releases into next year given its massive install base, but it's extremely doubtful that any of them are going to be exclusives.

Additionally, as I suggested above, the 360's price will fall as time goes on (within reason obviously). If you are worried about the one you saw being a one-off, it will be widespread soon enough.

My point about the 720 was not that you should consider buying one, but that its arrival means there is not much more mileage in 360, so it's a reduced proposition in terms of future value. It will likely still see releases into next year given its massive install base, but it's extremely doubtful that any of them are going to be exclusives.

Oh, I'm aware of that. Of course new releases are always welcome, but I'm fine with the already vast catalogue (not to mention the many backward compatible original Xbox games). I merely didn't take a good look at it yet, that's why only an handful of games have caught my interest so far.

Which games are you planning to get anyway?

Red Dead Redemption, Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Forza Motorsport 4, Soulcalibur IV, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai - HD Collection, Sonic Generations (the PC version has some problem with my Nvidia card), and probably The Force Unleashed II (since the PC port was very badly done and I need a Star Wars game).

I'm having the same problem, my 360 is on it last leg. I have another at the office for kids to use, but I hate to take it home. I have been looking for a replacement without spending too much since the new one will likely be out for Christmas. Around $190.00 - $200.00 is a very common price around here and online at the moment. You may actually even consider refurbished. I have been leaning that way since it is no longer my primary game play devise.

If you have a interest in Halo, Gears of War,Forza, and Fable the 360 is a good place to be, but I got a PS3 about a year ago and find it a good investment due to its great and bigger amount of quality exclusives and actually love it more than the 360. The fighting games are better on PS3 IMO due to the controller.

Plus the online is free. :D Without LIVE on 360 kinda makes it half a console. I have a Playstation Plus subscription and get alot of free games from it.

If you have a interest in Halo, Gears of War,Forza, and Fable the 360 is a good place to be, but I got a PS3 about a year ago and find it a good investment due to its great and bigger amount of quality exclusives and actually love it more than the 360.

I don't have much of an interest in each console exclusives. I mean, one has Halo and the other has ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, but since the price is the biggest factor here, the Xbox has the advantage.

I know you said you weren't interested in the next generation console, but if the price difference isn't too extravagantly high and if it has backwards capacity, it might be smarter to get the nextgen one as there might be some exclusive game you want really bad, and you would be in the same predicament you are now.

Just my 2 cents, also I hear it is possible to connect your xbox and laptop through hdmi for display

rumours I know you said you weren't interested in the next generation console, but if the price difference isn't too extravagantly high and if it has backwards capacity, it might be smarter to get the nextgen one as there might be some exclusive game you want really bad, and you would be in the same predicament you are now.

Well, it will take some years for the new console to reach this price ($190), and if the obligatory online connection rumours are true, I will certainly not buy it.

rumours Just my 2 cents, also I hear it is possible to connect your xbox and laptop through hdmi for display

Glad to hear that. Thanks.

I don't have much of an interest in each console exclusives. I mean, one has Halo and the other has ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, but since the price is the biggest factor here, the Xbox has the advantage.

Understandable. PlayStation has so much more than just ICO/Shadow of the Colossus tho! :D

Do you plan on playing online?

I know you said you weren't interested in the next generation console, but if the price difference isn't too extravagantly high and if it has backwards capacity, it might be smarter to get the nextgen one
The PS4 isn't backwards compatible and the 720 isn't likely to be either. It costs too much to include dedicated hardware for it (which is why Sony stripped it out of the PS3).

Consoles are never cheap, buying games for consoles aren't cheap either. If you're worried about spending too much money then I suggest you get a proper list of games down, the games you're definitely going to get and figure out what price they're selling for and how cheap you can get them and how much this is going to cost you all up.

Also, there's nothing wrong with getting second hand hardware/software.

Understandable. PlayStation has so much more than just ICO/Shadow of the Colossus tho! :D

Do you plan on playing online?

I know, I was only mentioning the exclusives I actually found to be interesting. ;)

And no, I have no plans for online. Even if it was free, I would only play once or twice.

Consoles are never cheap, buying games for consoles aren't cheap either. If you're worried about spending too much money then I suggest you get a proper list of games down, the games you're definitely going to get and figure out what price they're selling for and how cheap you can get them and how much this is going to cost you all up.

That's true, and I've already done that. The reason I intend to buy a console now is because both the console and the games I'm interested in are already found cheap (or at an affordable price).

Buy a Wii U, then you have access to all of those exclusive Wii and (current lack of) Wii U games and also all of the Virtual Console games *nods*

:p lol, I'm kidding, I know everyone here doesn't like Nintendo.

Anyway, if you've done the math then buy away, I say. I mean, you could always "wait for the right moment" but a lot of the time you end up waiting for a long time for that perfect moment to buy stuff when all you really want to do is play the damn thing now.

Just came from the store and unfortunately it's already gone.

Anyway, if you've done the math then buy away, I say. I mean, you could always "wait for the right moment" but a lot of the time you end up waiting for a long time for that perfect moment to buy stuff when all you really want to do is play the damn thing now.

I shall do so the next time I find one with this pricetag. Let's hope Durango makes them easier to find. :)

Have you tried eBay Alexrd? Thats one scary place but can contain amazing deals.

:p lol, I'm kidding, I know everyone here doesn't like Nintendo.

Hey! Its their own fault! I still love Zelda though. Their portables are always fantastic. The 3DS is amazing and the games to boot! But on the console side I think they have lost of alot of what made them great, I loved the Gamecube...but wouldn't buy a Wii myself, good thing my sister has one for me to play my Wii Twilight Princess on! ;)

How so?

For not going in a direction I wanted! :p

But honestly, I think they are trying to hard to cater to casual audiences or everybody while also trying to please the "hardcore" fans at the same time. There are still solely about making games which is a good thing(unlike *cough* Microsoft *cough*) but compared to the PC and other two consoles their games aren't as good or in a small quantity. The 3DS has much better games being made by Nintendo than what is on the Wii, I don't get it.

However, I do enjoy DKCR, Kirby: Return to Dreamland, and Skyward Sword. As well as Smash Bros and Mario Kart Wii. I just don't like the focus on motion controls at all. I wish Skyward Sword utilized the classic controller. I do plan on owning a Wii/Wii U for myself one day, but am in no rush due to the great and bigger library of games on other consoles.

Archived