Home

An Xbox Dilemma

Alexrd

Is it really hard to find game consoles in your area? You make it sound like you live in the remote mountains.

No, but it's hard to find one at that price.

Have you tried eBay Alexrd? Thats one scary place but can contain amazing deals.

Yes, but I don't buy such expensive (and heavy) items there due to shipping, guaranty, refunds, etc...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@ GeneralPloKoon: So what you're saying is that Nintendo has a lot of great games, but Nintendo doesn't have a lot of great games :p

Yes. I mean no. I mean yes. Uhhhhh. They don't have enough great games to be worth buying a console over? At least compared to whats on the other two?

http://www.lynkformer.com/loot/#nintendo-wii

Here's all the Wii games I have... seems like a lot to me, and most of them are pretty damn good. I think my current generation console line-up (Wii, PS3, 360) is 50% Nintendo, 50% Sony+Microsoft).

However, there is a point to why you think that there aren't as many Wii games worth buying as there really are, it's because a) No one seems to advertise games released on Wii and they end up becoming pretty low profile despite being great games and b) most folks just don't choose to look and actually see what's available. They just assume it's just a Mario game and a Zelda game and that's it.

No one really does the kind of research Alexrd did to figure out which 360 exclusive games he wants because they just assume there's nothing to look for to begin with and assume that whatever is there won't be to their liking to begin with.

The Wii's catalogue is mostly made of exclusives. But those same exclusives, as good as they are, don't interest me as much as the multiplatform offers of the Xbox and PS3. And like GeneralPloKoon, I really don't like the heavy focus on motion control. Otherwise, I would buy games like New Super Mario Bros. instantly.

As a fan of Sonic, I really envy Mario as far as quality games and treatment go.

@ Alexrd: You just proved my point by "accusing" a game that uses traditional controls for being too motion control-centric.

No, I'm "accusing" the console for being too focused on motion control, not the game. SMB can be played with a normal gamepad (which is a plus), as far as I know.

Because it has a controller capable of motion controls doesn't actually mean every game uses it. Plus you also have to understand that there's motion controls, aka "waggle" and pointer controls... which is basically just aiming the Wiimote at the sensor bar to... well, aim. Works really well in Metroid Prime with Samus' armcannon and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories with the flashlight.

I didn't like the motion control stuff on Wii either, but I loved the aim controls for the system, it's one of the best things about the system that I miss on Wii U because it takes a backseat to the GamePad. Most of the games I absolutely adore for Wii don't actually use motion controls, and a lot of them don't even use any of the newer control options Wii introduced and simply use buttons and analog sticks.

Again, people see a sytem that has an added control option and assume that's how most of the games will run and that they're all based on you waving your arms around like an idiot.

If that were true, I wouldn't have bought the games I bought... cause I agree with all of you, that kind of stuff is stupid and I don't want to play that kind of stuff either... but stuff like Xenoblade Chronicles and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn don't have that kind of jazz...

Because it has a controller capable of motion controls doesn't actually mean every game uses it.

I know (I even mentioned one that didn't). The point was, the console (and therefore a good chunk of its catalogue) is focused on the motion control, which makes it less appealing to me when compared to the Xbox, for example.

On other news, I guess I was lucky that the Xbox I was going to buy was already taken.

A good chunk of it's catalogue that I never bought... but I still ended up buying 50+ games for the system anyway. You're making the same assumptions about Wii as I did about the PSP and am doing right now about Vita even though realistically I know there are good games for the system and that I know I can get the system and the games for dirt cheap, I just don't want to bother looking.

Also, those guys in that video are idiots. Always connected is not a good thing because if you're offline, your games won't work on the system. As for the $99 system, is that the one I've been hearing about that's going to force people to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold to use?

Also, those guys in that video are idiots. Always connected is not a good thing because if you're offline, your games won't work on the system.

Agreed. I think that's the main reason for why I will never buy the next Xbox. If I already have a problem with Steamworks DRM specially because of its online requirement to install and play a game, imagine an always on.

As for the $99 system, is that the one I've been hearing about that's going to force people to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold to use?

There was a some kind of "promo" where you could buy a 250GB 360 S for $99, but at the same time you had to subscribe Gold for at least 2 years.

This seems to be a completely new model though.

Always being connected online would instantly make the Xbox a no-buy permanently for me unless it was available for a ridiculously cheap price. Hopefully Halo 5 and 6 will have novelizations! :p

http://www.lynkformer.com/loot/#nintendo-wii

Here's all the Wii games I have... seems like a lot to me, and most of them are pretty damn good. I think my current generation console line-up (Wii, PS3, 360) is 50% Nintendo, 50% Sony+Microsoft).

However, there is a point to why you think that there aren't as many Wii games worth buying as there really are, it's because a) No one seems to advertise games released on Wii and they end up becoming pretty low profile despite being great games and b) most folks just don't choose to look and actually see what's available. They just assume it's just a Mario game and a Zelda game and that's it.

No one really does the kind of research Alexrd did to figure out which 360 exclusive games he wants because they just assume there's nothing to look for to begin with and assume that whatever is there won't be to their liking to begin with.

Thats a excellent library of games, but I think another problem with the Wii not counting the multi-platform titles is that it seems specialized towards children/families or Japanese fans(fans of Japanese-esque games). For western audiences the other two consoles may be more appealing. Its all about the taste of the particular gamer and I think Wii is more of a family friendly console more than anything else.

With the exception of Nintendo and Sega I don't really know any Japanese developers I get excited about anymore. I think Square-Enix lost me with Final Fantasy 13 and Capcom I have had annoyances with on every level after loving then in the 90s. Thats really my opinion, but I think alot of western audiences have lost interest in many of the Japanese games, where the Wii has the most of its exclusive library consisted of.

This is kinda sad and causes many games on the console to be skipped, but games like Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story are games that cater to a very specific audience. Mario and Zelda being the more well-know IPs its understandable people may think thats all there is on the system. Japanese games have become forgotten to the West, or the majority.

I suck at this. :p Trying to explain stuff on a message board!

The Wii's catalogue is mostly made of exclusives. But those same exclusives, as good as they are, don't interest me as much as the multiplataform offers of the Xbox and PS3. And like GeneralPloKoon, I really don't like the heavy focus on motion control. Otherwise, I would buy games like New Super Mario Bros. instantly.

As a fan of Sonic, I really envy Mario as far as quality games and treatment go.

New Super Mario Bros. really doesn't use motion controls and has the Wii-mote work as a controller. That's awesome and I wish Skyward Sword had a no motion-controls option! :p The Virtual Console store is great though if you

love the old school Nintendo/Genesis&Mega-Drive games.

But yeah, I think motion controls is silly. Probably because I have used controllers for so long.

I'm a massive Sonic fan too! :D I think Sega has done really well with Sonic Colors(a Wii Exclusive ;)) and Sonic Generations. I think Sonic is going to make a comeback from his Dark Times if SEGA keeps up the quality!

@ GeneralPloKoon: I don't really understand the whole western/Japanese divide. Western audiences somehow don't like Japanese games any more and Japanese audiences just don't buy western games. Why? I don't understand it.

I also don't understand the whole only for kids/family thing... I'm way too old to be a kid and I don't have kids of my own. I buy these games because they're fun and because they're very well made games that are well worth playing. If I bought games based on image, I'd guess I'd have to buy something like Mass Effect only since that's the expected demographic game a 28 year old gamer would be playing, I guess... that'd reduce my library of games down by 98% ...and make me very depressed considering how Mass Effect turned out.

I don't really see anything inherently overly Japanese about Xenoblade Chronicles. It does have some Japanese video game tropes, though western games have a lot of western game tropes in it... What Xenoblade does have is a hell of a lot of content, excellent gameplay, and a story that actually takes you to very interesting places and ****s with your mind in some points.

As for Skyward Sword, the sword controls are what make that game great. They finally got motion controls right with that game. If it were A button = swing sword, then they would have to throw out the entire games mechanics because you can't just swing your sword like an idiot and hope for the best thinking everything would just die. Enemies anticipated your moves and blocked your attacks, and this wasn't just crappy AI coded to make them block at random. The enemies READ your motion data and moved accordingly, with harder enemies being quicker to anticipate and black than easier ones. Again, without motion controls, that game would not have been as interesting as it was. Motion controls on Skyward Sword = BRILLIANT.

Motion controls for a lot of games were pretty meh, mostly because developers couldn't figure out how to make good use of them. But then there were other games that just KNEW how to use them. The irony is that Nintendo Land on Wii U has THE BEST motion controls in any game I've played and it's on a system where the motion controls are secondary to more traditional controls... but they're so well done because people had time to figure them out.

Moreover, the pointer controls on Wii is probably the best thing ever created, and is separate fromt he motion controls. Most games that used the pointer used it so damn well... again, have to give props to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories as one of the best third party examples of this... so good.

I've been using traditional controls since I was a child playing Super Mario Bro. on the NES... but that's also why I understand the importance of trying new things... otherwise we'd all be stuck with a D-Pad and two buttons to this day...

So far, with this new generation (Wii U, PS4, Durango), Nintendo has yet another new controller that can't be considered traditional, Sony is following suit with its changes to the DualShock, though still more traditional than the Wii U GamePad... but Microsoft is rumoured to have just a stock standard traditional controller that's just a refined mold of the current 360 controller.

Jim Sterling on always-online: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7100-Why-An-Always-On-DRM-Console-Would-Be-Dumb-Dumb-Dumb?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

Ah, Jim XD

New Super Mario Bros. really doesn't use motion controls and has the Wii-mote work as a controller.

I know. ;)

I'm a massive Sonic fan too! :D I think Sega has done really well with Sonic Colors(a Wii Exclusive ;)) and Sonic Generations. I think Sonic is going to make a comeback from his Dark Times if SEGA keeps up the quality!

Unfortunately Sonic Generations was confirmed by Sega to not be the route they will be taking the franchise through. A pity...

Jim Sterling on always-online:

"I'll still have GOG.com, I think I'm winning."

Hear, hear!

Sonic... it's amazing Sonic is still alive today with most of the Sonic games being so... well, bleah. Generations and Colo(u)rs was good, but in the grand scheme of things, not amazing considering they just went back to a more traditional way of doing things in those games. Sonic can't really stand on his own two feet when it comes to anything new and his shift from 2D to 3D has hurt him in terms of overall quality.

What Sonic needs is a game that redefines Sonic in such a way that it just changes everything for the better... and that hasn't happened for Sonic. Any change that has come from his games hasn't been for the best.

He truly is Mario's opposite.

Also, just so you guys know, Super Mario Galaxy uses traditional controls too ;)

What Sonic needs is a game that redefines Sonic in such a way that it just changes everything for the better... and that hasn't happened for Sonic.

Mario didn't have a game that redefined the brand. Mario just happens to work both in 2D and 3D, and Nintendo kept making games for both. Unlike Sega which stupidly ignored the 2D gameplay ever since Sonic Adventure.

I have to say, the only 3D Sonic game I liked was Sonic R, maybe because Yuji Naka and Hirokazu Yasuhara still worked on it.

More news have surfaced about the new 360 model and Durango. The new 360 (called Xbox Mini) won't have a disc drive, therefore making Games on Demand the only source to buy games. Since the prices there are a lot higher, the 360 S will remain my main goal.

Mario didn't just happened to work in 2D and 3D. A hell of a lot of effort was put into Mario 64 by Miyamoto and all of the other devs to make it RIGHT. In the countless interviews he's done about that game and how Mario has transitioned into 3D, he's clearly stated that it wasn't an easy task.

Also, it was years before another side scrolling traditional Mario game was released. The closest was Paper Mario but that was more RPG than traditional platforming Mario gameplay.

Somic does need a game that redefines what Sonic is in 3D if it wants critical acclaim and to be a respected franchise once again. They need the kind of effort that was put into transitioning Mario from 2D to 3D.

And about the new Xbox news... kind of fits into their model of having an always-online model where they're in direct control over your games... wonder if anyone will actually buy into it.

Mario didn't have a game that redefined the brand. Mario just happens to work both in 2D and 3D, and Nintendo kept making games for both. Unlike Sega which stupidly ignored the 2D gameplay ever since Sonic Adventure.

I have to say, the only 3D Sonic game I liked was Sonic R, maybe because Yuji Naka and Hirokazu Yasuhara still worked on it.

More news have surfaced about the new 360 model and Durango. The new 360 (called Xbox Mini) won't have a disc drive, therefore making Games on Demand the only source to buy games. Since the prices there are a lot higher, the 360 S will remain my main goal.

The xbox news sounds like a really dumb idea if you ask me. Why would you have to connect an old device to the new one to play old games on the new one? Why wouldnt you just keep your old 360 and just play the old games on there? They keep try to get out of backwards compatibility and I'm tired of it. I just bought another original xbox because the 360 does such a horrible job of backwards compatibility that I can't even play most of the games it claims to play well enough to make it worth it.

• 3 months later...

Well, I've just ordered an Xbox 360 S - 4Gb for 139€ (£120/$185) from Amazon.de, I think it was a good price. Ever since I started this thread, Microsoft announced the Xbox 360 E, but in comparison to the S model, it's missing a couple of USB ports and optical audio (not to mention that half the console is glossy, which I hate). It doesn't have touch sensitive buttons, which is a plus for me, but it's not enough to make it worth buying.

P.S: Now, as usually happens in my life, the price will drop a lot because I've just bought it...

EB Games had a mid-year sale down here recently... I ended up getting 51 games in the month of July, most were 360, some were PS3, Wii U, Wii and DS. But yeah, my 360 library has almost doubled in just one month lol.

Lots of good stuff. While games cost 100-100AUD new here, most of the games I got were priced between 50-9AUD, we're talking new as well, not used.

Also, yeah, the XBOX 360 E does look terrible... because it's mimicking the design of the Xbox One lol.

Archived