Home

Disney Shuts Down LucasArts, Cancels Star Wars 1313 And Star Wars: First Assault

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't say it's that big of a surprise. They pinned their hopes (and millions of dollars) on The Old Republic, and that didn't keep the subscribers. Still a shame though.

Well, get ready people. Modders are the last hope for the future of SW gaming.

I don't think this the end of nothing much, except a few jobs and maybe a few games that were in development by LA; unless some other company picks them up and continues with the development.

Sounds to me like a beginning of bigger, better and brighter things to come.

LF Rename to DisneyForums? :lol:

I wonder if The Monkey Island series will ever continue..

Doesn't TellTale have the license for that? I keep hoping they'll re-release the 3rd and 4th ones, if only for completion's sake. Overall, I'd say the move is good; LucasArts hasn't published a good game since the early oughts, so I'm not worried.

That's nice. I never wanted to see Star Wars 1313 anyway. /Sarcasm

Yeah but for real...that's truly ****ed up. Why is it that all the promising games from them get ripped away after we've had a sneak peek at them?

First Clone Wars and now this...thanks for nothing, Disney!

This is really not the case. Since Disney is licensing now, we're likely to see more Star Wars video games than ever before. Licensing an IP is virtually no-risk, so Disney is likely to allow as many developers as possible to make games as long as they pay the license.

I can't say it's that big of a surprise. They pinned their hopes (and millions of dollars) on The Old Republic, and that didn't keep the subscribers. Still a shame though.

This had nothing to do with swtor, plus in recent months that game has started to make a lot of money for EA because of all of the cartel market purchases people have been making. The way I see it, EA will be holding onto the Star Wars license and keeping swtor alive for as long as possible to make some real easy money from it. Number of subscrubers, for them, is a moot point now.

You guys can start with the JKII source code then... http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/04/in-tribute-to-lucasarts-raven-releases-the-source-code-for-jedi-knight-ii/

I don't understand why 1313 and First Assault couldn't be outsourced, though. It seems like such a waste...

Probably a medley of convoluted internal factors involved in the decision to axe, I'd wager.

Because Colonial Marines.

I f'in lol'd :D

I know Lucasarts really hasn't been doin much lately, but this company was iconic. I kinda feel like I just lost an arm or something.

This is kind of why I thought it wouldn't happen. Perhaps not to gamers today, but LucasArts has always been a strong brand name, most people associated it with good memories.

LF Rename to DisneyForums? :lol:

I wonder if The Monkey Island series will ever continue..

Doesn't TellTale have the license for that? I keep hoping they'll re-release the 3rd and 4th ones, if only for completion's sake. Overall, I'd say the move is good; LucasArts hasn't published a good game since the early oughts, so I'm not worried.

License is with LucasArts, they'd collaborated with Telltale for Tales of Monkey Island. The old adventure franchises are a major concern atm - Disney doesn't have a reason to care about them. If they're smart, they'll license them out to Telltale and co. to milk out sequels to Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle and so on, banking on nostalgia. If not, they'll just never notice them at all.

Either way, I hope Telltale tries to snatch up those IPs if possible.

in b4 the cease and desist letters

This is really not the case. Since Disney is licensing now, we're likely to see more Star Wars video games than ever before. Licensing an IP is virtually no-risk, so Disney is likely to allow as many developers as possible to make games as long as they pay the license.

I don't know much about Disney's video games branch, but do we have any evidence of this? I don't remember any great games based on their existing properties, including Marvel; and the total output is low as well. By contrast, during the prequel series, LucasArts was bombarding the market with SW games of various platforms and quality levels.

For all we know, 'more games' could just mean ****ty tie-in games, seeing as how Disney doesn't appear to have a clue what to do with the video games market other than treat it as digital merchandise.

I haven't been bothered to read up on it, cause I'm lazy... but does this mean we'll be getting the LucasFilm Ltd. logo showing up at the start of our Star Wars or Indiana Jones games, or will it still be LucasArts, but just in a licensing company capacity as it's done in the past?

...or... will be get a Disney or Disney Interactive logo? Oh man, please no.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Seems appropriate, given the circumstance.

I do seem to recall saying somewhere, SW:TOR would be Lucas' last major production before retiring for good...and while it has not played out literally this way to just that tune, it is more or less what happened. All of a sudden those SW games, and comics on the shelves everywhere are looking more desirable.

We knew for awhile this was coming, but now that it has, it still is a bummer because it marks the end of an era. I guess we are the future, here with our forum...

Actually glad now, I have made my place here in this forum's community among all of you. I mean it. Didn't think much of it but now I'm suddenly not so apathetic about what goes on here.

Guess I better get on with my new machine so I can play TOR and all that jazz, eh? :dev9:

Still, for the moment I'm going to play some music...can't be sure if it should be depressing or if it should renew hope as we stride into the future, looking back fondly...

I haven't been bothered to read up on it, cause I'm lazy... but does this mean we'll be getting the LucasFilm Ltd. logo showing up at the start of our Star Wars or Indiana Jones games, or will it still be LucasArts, but just in a licensing company capacity as it's done in the past?

The latter sounds like a very distinct possibility. :)

But it's really not a great surprise. As with any big corporate takeover, it's out with the old and in with the new.

There will still be Star Wars games (with a Disney logo :p), but the question is will they be on par with Kotor in terms of quality, or will they continue on following LucasArts' slow spiral downward.

I don't know much about Disney's video games branch, but do we have any evidence of this? I don't remember any great games based on their existing properties, including Marvel; and the total output is low as well. By contrast, during the prequel series, LucasArts was bombarding the market with SW games of various platforms and quality levels.

Kingdom Hearts is one magnificent cash cow.

The latter sounds like a very distinct possibility. :)

But it's really not a great surprise. As with any big corporate takeover, it's out with the old and in with the new.

There will still be Star Wars games (with a Disney logo :p), but the question is will they be on par with Kotor in terms of quality, or will they continue on following LucasArts' slow spiral downward.

Disney would have to be complete idiots to do away with such an iconic brand name.

LA got paid for TOR, BioWare and EA are the ones that took the risk with TOR (A risk that had some highs and lows, but now seems to be really paying off). LA just licensed the rights and cash the checks, the same thing Disney is saying they want to do, just cutting out the middle man, Lucas Arts.

Archived