Home

Disney Shuts Down LucasArts, Cancels Star Wars 1313 And Star Wars: First Assault

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The times I had with just the demo of Dark Forces.

The fun I had with Shadows of the Empire.

The original trilogy on the SNES, finally culminating in the last fight of ROTJ with a flying emperor throwing force lightning everywhere, having to be careful the ground didn't fall out from under you. That final escape from the second death star as it's exploding all around you.

The crazed cackling criminals as you, Jango Fett, hunt them.

The comics. The debates with friends. The RP games we still play today.

Man...what a rush. I think I will soon look back on my entire post history here for the memories. Just cuz LA is dead, doesn't mean this place has to go anywhere.

well, the wheels of the business bus just keep on turning. had to figure that Disney would cut these projects given LA's recent track record. i am, however, hoping that 1313 will get picked up by a third party dev because that one looked very promising. the real question on whether it gets picked up, though, is whether or not LA had made any truly significant progress on the game or not. putting out a cool demo for a trade show is one thing, but having a product that is mostly complete is something else altogether (Colonial Marines, i'm staring you down. :fist: )

would love it, but for some reason "Jar Jar's Big Lego Clone Wars Adventure Unleashed" popped into my head. :xp:
I love Lego SW. Me and my son are defeating the Empire with Obi-wan and Luke (and occasionally Darth Maul)!

I love Lego SW. Me and my son are defeating the Empire with Obi-wan and Luke (and occasionally Darth Maul)!

I love the Lego SW games to, I found Lego Star Wars III to a huge leap in graphics and epic scope, each of the characters do unique stuff! Mostly...

I can't resist picking Maul too...

I'm sure Disney will churn out more Lego SW now....

I had to play them to collect coins for my cousin and a friend's son to unlock stuff. So I have played through multiple times, both solo and grouped. Nothing wrong with them and they are well made IMO.

Just a joke. :D

lol, protest.

If you want to make your own Star Wars game, go ahead... what's stopping you? Of course, you won't be able to sell it unless you want a cease and desist letter from Disney. But then, if it's simply about making a fan project by working with mods of an existing game, that's already an option and has been an option for many years.

However, just because LucasArts is no more doesn't mean that suddenly there won't be any more Star Wars games made.

Why can't all the fan's of LucasArts Protest about it? Or even create a new Star Wars game by ourselves? There are ton's of good game engines to make one with.

What's there to protest? We're still going to get Star Wars games, probably at a higher rate than before. LA hadn't done so well in the last decade of its life, so why prolong that state of things?

If you want to make a Star Wars game, there's not much stopping you. There have been a few fan-made games, and now it's even more possible since the source codes for Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy have been made freely available to all.

Speaking of fan-made games, does anyone remember The Battle of Yavin and The Battle of Endor games? I used to play the hell out of Endor when I was younger.

Ahh, good memories.

If nothing, Obsidian will probably be the best test of what Disney's outlook for Star Wars games is going to be like.

If they actually let Obsidian make their dream game, then we know Disney's letting just about anyone make Star Wars games now.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Troll_Face.jpg

Something in the article said, "Chris Avellone, KOTOR2 lead designer, publicly praised their efforts, saying The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod team deserved "a lot of kudos". And they do - well done again!" I guess this means they tried the mod!

I think the future of Star Wars gaming is quite murky. I'm sure we'll get Star Wars games but how many, how often, and of what genre are very much unknown at this point.

My impression is that Disney is not a company that is really interested in core gaming, AAA gaming, or whatever you want to classify USD$60 games for console and PC as. Disney's actions thus far have supported Disney CEO Robert Iger's statement that the House of Mouse would focus on mobile and social games and would look to licensing for other game genres. In short, anybody who wants to make games like Battlefront, Knights of the Old Republic, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, etc. will have to obtain a license from Disney as well as line up financial backing from a publisher if they don't have an existing publisher relationship, e.g. Obsidian Entertainment. It's all quite doable but of course with a third party's involvement it's more complicated than the typical developer pitch to a publisher.

There is also the issue of alignment with the new Star Wars movie(s). If Disney was willing to end production on the fairly successful Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series for TV to focus on making the new movies then I think it stands to reason Disney may be looking to have any new Star Wars games support the new movie(s). My impression is that Episode 7 is far from being finalized so if Disney isn't interested in having any new Star Wars games that don't support the new movie(s) then we're at least a couple of years away from the next USD$60 Star Wars game for console/PC but probably longer.

In summary, I've a fairly pessimistic view of Star Wars gaming's future for the next few years. If you're satisfied with Angry Birds Star Wars or Star Wars characters being incorporated into Disney's new Infinity initiative then you'll probably be OK with the state of Star Wars gaming in the near term. If however like me you're looking for more meat to your Star Wars gaming experience then I firmly believe you'll have to wait a while. It looks like Star Wars: The Old Republic will be the only serious Star Wars gaming option out there for some time to come.

I think the future of Star Wars gaming is quite murky. I'm sure we'll get Star Wars games but how many, how often, and of what genre are very much unknown at this point.

My impression is that Disney is not a company that is really interested in core gaming, AAA gaming, or whatever you want to classify USD$60 games for console and PC as. Disney's actions thus far have supported Disney CEO Robert Iger's statement that the House of Mouse would focus on mobile and social games and would look to licensing for other game genres. In short, anybody who wants to make games like Battlefront, Knights of the Old Republic, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, etc. will have to obtain a license from Disney as well as line up financial backing from a publisher if they don't have an existing publisher relationship, e.g. Obsidian Entertainment. It's all quite doable but of course with a third party's involvement it's more complicated than the typical developer pitch to a publisher.

There is also the issue of alignment with the new Star Wars movie(s). If Disney was willing to end production on the fairly successful Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series for TV to focus on making the new movies then I think it stands to reason Disney may be looking to have any new Star Wars games support the new movie(s). My impression is that Episode 7 is far from being finalized so if Disney isn't interested in having any new Star Wars games that don't support the new movie(s) then we're at least a couple of years away from the next USD$60 Star Wars game for console/PC but probably longer.

In summary, I've a fairly pessimistic view of Star Wars gaming's future for the next few years. If you're satisfied with Angry Birds Star Wars or Star Wars characters being incorporated into Disney's new Infinity initiative then you'll probably be OK with the state of Star Wars gaming in the near term. If however like me you're looking for more meat to your Star Wars gaming experience then I firmly believe you'll have to wait a while. It looks like Star Wars: The Old Republic will be the only serious Star Wars gaming option out there for some time to come.

My thoughts exactly.

Not trying to troll here, but imho I really did not invest much faith in LucasArts that they would actually see these games (1313 and SW:FA) through to completion. LA has been dragging its knuckles for a while now, I think wasn't it the last CEO that stepped down caused a lot of developmental games to expire because of the mass layoffs occurring at the time. Anyway it's not the end of the world or the gaming world, there are still plenty of enjoyable game franchises out there that are backed by decent developing companies. I know that a lot of us won't heed these words but I'd rather remember the glory days of LA (Maniac Mansion, Monkey's Island, Super Star Wars, KOTOR I & II, etc) and continue playing those classics, remembering how they shaped my gaming cabinet rather than dwell on the inevitably obvious outcome of Disney's consumption of Lucasfilm. Just my 2 cents. /steps off soapbox

Archived