Home

Disney Shuts Down LucasArts, Cancels Star Wars 1313 And Star Wars: First Assault

Not trying to troll here, but imho I really did not invest much faith in LucasArts that they would actually see these games (1313 and SW:FA) through to completion. LA has been dragging its knuckles for a while now, I think wasn't it the last CEO that stepped down caused a lot of developmental games to expire because of the mass layoffs occurring at the time. Anyway it's not the end of the world or the gaming world, there are still plenty of enjoyable game franchises out there that are backed by decent developing companies. I know that a lot of us won't heed these words but I'd rather remember the glory days of LA (Maniac Mansion, Monkey's Island, Super Star Wars, KOTOR I & II, etc) and continue playing those classics, remembering how they shaped my gaming cabinet rather than dwell on the inevitably obvious outcome of Disney's consumption of Lucasfilm. Just my 2 cents. /steps off soapbox

I don't think that most people would disagree with you. I think a lot of us were hopeful, but we weren't holding our breath for titles like 1313 to be quality games or even ever released. We've all been stung by LA's broken promises at one time or another.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The big difference about Star Wars video games being made and things like The Clone Wars TV series is that Disney ended up with the bill for TCW. With licensing out the Star Wars brand to anyone who wants to make a video game, it's basically just Disney saying "you can use this license to make a Star Wars game out of your own money, we'll market it a little, don't need much and we'll share the profits, you can have a bit, I have have this big chunk."

The only problem is, which developers would take that offer if it's not sweet enough for them?

• 2 weeks later...

To be fair, Duke Nukem Forever isn't Gearbox's fault. All Gearbox did was give the folks from 3D Realms the chance to finish their game. It was they who were developing the game. All Gearbox did was bring it back from the dead and market it,that's it. They had no development involvement in it.

To be fair, Duke Nukem Forever isn't Gearbox's fault. All Gearbox did was give the folks from 3D Realms the chance to finish their game. It was they who were developing the game. All Gearbox did was bring it back from the dead and market it,that's it. They had no development involvement in it.

I thought there was some development involved? Enough to put a Psycho form Borderlands in there I suppose. :p Although not much. Either way I actually enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever. It definitely wasn't the best and kinda generic but it was nice change to all the COD clones out there.

One could almost say that something similar happened with Aliens. Gearbox didn't fully develop the game themselves, they had to outsource it to TimeGate. But that was still their fault since they were taking resources from Aliens to other games without SEGA's knowledge.

Still, Duke Nukem turned out to be an acceptable game, while Aliens...

The folks from 3D Realms made the game (rather they failed to make the game), 3D Realms went bust, Gearbox bought the rights and got the folks from 3D Realms, now calling themselves Triptych Games, back together so they could finish what they started. Then Piranha Games was hired to do the console ports and add multiplayer to the game. All Gearbox did was fund this effort, and yeah, the Psycho was added in after Gearbox started funding the project and Gearbox had a hand in it as far as telling them "you have this amount of time to make your game that you'll never finish be presentable enough for release"... and that's it.

The folks from 3D Realms made the game (rather they failed to make the game), 3D Realms went bust, Gearbox bought the rights and got the folks from 3D Realms, now calling themselves Triptych Games, back together so they could finish what they started. Then Piranha Games was hired to do the console ports and add multiplayer to the game. All Gearbox did was fund this effort, and yeah, the Psycho was added in after Gearbox started funding the project and Gearbox had a hand in it as far as telling them "you have this amount of time to make your game that you'll never finish be presentable enough for release"... and that's it.

And that, kids, is how crap is made.

That is how a game developers work doesn't go to total waste... you know, like with what's happened with LucasArts. Even if their games aren't as good as they used to be, their efforts deserve to be released, just like Duke Nukem Forever was eventually released.

Archived