Home

LucasArts - R.I.P.

Vagabond

Wow ... I can't remember the last time I visited my old stomping grounds here, but it's nice to be back. At least one more time. And though I may be speaking to an empty chamber, what memories I have of this place!

I made a lot of friends here, starting with Kurgan, Wilhuf, StormHammer, and many more. What a motley crew we were, hailing from all over the world, but joined in common purpose: our love of Star Wars games, ranging from "Jedi Knight: MotS" to "X-Wing Alliance". What fun we had!

I realize that my old friends are likely ghosts, long gone, scattered to the far corners of the world, living their lives. As it should be.

Still, I sometimes wonder if they ever think back on the old days. When we were young, the games were fun, and we laughed a thousand laughs! It seems so, so long ago, like a fading whisper, dimmed by age. I'll never forget them, and am privileged, if even for a short time, to have called them friends.

Yet, none of this would have come to pass without LucasArts, and their classic games. For the fun, the friends and the memories, I am truly grateful.

As most of you probably know by now, LucasArts has ceased operations, as of April 3, 2013:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/lucasarts-gaming-studio-shuttered-disney-article-1.1307749

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/in-game/51434865/#51434865

I think some of us knew this moment was coming - that LucasArts was near the end. For just as every journey has a first step, so must it have a last. Again, as it should be. As it was meant to be. I'll always have fond memories of LucasArts, and of this place.

Goodbye, LucasArts. And thank you ... for everything.

Nice to make your acquaintance. I'm one of the main residing folks around this bit here.

Why not visit around a little bit now that you're back? We fans are the future, and are all that is left of Star Wars.

You might pop your head into Yoda's Swamp, they would love to see an oldbie. Stormy has been through quite a bit, and though I hardly know him I do feel a bit for his loss. Dath has a kid now.

I hang out in the KOTOR section, the TOR section and the aforementioned Jedi Knight area. But by all means, chat it up while you're here too. In fact I think LF ought to have a poll thread or some kind of site wide hurrah. In fact I think I'll go and suggest that in the help section.

Yeah, I think we have all seen this coming. Disney doesn't want competition. At all.

We shall mourn its loss, now that it has come. Let us all reminisce about the past of this site, as recent or distant as it may be.

Star Wars 1313 was our last hope, and for a while, it seemed like things would pick up again... and then Lucas sold his company to Disney and everything became uncertain again.

I really wish LA had been given a last chance, they weren't even given that.

It sucks to see people lose jobs, and it blows to keep a promising game like 1313 up in the air like it is right now...but based on the quality of the games they have been releasing for the past 5-7 years, they were given plenty of chances to turn things around. Piss poor leadership is what ultimately doomed this company and Disney made the smart choice.

As a video from Rev3Games said, "It's sad to see them go, but it's kind of sad in a nostalgic way." In other words, I think I'm more sad because Lucasarts made some of the best games of my childhood, and I have very, very fond memories of those experiences. It's not all that sad when looking at the games that they just ended up publishing (e.g. KOTOR) compared to the ones they actually made recently (e.g. Force Unleashed).

Here's hoping that Disney chooses some good companies to license the Star Wars (and adventure) properties to.

Archived