Home

Adam Orth Resigns - Xbox Always On DRM

Vindikorr

Is 'always on' a good or a bad thing?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Is 'always on' a good or a bad thing?

• Always on is the work of emperor sidious and must be stopped!
    • Always on is the best thing since sliced bread! #dealwithit
    • I don't really care tbh.
    • Yoda.

Poll is useless without Yoda.

Orth's an adult who works in a professional industry for a professional company and he should have known better than to do what he did.

Even before the recent disasters related to always on DRM I can't say I was a fan of the idea. My internet is spotty nearly every day and I simply can't/won't buy a console that kicks me out of my game if the net's down. I really really hope that the rumor doesn't pan out.

Personally I believe Microsoft is floating the rumor to see the reaction, if it isn't that bad they could go with it. However, if the reaction is horible, then they can remove it and say they are the company that listen to their consumers. Publicity is always good, even if it is bad, at least people are talking about it. This is setting up for a win for Microsoft provided they keep internal people from unraveling it. Comments like that can undermine whatever publicity they receive.

I will not buy the new xbox as is, unless a game exclusive to it is released that I have to have, but that would be the same with always on DRM or without. Still think it is stupid. I play the Xbox now when I can't get online.

Rhett's already pretty much said everything that needs to be said about Orth, he's not an issue any more and he'll get no sympathy from me...

The issue of always-online on the other hand is still a major concern for everyone. There are a few scenarios that could happen since, at the moment these are all just rumours...

Not everyone around the world has the best internet connection, not everyone has the ability to connect to the Internet, not everyone can afford to buy new games, most can't afford to buy them ALL the time. A lot of these people are just children who want to play their game on their friends system or have decided to let their friend borrow a copy of their game. If you're a company who doesn't see value in these people and creates a product to make sure they can't get any benefit from your system, then you're a company who doesn't deserve my support.

An always-online model gives 0 benefit to you customers and only makes sure that you're sourcing your money from only the people who are rich and well off enough to support it. I understand that you can get just as much money, if not more, from the few people who have lots of money rather than from the many who have not as much money to give, but like Orth, I have no sympathy for your situation. I would rather see a world where everyone is able to play video games rather than the select few who bow down to your anti-consumerist will.

Of course, all of this are just rumours... which still leaves me with two choices.

If Durango turns out to not to have this always-online feature that forces you to have an internet connection to play video games and in addition, allows people to play used/borrowed games on their machines. Cool, I'm willing to considering buying you console depending on the games that are available on it.

If Durango turns out to be always-online and blocks people from playing games offline as well as used games. You have lost my support and I will never in my life purchase your product.

It's as simple as that.

1. Adam Orth's resigning should be treated as a separate issue from Xbox 720

2. 'Always On' and 'Always Online' are two vastly different things, even if Adam Orth seemed to confuse the two.

3. New leaks hint that despite 'always online', games will still be playable offline on the Durango, and so 'always online' remains as elusive and hazy as ever.

4. Whether it's a good or bad is irrelevant. Buy it if you like, buy the PS4/PC if you don't.

For the most part my interet connection does fine, however that's not to say that there wouldn't be issues getting onto the server due to high volume of internet traffic because of the trending game at the time. Anyway, the main reason I won't be getting a 720 is the cost, right now I can barely afford to get a used Ps3 plus a game.

Archived