Home

Favorite Sci-Fi Piece (Other than star wars)

Bob Saget

I would do this as a poll but there are so many options to consider so it's hard to do that. Anyway, what is your favorite Sci-fi that is NOT Star wars? Which moved you the most? In what ways?

For me, it's a tie between Firefly and Battlestar galactica. Firefly never really got the chance it deserved which saddened me, in which it could have blossomed even more. BSG however impressed me with how high it set the marker for Space Opera. I could swear I watch every episode from season 1 to the end. To me, it was Star Trek: Voyager done right. (and I watched that as a kid too)

Anyway, what's yours?

Could be anything

TV: Firefly, Star Trek: The Next Generation, or Battlestar Galactica

FILM: Alien, Bladerunner, Serenity, Titan AE, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, or Star Trek (2009)

GAME: StarCraft, Halo, Warhammer 40,000, Dead Space, Doom, Mass Effect, EVE, Red Faction, or Fallout

Just to name a few.

I can't pick one and could most likely think of more.

Movies: The Thing (1982), Aliens (1986), Planet of the Apes (1968), Blade Runner (1982), Logan’s Run (1976), The Fifth Element (1997), Cowboys & Aliens (2011), Signs (2002), The Time Traveler’s Wife (2009), Stargate (1994), Tremors (1990), Flash Gordon (1980), Frequency (2000), Time Bandits (1981), Timecop (1994), Westworld (1973), Lifeforce (1985), Outland (1981), Heavy Metal (1981), Enemy Mine (1985), The Time Machine (1960), Forever Yong (1992), Starman (1984), Highlander (1986), The Andromeda Strain (1971), Screamers (1995)

You really want more… :)

oh snap, the choices.... the choices.....

TV:

Star Trek: TNG

Star Trek: Enterprise

Firefly

Doctor Who

Movies:

Serenity

Blade Runner

Pitch Black

Star Trek III, IV

Star Trek (2009)

Wall-E

Jurassic Park, The Lost World

Alien, Aliens

Predator, Predators

Minority Report

Iron Man

Games:

Halo franchise

Mass Effect trilogy

Crysis 1, 2

Dead Space 1, 2

AVP 2

Half Life 2

Starcraft

and i'm sure that those lists could be expanded way, way out further...

Planet of the Apes and the movies too

Both Heavy Metal and Heavy Metal 2000

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Red Planet

Ghosts of Mars

Mission to Mars

Lost in Space and the movie too

2001: A space Odyssesy

All of the Alien movies

All of the Predator movies

Blade Runner

Barbarella

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century

Dune

The Fifth Element

Time Bandits

Lost in Space and the movie

The Chronicles of Riddick

The Black Hole

District 9

Stargate and the movies

Total Recall

WALL-E

There's more, but can't think of them right now.

Edit: Just thought of another one.

Sadly, there hasn't been a lot of good science fiction out for nigh on a decade now, IMO. Not on television, anyway. Sure there's been some half decent shows - FlashForward, for example - but nothing that's lasted long enough to really mature into what it could have been. And of course we've seen some baldly mediocre (Firefly/Serenity, the V remake), and just downright dull and insipid (Stargate: Universe). Very little actually stands out in a good way. At least not to me.

Apart from Doctor Who, though, I'm really enjoying SPACE/BBCA's new drama Oprhan Black so far. It's only had three episodes, but it's started well. And I don't know if it really counts as science fiction, but another "Genre" show I'm pretty into right now is The Following, which definitely has strong suspense/horror elements to it.

TV: ST (original....more for charachters than anything else) and B5. ST spinoffs not so much. Q was fun villian and the 10% or so that weren't overly science/exploration oriented. Garek was probably best thing about DS9. B5 mostly made me stopping following (even half-heartedly) anything ST at that point. There have been a number of decent also rans.....but those are prob faves.

Movies: Too many to mention (and a # already covered above).

Books: hard to say. like sci-fi w/military flavor (Drake, Pournelle, STAR FIST series, etc..) assorted SW titles (usually Zahn's stuff)

Games: KOTOR/TSL/TOR, ME series (despite its flaws), HL 2

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer my sci-fi to be about some scientific breakthrough and the consequences of that breakthrough(main reason i never really cared for Star Wars).

Games:

Alpha centauri: Aside from the main plot, the rest is fantastic and one of the most believable settings in a game, it also makes you really feel like you are taking a civilization into the future.

Deus ex: should be obvious why.

Mass Effect: would be amazing if there was a way to remove Shepard, the Starchild and his gooey reapers in addition to mechaSaren/illusive man (and probably also the Asari) from it .

• 2 months later...

Oh man, this has to be 2001. I just loved it, and it's definitely much better than any other sci-fi story I've seen. The movie was decent, and didn't really make much sense, but Clarke did a spectacular job in the novel. He does an awesome job at suspense, and I never hesitated to turn to the next chapter, and then book. So sad he could never expand further onto the story, and it seems like the media has, for the most part, given up on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived