Home

Bombings at Boston Marathon

Darth_Calo

Yesterday, on April 15th 2013, at 2:50pm, two explosive devices were detonated at the Finish line of the Boston Marathon in Boston, Massachusetts.

For those of you that don't know, the Boston Marathon is an internationally known and renowned sporting event which attracts runners from across the globe. Running approximately 26.2 Miles from Hopkinton, MA to Boston's Copley Square, it has become a staple of Boston tradition.

In the course of this tragedy, over 170 people have been confirmed injured; 17 critically so. As of this posting, the death toll sits at 3, including 8 year old Martin Richard.

The day is also significant: Yesterday was Patriot's Day, which is a holiday in Boston that celebrates the role Boston (and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as a whole) in the American Revolutionary War in 1776.

This is truly a horrific tragedy. However, I remain a proud Bostonian and I know the City of Boston and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts will stand strong.

As I was telling my friends - the saddest part about this event (aside from the killings/injuries) is that it felt so incredible real and possible. When 9/11 occurred, it was one of those situations where I just questioned what I had just seen on TV, and if it was really real - I couldn't believe it.

When I first heard about the bombings, I was instantly sad and upset, but I wasn't in disbelief. It just all seems so entirely possible.

This is the world we live in. I don't walk around in fear, and I feel very safe no matter where I am, but the fact that I can hear about an event and not actually question if it's real or not is just downright sad.

When I first heard about 911, my thought was "wow, what took them so long to figure that out?" Our open society has always been our soft underbelly. I'm just a little surprised we've not seen more of this by now. We live in a twisted world, but have mostly been able to take safety for granted. It makes you wonder if this trend is going to intensify further. A lot of people who hate America out there. I just hope people don't try to barter their rights away for false promises of safety.

Update: Suspect #1 was killed early in the morning Today 4/19/13; Suspect #2 Captured ALIVE today 4/19/13

Mayor Thomas M. Menino

@mayortommenino

"We got him."

Boston Police Dept.

@Boston Police

CAPTURED!!! The hunt is over. The search is done. The terror is over. And justice has won. Suspect in custody.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived