Home

Electronic Arts Selected for Multi-Year Agreement for the Future of Star Wars Gaming

Alexrd

Today it was announced that Lucasfilm Ltd. and Disney Interactive are entering into a multi-year, multi-title exclusive licensing agreement with Electronic Arts Inc. (EA) for the creation of new high quality Star Wars games spanning multiple genres for console, PC, mobile, and tablets.

Industry leaders and creators of best-in-class blockbuster games, the development and publishing teams at EA will collaborate with the creative teams at Lucasfilm to provide audiences with all-new gaming experiences set in the ever-expanding Star Wars galaxy. As part of the agreement, EA studio teams DICE (Battlefield series) and Visceral (Dead Space series) will join BioWare (Mass Effect series, Star Wars: The Old Republic) in the development of new Star Wars games.

"Our number one objective was to find a developer who could consistently deliver our fans great Star Wars games for years to come," said Kathleen Kennedy, President of Lucasfilm. "When we looked at the talent of the teams that EA was committing to our games and the quality of their vision for Star Wars, the choice was clear."

While EA studios will develop for the core Star Wars gaming audience, Disney Interactive will focus on delivering new Star Wars games for casual audiences on mobile, social, tablet, and online gaming platforms.

"This agreement demonstrates our commitment to creating quality game experiences that drive the popularity of the Star Wars franchise for years to come," said John Pleasants, co-president of Disney Interactive. "Collaborating with one of the world's premier game developers will allow us to bring an amazing portfolio of new Star Wars titles to fans around the world."

"Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe," said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. "Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay."

More information, including titles in development, will be announced in the coming months. Continue to check StarWars.com for updates on the future of Star Wars gaming.

Source

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I'd like to see a KotOR III, making it would be stupid from a financial POV since they already have TOR out there. They will probably make an RPG for the sequel era (or during the timespan between Episodes VI and VII). That's my guess at least...

Visceral - 1313

Bioware - KotOR 3

DICE - Battlefront 3

...at least, that's my quicklist of what I'd like first up.

To be honest, this could be where EAs cash cow-milking could benefit us. With this new deal, we may ACTUALLY see Battlefront 3 and KotOR 3. Has hope been reignited?!?!?

This deal makes a lot of business sense to me. We'll see how EA and their developers at DICE, Visceral, and BioWare perform but I've no doubt EA will execute and get SW games to market, something LucasArts struggled to do over the last few years. I too must admit to not being a fan of the microtransaction (a.k.a. nickel-and-dime-you-for-additional-game-content) business model that EA execs say they're putting in place. And I'm not sure if Obsidian will get an opportunity to do more Star Wars games now with EA having the rights to making "core" SW games.

I noticed I have started thinking in terms of B.D. (Before Disney) and A.D. (After Disney) when it comes to Star Wars now because more and more it looks to me like SWAD is going to run all over lore established during the SWBD time period. I think this helps me to mentally prepare for all the stuff that is going to get retconned. :animelol:

Ugh. Not thrilled with this in the least. Sure, EA does get a good game out every now and then, but most of their stuff is rather forgettable. Also, given their track record, we can never expect a Star Wars game without cover-shooting, regenerating health and heavily-scripted, possibly QTE-filled "cinematic" moments.

Now, sure, it'd be nice to have KoTOR 3, but given Bioware's recent track record, I'm not so sure I want them doing it anymore.

Hrm, on the one hand, whatever EA's minions produce probably couldn't be any worse than the dross LA themselves have released over the last few years. On the other, urgh, exclusivity. I'd much rather cast the net as wide as possible. Ups the chance that someone might actually produce the first decent Star Wars game in years.

To be honest, this could be where EAs cash cow-milking could benefit us. With this new deal, we may ACTUALLY see Battlefront 3 and KotOR 3. Has hope been reignited?!?!?

Given Bioware's recent developments, such as their laziness in ME3, I'm not holding my breath. I would have preferred Obsidian to Bioware for Kotor 3, especially since I am of the opinion that Kotor II was far superior to Kotor I

Any monopoly over a certain field is bad. When it's EA it's even worse. The fact that EA have complete control over what gets churned out with the Star Wars logo on the front will mean they will have even less of a reason than usual to actually make the games good, as whatever they produce they know will sell.

Whether Battlefront 3, KotOR 3, 1313 or First Assault get made is irrelevant. Without a good studio to make them they will be terrible, and forever tarnish the good name of Star Wars.

Archived