Home

Canon and New Movies, Your Opinion?

mimartin

In your view how important is it for the new Star Wars movies no contradict Canon?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. In your view how important is it for the new Star Wars movies no contradict Canon?

Another Poll Question from Char Ell, so credit, blame goes to him.

In your view how important is it for the new Star Wars movies to not contradict/retcon existing Star Wars canon established by books, comics, and video games of the Expanded Universe set in the time period after Return of the Jedi?

-Utmost importance - the new movies should not retcon anything already established in the post-RotJ EU.

-Fairly important - the new movies should make every effort to not retcon post-RotJ EU but some retcons may be acceptable.

-Indifferent - it's fine if the new movies retcon post-RotJ EU and OK if they don't do any retcons too.

-Not very important - post-RotJ EU isn't much to get excited about, retcons are acceptable and to be expected.

-Not at all important - blow away the entire post-RotJ EU and start fresh!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on the canon being contradicted. If they suddenly say "lol JK Yoda didn't die" I'll be annoyed. If they say that there was no truce at Bakura, I'll be fine.

Other than that, Kyle Katarn being there is a must, Rosh Penin is optional, Jaden Korr is optional (mostly because they were relatively minor video game only characters), and the Thrawn Trilogy must be kept intact.

Other than that....Chewie dies? Jacen goes all evil pants? Some fat evil wound-in-the-force/shapeless blob tries to eat Han and Leia's son, conveniently enough named Anakin? It can all be disregarded.

I would enjoy seeing the events of The Courtship of Princess Leia in film, if only because it would 'complete' that arc started in A New Hope

I would enjoy seeing the events of The Courtship of Princess Leia in film, if only because it would 'complete' that arc started in A New Hope
Really long courtship if they are going to have Carrie Fisher play Leia. :xp:

Going to say fairly. Would say utmost but also recognize a need of creative flexibility sometimes.

I too don't have a problem for retconning canon if it's hurtful to the series or just sucky. Problem is your opinion may differ from the next one's and so-on.

Legacy and its apparent successor...I understand it isn't all that hot, but at least they're trying to come up with new content that is fairly original.

I understand the original trilogy is iconic. However, we need some fresh air. If people cant distinguish Malgus from Vader, or republic troops from clones and stormtroopers? As Ron White would say:

741817_orig.jpg

"There's your sign".

I liked Kyle Katarn's stuff.

Never read the NJO series. So, honestly I can't say I'd be too torn about it if other stuff got nerfed.

Heard thrawn was good but never read it. Yeah, I know, burn the heretic. :roleyess:

So it is what it is. Take it for what you will.

I don't know or care much about post-RotJ expanded universe, apart from the Yuuzhan Vong and some weird **** like Luke's kids or something, so no, I couldn't care less. Whatever J.J. Abrams does, I'm certain it will be better than what's squatting on the spot right now.

(JJ ABRAMS IF YOU'RE READING THIS READ MY JADEN KORR FANFIC IT IS THE PERFECT SCRIPT)

(JJ ABRAMS IF YOU'RE READING THIS READ MY JADEN KORR FANFIC IT IS THE PERFECT SCRIPT)

Offtopic - can you link me to it in a pm? sounds intriguing.

Either way, I doubt Disney will retcon too much, though I'd be happy to see the Emperor's clones gone. What a disastrous story that was.

Really long courtship if they are going to have Carrie Fisher play Leia. :xp:

Ha! Yes, well, maybe they find new actress to portray Leia.

And a new actor for Han

And a new actor for Luke

Yes, I know I speak blasphemy by suggesting that, but none of the "big three" stars from A New Hope - Return of the Jedi have aged particularly well.

I love alot of the EU so I picked Fairly Important, some parts of the EU can have silly stuff so I wouldn't mind a little recon here and there. I really hope the EU stays intact, the many authors who have worked in the EU has made a great effort in having a stable continuity, for the most part. And things that are retconned I wouldn't mind having rewrites or additions.

I think the Halo novel The Fall of Reach had some changes after the release of Halo:Reach due to the game kinda changing some things that didn't match with the novel.

I'd like to see them wipe the slate clean so-to-speak and retcon the post-ROTJ EU. That being said, I would love to see them pull characters and ideas from that content to make a new, untold story. Its going to be interesting to see what they do...

Yes, I know I speak blasphemy by suggesting that, but none of the "big three" stars from A New Hope - Return of the Jedi have aged particularly well.
Harrison Ford aged extremely well, he is just 70 years old now. Hell he was still convincingly playing his type of action hero in his 60's.

In Fisher case, to borrow from Ford's list of famous lines, "It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage."

Harrison Ford aged extremely well, he is just 70 years old now. Hell he was still convincingly playing his type of action hero in his 60's.

In Fisher case, to borrow from Ford's list of famous lines, "It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage."

maybe; maybe. but if they get a younger actress for Leia they have to do the same for Han. In my opinion.

I saw Mark Hamil on an episode of Chuck a while back -- 2011 maybe--didn't look like the same guy.

Archived