Home

Canon and New Movies, Your Opinion?

mimartin

In your view how important is it for the new Star Wars movies no contradict Canon?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. In your view how important is it for the new Star Wars movies no contradict Canon?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lots of mediocre stuff since original series. Doubt most people would know what got nerfed if they did contradict it....until some enraged fanboy made a stink. Even then....most probably woudn't care. Thrawn best of lot, Rogue Squadron stuff wasn't too bad. Katarn can stay too. the rest........

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking about it. I'd accept a "midquel" of sorts. Think Lion King 1 1/2. Between A New Hope and Empire Strikes back. What other systems does Vader search? Other stuff as well. Or maybe between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. The Great Jedi Purge took a long time, and there was nearly 20 years between ROTS and ANH.

Oh and I selected "Yoda" because if they could work Yoda into it, that would make it better. I think so at least.

• 4 weeks later...

I would be fine with very, very minor events being rewritten, rearranged, or overridden, but deleting whole chunks like the Yuuzhan Vong War, or major events like the deaths of Chewie or the Solo kids is just going too far, regardless of how the public feels about these events. I will not consider the new films canon if they do.

And honestly, I don't understand why everyone is so butt hurt over Chewie's death. In fiction, as in real life, people die. This included likable characters. Loss is real and isn't choosy.

Honestly, I think it would be better to completely ignore every facet of it. The current universe can officially be an AU.

I really can't see any good story being written within the constraints of the EU. And I loved a lot of the EU.

Also, making a totally different canon means that the writers have the option to include stuff we all love (or that at least some of us love).

However... I really want them to include some of the the EU characters if possible. Tell completely different stories with them, or even relegate them to cameos, but I'd love to see Thrawn, Mara Jade, and other iconic characters like that make appearances or play roles.

But let's be honest, a large amount of the EU stuff is either crap or works well but could easily make the new movies crap if they tried to stick to it. I'm willing to be proven wrong here, but I doubt I will be.

To me, that would be a major sellout for Star Wars since the whole alternate universe thing (where everything outside of the movies is not recognized, and its continuity is not heeded between authors) is something that Star Wars has not suffered from, as opposed to, say, Star Trek. It was the first franchise to take such a thing seriously, and others have since followed suit. To go back on that would be a slap in the face to the other writers as well as their fans.

Now, I'm not suggesting meticulous adherence to the EU. Certain events can be retconned, rewritten, or even overridden (but not major events, like Chewie's death or the whole Yuuzhan Vong War, as others here have suggested). After all, the EU itself does this all the time with new material. I'm suggesting adhering to the general timeline as a whole, as well as its events.

• 2 weeks later...
To me, that would be a major sellout

...sell...out...?

This doesn't fit any definition of "sellout" that I have ever been aware of.

Also understand that I'm not speaking of in-story alternate universes. Just separate canons.

I think the writers should be free to do what they want. If they want to include the Vong and offing Chewie, then sure. If they don't, then, well, forget it.

• 1 month later...

They should try to make as valid a story as possible if they want to please the fanbase, but some retcons are inevitable. Just make sure they're minor.

• The Republic and Empire have cooler looking ships? Go right ahead!
    The
Second Imperium crisis happened earlier? We'll get used to it.
There was no New Jedi Order? Not gunna happen!
Palpatine wasn't cloned? :argh:
Kyle Katarn didn't exist? I disapprove.

And so on.

• 2 months later...

Would be ineresting to see the new movies focus on Luke and Kyle.Mabye about their history,how they met...mabye Kyle's fall to the dark side and his return.But that wouldn't take the focus that much on Luke as much as it would on Kyle wich is fine by me.Hopefully they will keep the original cast,introduce Kyle's character and mabye the new movies be actually be bout him.

• 1 month later...

I think there's very little chance that the new movies will discuss pretty much anything from the EU at all, unless it's a nod here and there, or the powers-that-be happen to like a character that could fit in the new story.

And personally, even as a fan of the EU, I'm totally fine with that. Much of the EU contradicts itself already - that doesn't make me like any of it less. The Clone Wars animated series also contradicted much of the EU - those books and other media can still be enjoyed even though they are against a higher level of canon. The Clone Wars also borrowed here and there from the EU, which was nice to see at times.

I prefer it when the creators are big fans of the saga, and show reverence toward it. This was the case for Dave Filoni and The Clone Wars, and I feel is probably also true for JJ Abrams. It's in good hands. But EU stories aren't going to be on the silver screen... they just aren't Ep VII movie material.

• 2 weeks later...

Well...

Lucasfilm has decanonized the entire present EU, to make for a new slate of expanded universe stuff.

Old-EU elements can potentially be brought into the new EU in another form, but beyond that... yeah.

Judging from the poll results, this could have interesting reactions from SW fandom overall...

^^Slight correction, Red: Disney actually made that decision. GL is just an advisory figure.

So far, it's getting a predicted reaction, a catch 22. They love the new move for getting rid of things they didn't like, they bemoan it for getting rid of what they did like.

^^Slight correction, Red: Disney actually made that decision. GL is just an advisory figure.

So far, it's getting a predicted reaction, a catch 22. They love the new move for getting rid of things they didn't like, they bemoan it for getting rid of what they did like.

Nope, I was correct the first time. Lucasfilm was bought by Disney, along with the Star Wars franchise, so I did in fact meant to say Lucasfilm. Lucasfilm is, of course, part of Disney, so yes, Disney, but that's not a correction. ;)

I normally wouldn't make such a nitpicky counter-correction, but this has been the response literally every time that I've heard this brought up! ;P I think it's something about how people instinctively want to frame things...

I think it'll be interesting to see what elements get brought back into the new canon and what stays left out...

Nope, I was correct the first time. Lucasfilm was bought by Disney, along with the Star Wars franchise, so I did in fact meant to say Lucasfilm. Lucasfilm is, of course, part of Disney, so yes, Disney, but that's not a correction. ;)

I normally wouldn't make such a nitpicky counter-correction, but this has been the response literally every time that I've heard this brought up! ;P I think it's something about how people instinctively want to frame things...

Nah you didn't come across as nitpicky. Humorous rather. Nice distinction there: LucasFilms, that is now Disney, and not the man himself.

--TBH I still blame him ...to some extent. :dev9:

I think it'll be interesting to see what elements get brought back into the new canon and what stays left out...

Darth Bane was part of the original work, so that will remain. But I hear his apprentice was "supposed to be" male. Obviously Revan's holocron will not be part of it anymore. So I guess we're back to the comic Bane of the Sith.

Archived