Home

Computer upgrade advice

Hey guys basically I want to upgrade my computer; I couldn't exactly tell you what I have in it but I do know it isn't fast enough for my taste. I don't really know a lot about putting this stuff together ill probably just buy it and take it in, but I do know when upgrading a computer I need a good power supply system to give me good power. So if you guys shoot me the names of the hardware ill buy it....unless you want to send me the names AND buy it, but whatever ;)

oh and I don't want to spend a CRAZY amount I got the computer for about $1200 and I don't want to spend much more than that.

Thanks!! .:LR:.

That 5570 is inadequate for gaming. You'll need at least a 7770 or GTX 650 Ti, both of which can be found for around $100 after mail-in rebate.

Also, dual-core CPUs are obsolete for modern games. You can get a quad-core Phenom II for less than $100 these days.

Replacing those two items would dramatically increase your PC's gaming performance. 4GBs more RAM wouldn't hurt, either.

Depends on your power supply. You might not need to replace it since today's video cards don't draw very much juice, but, then again, you might. Post what you've got. Replacing it with an adequate model shouldn't run any more than $40. The video card should be your first priority, as it will provide the biggest performance boost.

EDIT: As far as the CPU is concerned, apparently you're sitting on a Phenom II X4 already. PII X2s are simply X4s with 2 cores disabled. All you have to do is unlock the cores in the BIOS and stress test it. Of course, it's not 100% guaranteed to work, but, if it does, there will be no need to buy a new one, so it's definitely worth a try.

It's in the BIOS.

I would suggest downloading your motherboard's manual, thumbing through it and watching

to familiarize yourself with the BIOS before you attempt anything. The first thing you're going to want to do after that is update your BIOS to the newest version.

As far as determining what PSU model you have, it's as simple as reading the sticker on the housing. You might have to unscrew it from your case and turn it around to see it, though.

Archived