Home

KotOR widescreen scaling (1366x768)

Lestat57

Hi there, my first time on this site

TL;DR - need mod which would move the position of cursor by 17 pixels upwards and GUI mod to fit res 1366x785 (there already are some GUI mods for other resolutions) (EDIT: actually 1366x768 because that one is actually displayed). Or some creative workaround.

The problem with this game seems simple to an unprofessional eye (my eye) but may be challenging or impossibru in reality (due to cursor being HW accelerated; SW acceleration isn't an option as it moves only in the middle "square" if the resolution is too big and lags anyway)

KotOR, being an older game, doesn't natively support widescreen resolutions. There are some workarounds around this so you can set up custom resolution (found on http://www.wsgf.org/article/star-wars-knights-old-republic ) BUT there is one problem:

If you set height to be less than 785 pixels, the texts won't display correctly (= not at all). Say you have native 1366x768 res AND graphic card incapable of downscaling (which is 9 out of 10 cases). The only working option you have is to set up a custom 1366x785 resolution, which makes the game work without problems but results in the fcked up GUI (which should be pretty easy to correct for someone who knows the drill) and the tip of the cursor appearing 17 pixels under it's actual position (due to resolution being bigger than your screen is displaying).

Just so you can imagine it - say you float the cursor down over the menu options. Instead of different options to highlight when you actually run over it with with the tip of cursor, it highlights 17 pixels "later", when you already are in the middle - which can result in cursor appearing already in the other option while still highlighting the upper option box.

Don't know if I explained myself clearly but I trust many users have 1366x768 (or similar) and are experiencing this problem and many would be grateful if something could be done about it.

Would it be possible?

If not the cursor, can someone please at least set up a custom 1366x768 GUI? I'd be very grateful.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem as you. I've got a laptop with Nvidia Optimus (Nvidia GT 540m + Intel HD 3000) and a 1366x768 screen. Optimus apparently can't do resolution downscaling, which annoys me to no end.

I seem to recall making a thread about the problem, but can't seem to find it now. Odd.

Anyway, I've found a solution to this banal problem through the use of a program called Flawless Widescreen.

This program is awesome. It's made for making games run properly at "super-widescreen resolutions", but It works for 1366x768 as well (and presumable any other widescreen resolution). It has a specially made plugin for KotOR, that automatically makes the game run at your desired resolution, while dynamically creating properly scaled menu backgrounds and HUD item placements. Movies are scaled properly, and most impressively, *dialogue is displayed correctly*. It does all this through memory manipulation, so there's no need to patch the game's exe like with UniWS (this also means that it works fine with the Steam version of the game, i.e. no need for cracks). You don't even need to do any swkotor.ini editing - FWS does it all for you.

So here's how to do it:

tl;dr: Install Flawless Widescreen + KotOR plugin; run KotOR with FWS in the background; change resolution in-game to 1366x768; play.

Full steps:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
1. Obtain Flawless Widescreen

2. Extract the archive to its own folder

3. Run the program (confirm Windows UAC)

4. You will be greeted with a splash screen asking if you want to change any settings. You don't need to do this, so click "No" (or click "Yes" if you want to see the settings. But don't change anything in there)

5. In the list found on the left side of the program window, find the entry "Star Wars: KOTOR"; click on it

6. Flawless Widescreen will now download and activate its KotOR plugin.

7. Now, on the information pane on the right, you'll see that FWS requires you to have run the game at least once before using FWS. Make sure you've done that.

8. With FWS running, run KotOR like you normally do.

9. Go into the options and change the screen resolution to the new options of 1366x768

10. You'll see that scaled menu backgrounds have been created, but they're not quite right. Ignore it for now.

11. Load up a saved game/start a new one. Holy Mother of Resolutions! The GUI is perfect! Dialogue works!

12. Close the game and start it again. On my setup, I get an appcrash if I start KotOR too soon after closing it, so wait a few seconds if you have to.

13. The menu backgrounds are properly done now. KotOR is now officially working perfectly @ 1366x768.

Here are some screenshots demonstrating it working:

picture.php?albumid=271&pictureid=9513

picture.php?albumid=271&pictureid=9512

FWS's developers deserve a medal. They've provided a solution to a problem that's being plaguing laptop KotOR users for years. If I wasn't a broke university student, I'd donate these guys some money right now.

• 3 months later...

I know this thread is a few months old, but I just want to thank the person who made or posted the Flawless widescreen program link.

Every time I used to play KotOR, it would be fine, years and years of perfect play-threw, but that was until last year in September. From then on, both my KotOR and KotOR II crashed when I would try to play it in full screen mode. I tried different resolutions, different patches, guides, advice from forums for weeks, re-installing things in different order to see if there were conflicts with the patches on KotOR or my system. I tried so many things, endlessly until I gave up trying to play in full screen.

This Flawless link, increased the max screen size I could use, and prevented the crashes during start up (other than the crash I always the first time I change resolution). It also allowed me to then use my full gaming graphics (which I could not before-hand for unknown reasons). o.O

Anyway, for me the set-up was a little different than what was mentioned above, but only slightly. :)

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello, even in 2016 this does NOT WORK.

In fact, after trying the widescreen program, the game attempted to launch, and then flat out when into a tiny little box that refused to load after that point.

Can someone please post another option on how to fix the custom resolution, then a buggy program that only works randomly?

Archived