Home

Games you have spent most time with

mur'phon

Title says it all really, which games have you played most and why? I'm curious because most of the ones on my list are not exactly the ones I'd consider the "best games of all time", while my absolute favorites don't make the list at all.

1: Rome Total War: Why? Because each campaign takes forever to finish, most of the factions are different enough to be fun, and it's the total war game with the most diverse unit roster.

2: Icewind Dale 2: Why? Because who needs a good story when the game play is so good? Sadly, it probably makes the list more for the lack of similar games than for how good it is. And who knows, the next time I'm stuck with an under powered laptop I might even finish it.

3: Morrowind: Why? Levitation spells, something Skyrim is badly in need of thanks to its enormous Cliff Racers.

4: Mech Warrior 4: Mercenaries: Like with IWD2 this probably has a lot to do with lack of similar games, though the fact that I was unable to complete one mission for several years (even on easy) probably contributed.

5: Jedi Academy: No, it's not a masterpiece, but as long as it remains the best force powered-badass sim, I'm going to keep playing it.

6: Every other total war game after Rome.

7: Dynasty warriors 4: What can I say, split screen multiplayer is uncommon on PC.

8: Planescape Torment. Only finished it once, but changing the nature of a man takes time.

Well... To name a few:

Pokemon Crystal and Sapphire. Over 250 hours logged in each. I was 7 and 9 respectively, had no friends, and thus a lot of free time.

Mass Effect series. Do I really have to explain this one?

StarCraft series. The past 15 have been good to me.

WarCraft series. The past 19 have also been good to me.

PlanetSide 2. 12,000 people per server and 4,000 per continent, the developers are very active in the community with the Roadmap feature, and it's free.

Natural Selection 2. It's what AVP 2010 and Colonial Marines should have been.

Supreme Commander: it's a great game lots of replay ability each game has 3 campaigns, a multiplayer, and there's 3 of them so that dosent hurt. I mean come on its where my name comes from :D

Colony a RTS: It was made by some normal programmer and then submitted to http://www.armorgames.com and quickly became there most played game ever is that enough of a reason?

Stronghold 1&2&legends(not 3): Why? Because each game takes me as long as kotor to beat and who dosent love building there own castles?

TOR: it's an MMO it's easy to spend lots of time in... I mean on ;).

Kingdom Hearts: not to copy bean lord but givin that I was 9 and had no friends these games were my friends.

Hmmm, OK here goes:

Warcraft games (not WoW) - good campaigns, but more importantly great map editors. I've made two 30 level campaigns for WC3 (one for Reign of Chaos and one for The Frozen Throne). You can imagine that might have kept me pretty darn occupied, but before that I had loads of fun with Warcraft 2 Tides of Darkness and its expansion Beyond the Dark Portal and also some fun with the first Warcraft.

Starcraft games - similar reason, but mostly applies to the first Starcraft, made a large campaign for that one too. I'm currently making a SC2 map, kid of a self-contained story with original characters that tries to fit into the overall plot of SC2. Unlike other Blizzard RTS games, I doubt I'll make much more than this one map.

Dragon Age Origins - finished it six times, completionist playthroughs. Awakening expansion (two playthroughs out of six) and DLC included. 'Nuff said.

Hitman series - especially Silent Assassin and Blood Money. Awesome games that let you approach the mission the way you want to and kill your target(s) in a lot of interesting ways.

KoTOR series - was there ever any doubt these games took a nice chunk of my free time? :D

Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy - as mur'phon said, these are still the best force-powered Star Wars games out there. And they have a bunch of interesting mods (Although I was mostly focused on additional Multiplayer characters and stuff like that).

Heroes of Might and Magic III - I just loved playing this one as a kid. Me and a friend would often play Hot-Seat matches against each other. Still the best Heroes game in terms of gameplay. The newer ones look great, but they have lost a lot of that HoMM charm.

Legacy of Kain series - story, story, atmosphere and some more story. Oh, and great voice actors all around. The gameplay was pretty good too, but that story... oh, man.

VtM Bloodlines - finished it at least once with each clan. Aside from Legacy of Kain games, this is the best vampire game out there. Great, wacky story and cool, wacky characters.

There might be a couple more, but that's all I can think of right now anyway.

Sonic the Hedgehog (Mega Drive), Micro Machines (DOS), Earthworm Jim (Mega Drive), Jurassic Park (Mega Drive), Rogue Squadron (PC), The Phantom Menace (PC), Tzar (PC), Grand Theft Auto III (PC), Jedi Academy (PC), NHL 2000 (PC).

Many of them I played because they were the only ones I had during a certain time, or because they were the only ones who didn't have any compatibility problems throughout the many PCs that I had.

-The Old Republic: At this point, it probably ranks as my most played game. Being an MMO, it tends to suck you in and not let you go. And me being a completionist of sorts, I have a hard time leaving things unfinished, which is difficult in a game as massive as TOR.

-Guild Wars: My first MMO and again, it's the kind of game you could play forever. I was quite a bit into PvP back then, and I would put a lot of time into it.

-KotOR 2: I've played this game over and over in the years after it was released. After I grew a bit tired of starting a new game, I still came back because of the mods and testing the restoration project, so it kept me busy for quite a while.

-Pokemon Silver: I would've forgotten about this one if beanlord hadn't mentioned Pokemon in his list. It's been so long, I now feel old. :( Anyway, I was addicted to this game when I was a kid. I'd lose so much time playing it because I always wanted to be superprepared before facing a gym leader. I'd fight all battles with trainers with only one Pokemon and then level up the others by fighting wild Pokemon to the exact level of my most powerful Pokemon.

KOTOR took me forever. Mass Effect also took me a long time because I explored everything (when I look back on it, I hate myself because ME3's ending still sucks - yup). Spent a TON of time on all of the classic Lucasarts adventures. Damn, it took forever to finish Fate of Atlantis when internet guides didn't exist!

Known playtime:

1. Mass Effect 3: 556 hours

I only played the single player once (incl all DLC), which took me around 30-40 hours. The rest is all multiplayer. Needless to say, I love this MP.

2. Skyrim: 421 hours

~99% of it just one playthrough. What kept me playing? First, the gameplay-borne immersion (not much can compare to that sense of wonder when playing Skyrim for the first time), and after that, mods. Mods everywhere.

Unknown playtime:

1. KotOR 1 & 2

These games represented my entire being for a year or two when I was a kid (mostly K1). Ate, breathed, and slept it. Had to rip myself off - cold turkey - because I was so addicted. It felt like drug withdrawal (and most likely, was. [neurotransmitters/dopamine]).

I imagine I spent many hundreds of hours in these games.

2. Jedi Academy

This was the first, and for a long time, the only 'proper' game I owned. Played the singleplayer so many times that I lost count, and eventually grew to be sick of the it. After time has past, fond memories of it remain. I load it up every now and again to nostalgia; no matter how long I leave it, when I play it, all the map layouts and muscle memory comes back, as if I never left it.

Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas: These two games have so much to do, I haven't even finished my Good karma run through of Fallout 3, I've spent soooo much time into it

Mass Effect Series - Ending and misgivings of ME3 aside, this series is arguable one of the best in game story-telling ever, alongside with RPG value.

Kotor 1 and 2 - Mostly 2 due to various playthroughs of the new versions of TSLRCM

The Sims 2, 3 - Come on, simulated life man, friggin awesome

Jedi Academy - This is mostly my sandbox game where I spawn 10000 desanns against my personal God character that I created. Never gets old

Gmod - Virtual reality here I come!!!!

Half Life 1, 2, Black Mesa, and episodes - IMO best gaming franchise ever, hands down. Gameplay is awesome and storytelling equally great. Though Gabe Newell needs to learn how to Count to 3

In raw numbers, almost certainly multiplayer games. I don't actually know most of the figures except TF2.

Team Fortress 2, 400 hours: Because it's a ton of fun, entertaining, has a meta-game with items and stuff and is regularly updated so you always have cool new content coming up.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare: Shooting. Lots of people-shooting. I loved the Search and Destroy missions in particular. Most other gametypes, particularly FFA and TDM were a mess, but S&D is golden, particularly being the sole survivor in your team and stealing all the spotlight by turning things around.

Unreal Tournament 2004: It's Unreal Tournament! It's shooting like crazy in crazy environments! Like CoD4, I played one gametype almost exlclusively, and this being UT2004's quite honestly revolutionary Onslaught mode. A gigantic sandbox with vehicles rolling everywhere, impromptu camaraderie, cheeky sniping, raptor dogfights, and of course, going straight up above the tower of Torlan to grab that Redeemer.

Civilization IV: Because one does not simply play a couple hours of Civ. There's little to explain in this regard, really. You start playing Civ, you spend hundreds of hours making civilizations, fighting opponents, doing cool stuff. It's a shame Civ V is so utterly boring to play - I only ever finished one game of Civ V, and on realising that it didn't even have post-game charts, was never bothered to finish any of my next games.

Age of Empires 2: Gave me a love for history and is the sole contributing factor to my knowing anything about medieval history. I wasn't into any strategy groups or anything, so I didn't know how competitive the RTS field can be, but what I mostly liked was building stuff up. I was prudent enough to build armies, defend and attack, but what I always played for, was starting with a Town Square and a couple of blokes, and the ending the game with a gigantic, cool city.

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy: LIGHTSABRE SLASH FUN TIME. Played through the campaign quite a few times (the modular game design was great), and the multiplayer quite a bit too. In restrospect, JKA may have been the worst multi I played, not because of the design, but because of that horried JKA+ mod that turned every server into a private authoritarian dystopia.

Rome Total War: Why? Because each campaign takes forever to finish' date=' most of the factions are different enough to be fun, and it's the total war game with the most diverse unit roster.[/quote']

Dragon Age Origins - finished it six times, completionist playthroughs.

KotOR 2: I've played this game over and over in the years after it was released. After I grew a bit tired of starting a new game, I still came back because of the mods and testing the restoration project, so it kept me busy for quite a while.

Age of Empires 2: Gave me a love for history and is the sole contributing factor to my knowing anything about medieval history. I wasn't into any strategy groups or anything, so I didn't know how competitive the RTS field can be, but what I mostly liked was building stuff up. I was prudent enough to build armies, defend and attack, but what I always played for, was starting with a Town Square and a couple of blokes, and the ending the game with a gigantic, cool city.

Couldn't have said it better myself. And I would also add Freelancer, Oblivion and Skyrim.

Both KotOR games. - We all know why.

Dragon Age Origins - Well, I actually have this on every platform and have done complete, thorough playthroughs on each, but the real time-killer was the PS3 version, as I pushed to get the Platinum trophy, and I clocked 300+ hours on that, last I checked. So I think in total about 400 hours was spent playing this game.

Terraria - One of those games that once you start it's hard to let go, but then once you've done everything you want, you never really play it again.

70+ hours according to Steam.

League of Legends - The thought of figuring out my playtime on this scares me. Brilliant MOBA.

Burnout: Paradise - I have no idea why, because I was never that much into Racing games, but I was a sucker for this. It was SO fun and I clocked at least 50+ hours on this.

The Mass Effect Games - Before Mass Effect 3, I played this series all the damn time. The first game in particular, NEVER got old for me, and I could just keep replaying playthrough after playthrough. I must have clocked 100s of hours on this series. Mass Effect 3 just sorta lost all reason to keep playing the series.

Skyrim - According to Steam, 347 hours. Needless to say, I love Skyrim. Trying out different combat styles, doing thorough playthroughs.

You guys made me remember some games I had forgotten, either because I'm forgetful or because I hate one of the games in the series.

So...

Pokemon Red: God I feel old.

Heroes 3: See above

Fallout New Vegas: I actually started a second playthrough of this not too long ago, which is a first for an open world game (that I have finished anyway).

ME series: I think I played the first one almost three times, not because it's great but because I A: was exited enough about the game to get it on (my brother's) Xbox, and B: actually believed the "stuff will carry over hype". The sequel twice (sure the story is beyond stupid but, it actually has a cool party member). And the third one... Eh, I finished it. That means it can't be that horrible, right guys? Right???

star wars galaxies...

and now, swtor, glad they did a good job on making it a more immersive star wars experience than swg was. out of games, i can see myself spending the next 10 years of my life spent playing this game.

• 1 month later...

1. THE ELDER SCROLLS: Oblivion, No idea how many hours I spent playing that game. Must have been YEARS worth of game time. Made SO MANY mods for that game... jesus... soooooooo many...

2. MASS EFFECT: ALL OF EM... that game never gets old

3. Dragon Age: ALL OF EM... See mass effect

4. Final Fantasy 7

Skyrim.png

I'm a little obsessed, okay? Though sadly, I haven't had the time to play as much as I'd like. Too much going on this summer.

I also played the hell out of both KotOR games for a while, but I haven't picked either of them up in two years now, just about. I couldn't begin to give you an hours count though.

Skyrim.png

I'm a little obsessed, okay? Though sadly, I haven't had the time to play as much as I'd like. Too much going on this summer.

I also played the hell out of both KotOR games for a while, but I haven't picked either of them up in two years now, just about. I couldn't begin to give you an hours count though.

holy crap, 75 out of 75 and man look-a-those hours. Congrats. You've beaten everyone i've ever seen gameplay statistics for on hours played :L

• 3 weeks later...

Normally I'd list some console games, but I moved a few months ago and left my little bro with the PS3. I do have a Wii however. Also I only get 20GB of Wi-Fi per month so there won't be any MMO's or other online games listed either! Well anyways here are some games that I devote my life to: :p

1. KOTOR and TSL: We're on a KOTOR forum come on of course I play these games a lot! Seriously though KOTOR is my favorite game of all time and I've happily wasted countless hours of it. I've played and beaten it dozens of times and it never gets old. The plot and everything about it is amazing. I just installed TSLRCM and M4-78EP so I'll be playing TSL again soon as well!

2. Pokémon Ruby: I still remember when I got my first Gameboy with Pokémon Yellow back when I was 10. It was the coolest game I ever played and I've been hooked on Pokémon ever since. Even though I grew up with the classics, the 3rd generation games and Pokémon are my favorite. I know Emerald has more content, but I only have Ruby and it's kind of cool how you are on the gangs side (Magma or Aqua depending on the version) unlike in Emerald where you are against both of them.

3. Mario Kart Wii: A great pick up and play game that doesn't require a great deal of concentration and thought, unlike the RPG's I listed above. It's just so relaxing, yet exciting and fun at the same time to race around different tracks in go karts driven by your favorite Mario characters! :thmbup1:

4. Minecraft: The possibilities are endless! That's why I love Minecraft. Even though it can get boring after a while, you can never say that there is nothing left to do because you can always build something new and continue to expand.

5. RollerCoaster Tycoon Deluxe: It's the original game plus both expansions packs. I love building roller coasters almost as much as I love riding them in real life! :D

holy crap, 75 out of 75 and man look-a-those hours. Congrats. You've beaten everyone i've ever seen gameplay statistics for on hours played :L

vv7Ai9G.png

Do I win the contest now?

Though honestly, I probably spent more time on Unreal Tournament 2004. That was like, my go-to game up until about 08-09. If it wasn't first, it would be a close second. Followed by Left 4 Dead 2, and then TSL.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy (Baldur's Gate + Tales of the Sword Coast + Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn + Throne of Bhaal). I can't tell you how many hours I've spent playing this role-playing super-game, but I'm sure that it's over 1000 by now. The world is huge, the combat is hard, the magic is awesome and the story is the best that BioWare has ever come up with. For me, it's the best all-around CRPG I've ever played.

Morrowind would be a distant second.

Morrowind: What can I say, I love whacking Cliffracers! Only finished the main plot twice, and always starting a new build once in a while. Always love the first time when my char meet Cassius. There's something in that bald shiny head of his, I tell you.

Rome Total War:

Why? Because each campaign takes forever to finish' date=' most of the factions are different enough to be fun, and it's the total war game with the most diverse unit roster.[/quote']

This.

Temple of Elemental Evil: Does not have a good story, but combat is the main course. Sooo many possibilities. And hardcore too (My party was like annihilated by frogs :xp: the first time I played).

Winning Eleven 9: The only sports game I played, and the most likely played when I get frustrated by something

• 2 weeks later...

Dragon Age: Origins - I spent about a hundred hours on my first run-through.

Mass Effect - One of the few games which my immediate response to finishing it was to play it again. And I can't help but be a completionist.

Warcraft franchise - Between WoW and War3 I've spent a long time on this series.

Pokémon franchise - Spending 250 hours on a run-through of these things was standard practice for younger me.

Archived