Home

Man of Steel

Alexrd

and the first 30 minutes of back-story-fleshing-out on Krypton

Indeed. That and the flashback scenes are the best parts of the movie. And it made me realize the amount of Kevin Costner on celluloid nowadays is too damn low.

Faora-Ul was the big standout as far as badassness goes.

P.S: And how could I forget Hans Zimmer' score. Humble and epic at the same time.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Watched it last night. By far my favorite version of Superman
I agree with this, but considering how bad the other Superman movie were, that isn't saying much in my opinion.

I thought the movie was great, up until the moment it started focusing on General Zod aspect of the story. If they would have focused more on his youth, dealing with his power and secret, then the movie really would have be epic. All the acting was wonderfully done, but I felt both Diane Lane and Kevin Costner were the only characters that invoked an emotional response, not the other actors fault, mainly the scripts and the subject matter. After all not much of a Superman if he dies before any sequels and they milk the reboot for everything it is worth. All in all, decent popcorn movie, brain is not required.

Not on par with the first iron man or the batman reboot, but not the Hult either.

Saw it last night. It was a decent movie, but that's it. Visually, it was very spectacular, the acting was solid, the story was OK, but nothing special - pretty standard for a superhero movie. And yeah, I expected to hear at least one "Kneel before Zod", but no such luck.

I watched it a couple weekends ago. I didn't like it. I'm not much for movies, personally anyway, but this one had me so flipping confused. Hopping back and forth in time. xD I thought it had potential... and after seeing it, I still think it has potential, but instead of "flash backs" they should have just put the events in order of what happened, imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Man of Steel the other day. Great action scenes, though somewhat lore-defying. This video pretty much sums it up:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Secondly, I felt the movie had somewhat little in the way of character development, except for Clark and Zod. But maybe i'm just saying this coming off Smallville, which is basically a soap opera. I suppose there's only so much screentime budget for such things in an action film.

(Speaking of Smallville, I found Henry Cavill's likeness to Tom Welling's in the tornado flashback scene to be uncanny!)

Thirdly, this movie's plot seemed so grandiose in scale, that i'm not sure what else can be done after this, given the bigger and better principle, and the fact that the sequels are likely to be Zack Snyder films. The next logical conclusion is Lex Luthor, but I seriously wonder what could provide more exciting action scenes than Superman fighting against a team of warrior Kryptonians?

The Zod plot seems to me something that would have been fitting as a 'final trilogy installment', rather than a first dose.

The action scenes were awesome, however. Absolutely glorious.

All in all, an enjoyable film; I quite like it.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

World's Finest! :D

I'm a little unsure about this. The plot of The Dark Knight Returns is a lot to be fitting into one movie, and getting done right. I'm also not sure if the mainstream world is ready for

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
the death of Batman.

Whatever it is, Batman's got to be played by Christian Bale.

Saw Man of Steel the other day. Great action scenes, though somewhat lore-defying. This video pretty much sums it up:

What did you expect him to do in that situation? He had to "deal with him", just like he did in the comics (which makes it somewhat lore-faithful).

I'm a little unsure about this. The plot of The Dark Knight Returns is a lot to be fitting into one movie, and getting done right. I'm also not sure if the mainstream world is ready for
Show spoiler
the death of Batman.

Snyder said they are not adapting The Dark Knight Returns, and the press release says there will be a new Batman. It couldn't be Bale, since Nolan's trilogy was always standalone from the beginning.

Show spoiler
the death of Batman.

I'm more concerned about WB's long-term plan for the DC universe. They're certainly less coherent than Marvel's extremely well-planned series of films. I mean, one film is going to be Superman's origin story and the next one

Show spoiler
they're killing him off?
What's going on in their minds, makes me wonder.

Show spoiler
Says so clear as day in that announcement :xp:

But again, that quote was used as a clue to what character they were referring to, not for the story of the film.

I wasn't at all a fan of Man of Steel. The cast was fine, more than fine even, but I feel that both Snyder's directing and Goyer's script were too bad for good acting to salvage. I'm not exactly thrilled at the prospect of those two building the DC Cinematic Universe.

I think it might've been a decent film, if not for the fact that it was supposed to be superhero film, and specifically a Superman film. It felt more like a generic sci-fi film dressed up in Superman costumes.

I think it might've been a decent film, if not for the fact that it was supposed to be superhero film, and specifically a Superman film. It felt more like a generic sci-fi film dressed up in Superman costumes.

I agree to a point, I wasn't expecting that much cgi and in fact it put me off guard, I can live with that though. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it didn't feel like that's what Superman supposed to look like.

• 3 weeks later...

Ben Affleck will be the new Batman

"Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry's Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne," Snyder said in a statement. "I can't wait to work with him."

I'd rather he be the director than an actor. His acting track-record is uneven, but his directorial one is stellar.

I agree that he's a better director than actor, but his latest acting performances have been good enough to make me not worried. I guess half the internet is still stuck on his Daredevil role while completely ignoring who directed it and how much has Affleck evolved since then...

I agree that he's a better director than actor, but his latest acting performances have been good enough to make me not worried. I guess half the internet is still stuck on his Daredevil role while completely ignoring who directed it and how much has Affleck evolved since then...

I'm not very worried about Affleck's acting so much as I'm concerned with Zac Snyder's continued directing of the DCCU. Affleck directing would be doubly good because not only would the film get a great director but it'd lose a mediocre one.

I'd rather he be the director than an actor. His acting track-record is uneven, but his directorial one is stellar.

This is literally the first thing that came to my mind. I watched Argo; Affleck would make a great Batman director. Batman himself? Ehhh, but he could pull it off.

/wanted javier bardem to be batman

Archived