Home

New Animated Series Star Wars Rebels Coming Fall 2014

Production has begun on Star Wars Rebels, an exciting, all-new animated television series based on one of the greatest entertainment franchises of all time. Scheduled to premiere in fall 2014 as a one-hour special telecast on Disney Channel, it will be followed by a series on Disney XD channels around the world.

Leading the development of the series is a creative team of exceptional talent. Screenwriter/producer Simon Kinberg (X-Men: First Class, Sherlock Holmes, Mr. & Mrs. Smith) is an executive producer on Star Wars Rebels and will write the premiere episode. He is joined by Dave Filoni as executive producer, who served as supervising director of the Emmy nominated Star Wars: The Clone Wars since 2008. Executive producer Greg Weisman brings with him a wealth of animation experience with credits such as Young Justice, The Spectacular Spider-Man and Gargoyles.

Gary Marsh, president and chief creative officer, Disney Channels Worldwide, said, "The entire team at Lucasfilm has provided extraordinary creativity and innovation for over three decades, and we're thrilled to be bringing the expansive and imaginative world of Star Wars to Disney XD's viewers."

"I couldn't be more excited to explore new corners of the Star Wars universe," said Kathleen Kennedy, president, Lucasfilm. "I think Star Wars Rebels will capture the look, feel and fun that both kids and their parents love about Star Wars."

The action-filled series is set between the events of Episode III and IV -- an era spanning almost two decades never-before explored on-screen. Star Wars Rebels takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape. Details about the show are a closely guarded secret at this point.

Star Wars Rebels will be produced by Lucasfilm Animation, featuring many of the key talents that made Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Fans attending Star Wars Celebration Europe will be the first to get an exclusive look at the new series. Casting will be announced at a later date. More information about this developing project will be found on StarWars.com and on Facebook at facebook.com/starwarsrebels.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Source: http://starwars.com/news/new-animated-series-star-wars-rebels-coming-fall-2014.html

Interesting... wonder what this means for the live-action TV series prospects...

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So how does this affect The Force Unleashed storyline?

I believe it won't. We may even see some of those events from someone else's perspective.

wait how could you have a story about the Rebels and not have it include the person that most helped to create the Rebel Alliance. Hell the symbol of the Rebellion is Starkiller's family crest. As far as I am concern they can destroy any semblance of canon from The Force Unleashed. It will just make me more likely to watch this.

I'm curious about what art style they're going for. Are they going for the cartoony/comic-ish style they used in The Clone Wars? A more realistic and gritty style? Somewhere in between? Something else entirely?

I hope it's something more like the style seen in TOR's cinematic trailers.

VentureBeat has an article that postulates on the possible gaming tie-ins for this new series.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/20/star-wars-rebels-is-better-for-gaming-than-the-clone-wars/

I don't get Disney XD and am not sure that I will want to pay more than I already do for my cable TV. It will probably depend on the Star Wars Rebels series premiere which will apparently air as a 1-hour episode on Disney Channel (which I do get) before it makes the move to Disney XD. I have to admit I'm excited to see X-wings and TIE fighters again.

I'm curious about what art style they're going for. Are they going for the cartoony/comic-ish style they used in The Clone Wars? A more realistic and gritty style? Somewhere in between? Something else entirely?

If I had to make a guess I'm gonna say there going to use the same cartoon animation program used in Disney XD's Max Steel.

The thing is though, many Jedi weren't around during the "Rebellion" era... and that's what the kids want and are expecting.

"takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape."

I believe we'll see Jedi.

I know it's a long shot since it'll be airing on Disney Channel and Disney XD

It has nothing to do with the channel it will be airing. That type of animation is simply too expensive to use on a full fledged movie, let alone a TV series. That's why it's only used on trailers and ads due to their short nature.

Besides, I'm not seeing them waste the amount of assets they've created with TCW. The style of the series is already a trademark of Lucasfilm Animation.

"takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape."

I believe we'll see Jedi.

Indeed, but I'm afraid the kiddies are going to expect it to be like the Clone Wars show.

Indeed, but I'm afraid the kiddies are going to expect it to be like the Clone Wars show.
Boy are they going to be surprised when they see Jedi being cut down like the animals they are. (Empire Forever! :carms:)

At least it's not the Clone Wars, for once. I might be one board for this. :)

• 2 months later...

2wf.png

Star Wars Rebels Executive Producer Dave Filoni pulled back the curtain on Lucasfilm's highly anticipated animated series for Star Wars Celebration Europe attendees today, discussing the huge influence of original Star Wars concept artist Ralph McQuarrie on the look and feel of the show, and revealing the series' unique logo and select designs.

Filoni talked at length about the use of McQuarrie art as a springboard for the series, showcasing many works from the original trilogy, including landscapes and characters, and detailing how they inform the visual identity of Star Wars Rebels.

For Star Wars Rebels, fans were given their first look at the Ghost, which will be the main character's ship and play a big part in the series, as well as a computer rendering of a very McQuarrie-esque Stormtrooper, the interior of a Star Destroyer, and more. The show's logo, a minimalist yet powerful design, is notable for its orange and black color scheme, which recalls the flight suit colors of Rebel pilots in the original Star Wars trilogy.

While unable to attend in person, Executive Producers Simon Kinberg and Greg Weisman shared their excitement for the series in a video message recorded specifically for Celebration attendees.

The series is set between the events of Episode III and IV -- an era spanning almost two decades never-before explored on-screen. It takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape.

Star Wars Rebels will be produced by Lucasfilm Animation, featuring many of the key talents that made Star Wars: The Clone Wars. It is scheduled to premiere in fall 2014 as a one-hour special telecast on Disney Channel, and will be followed by a series on Disney XD channels around the world.

rebels-concept1_sm.jpg

rebels-concept2_sm.jpg

Rebels Panel - Liveblog

At least it's not the Clone Wars, for once. I might be one board for this. :)

Agreed. It was never the quality of the Clone War's tv show, it was the fact that there is literally more Clone War's era content available than even the film era's its getting old, boring and overlapping. time for something new. And the McQuarrie influence has sealed the deal for me regardless of future canon gaffs and childish crap.

Looking forward to it!

Super excited for this, just wish Clone Wars could continue as well. I'm hoping they at least finish up the story arcs they had in mind for Clone Wars and put them out somehow, with of course having a dvd/bluray release of it

Totally agree with you on this one. I'm sure the new show will be great, but shouldn't they finish the old project before starting something new?

P.S. I hope they'll make a KOTOR era show eventually... And I know I'm not the only one...

At least they are not focusing on the sequel era, which I was afraid of.

Nope. We'll have the new movie trilogy to tear everything we've ever known and loved about that era to pieces. This new cartoon with do that with the Dark Times era, as the previous cartoon has done with the Clone Wars era.

Archived