It's official!!!!

No more always online requirement

The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours

All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360

Authentication is no longer necessary

An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console

All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline

No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs

I have to say I am genuinely surprised at this. I still think the E3 outcry was a vocal minority in terms of their target market, and I think they could have sold plenty with the former restrictions in place. I wonder if the real reason was that the publishers didn't back them, so they really had nowhere to go with it. It would have been very interesting to watch as a social experiment. Oh well, maybe next next next gen.

I'm geniunly surprised too, but not for the reasons you stated. I can totally understand why Microsoft was so pressured by the crowd that cares about E3.

That is the crowd that buys the most games on their system, that is the crowd that goes for the long term, buys into Xbox Live and supports the company through various methods. That is the crowd that recommends the console and games they enjoy to people they know who aren't as knowledgable as they are with video games. They are a vocal minority, yes, but they're the ones who are willing to give Microsoft a lot of their money who were about to jump ship to Sony. They are the people who were advising their friends and family NOT to buy Xbox One, hell, I even did that with my nephew a day or two after the Microsoft conference.

And no, the masses of casual gamers out there aren't the driving force of the industry, they may be the majority, but they're not the ones who constantly spend their money on video games. Just look at Nintendo with Wii, they had the mass casual audience, sold the most units of their home console, but in the end Wii is a hollow shell with f*** all games because most people bought a Wii and stuck it out with Wii Sports, a packaged game. Sony and Microsoft were the real winners because they were able to gather up the audience, that vocal minority that spoke up about Xbox One's asshattery. They were able to please this audience by giving them exactly what they wanted and they made a tonne of money out of them.

So yeah, I can understand exactly why Microsoft changed their mind and reversed these decisions... the thing that surprises me is the fact that they actually DID. It looked as if they were going to stubbornly hold onto their hardline DRM approach despite what anyone said... but they didn't. And that is bloody amazing.

On one hand I amazed that they seemed to expect something other than the absolute backlash they got with these "features". On the other, though, I do give them credit for actually listening to the feedback. As Lynk said they could have just stubbornly refused to the bitter end.

Wonder what game publishers thing about this...

I don't think Microsoft ever really expected to sell it in the state they unveiled it. I think they wanted to make it as anti-consumer as possible to see what they could get away with, when it became apparent they weren't getting away with it, they were happy enough to tone it down a bit. But now they look like the heroes, because they listened to their consumer base. In actual fact, there's still plenty wrong with the console, but most people are oblivious because of the press surrounding how they made it so much better, so they've really played the game out very well, they'll sell just as well as the PS4 now, and they're getting away with a lot more.

And with that last post, suddenly it turned to schoolyard politics.
And you are surprised why exactly? The entirety of human history is defined by fanboyism of one sort or another, from what sports team/car brand/gaming device is the best, all the way up to politics, religion, etc. People invariably pick a team and stick it to the other lot. Neutrality is a rare commodity.

Who said I was surprised?

Q brings up something interesting though... I wonder what new wacky technical fault these new consoles will bring when launched. Will they run perfectly fine for a few weeks then blow up and burn down your house? Or will everything be fine and these consoles end up lasting forever? XD

They are much lower power than the current gen, being basically laptop/mobile parts. You can see in the Wired article that MS have well and truly learned their lesson with RROD and gone all out with heat management. I suspect the Xbone will be a massive dust trap as a consequence though. No idea yet what Sony is doing until we get a peek under the PS4's hood.

Archived