Home

Grim Fandango Fanmade Reboot 2013

N3mo

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I used Cinema 4D to create all models and Unity 3D to make it work. I created my own Manny model but I replaced it later with the original one ripped from the game, mesh was easier to animate it without any bugs. But I had to use some tools to make it look more smooth, make more complicated. Animations did in 3ds max.

Actually Manny doesn't have bones except hands and wrists and of course head and neck;) Everything is combined together. The skeleton seen in the video is only an animation skeleton from 3ds max that moves a model.

The original Manny from game was too simple, to angular so i.e. moving arms was causing a major mesh distortion after combining all parts together (every part was separated - shoe, leg, hip, arm, forearm etc.). I decided to make it more round, make the mesh more complicated so all moves will be more subtle and natural.

This is my first animation in 3ds max, I choose this program because I like the way how bones behave, interact with each other. You can literally model the skeleton like a puppet or a doll, grab the hand and move it up or down and the other bones will follow.

The problems I had with animation were more connected with the mesh. I had to edit the shape of animation bones to fit exactly to the objects mesh. Beacause when its done wrong some parts of model stay in the same place, albeit the other part moves.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi. I had to change my server for my Grim Fandango Reboot. So here is the link for the Unity WebPlayer based demo:

http://andrys.cba.pl/unity3d/dodhall/gf.html

And here's something new. It's still kinda poor but let's treat this as a basic draft of something thats gonna be bigger and better. Thinking of making the whole floor but I need to check "measures" and proportions. Also I plan to extend the floor space and add some things that werent in the game. I will post some ideas and hope for you to share yours for that matter:)

OFFICE UNITY3d WEBPLAYER http://andrys.cba.pl/unity3d/mannyoffice/WebPlayer.html

OFFICE FLASH http://andrys.cba.pl/unity3d/mannyofficeflash/gr2.html

After this floor will be finished I will try to connect it with the hall by the elevator. Did you also had the impression that architecture of the floor where manny's office is placed do not quite match the main hall? I mean that the elevator is located strangely considering the garage elevator.

Great work Mike! I like the office atmosphere so far. I am still surprised the music glitches while moving in the DOD Hall. Measures and proportions can be a really headache at times, but I believe in your skills, especially what I have seen so far!

Hope to see the cigarette in Manny's hand in the office soon :D

You'e got a fan here, keep up the great work ! =)

Actually I already changed this pattern now. It's a little bit tricky to make proper reflections and other light behaviour that You can see on this visialization and transfer it to Unity. I own a free version of Unity 3D so I don't have lot of useful options and plugins (unfortunately). The real time lighting, some camera/screen behaviour and filters and also mirror reflections that would make this thing more interesting. But still it's only just the beginning and I hope in the future I will have more resources and people to work on my project:)

• 4 weeks later...

Little question:

How do you export/import the models/textures from the original GF?

I thought to do the same thing you're doing (I use Unity for research/studying purposes for some time), but maybe doing the scenario inside of Unity itself (using ProBuilder, a "BSP like" editor used in Source/Unreal)

I got some programs to export the content from .LAB files, but haven't found what can I do with the .3do files D:

(I searched and some people say that 3ds max 8 or before opens this kind of file, but haven't tested yet)

Nvm. I got some models that the "Model Viewer" creator put in his topic and with the "GrimReaper" tool (don't know who have created but I've found in this forum) I was able to extract the textures selecting the mat files and his respective patterns (cmp files).

Anyway, I'm not a "Photoshop god" but I'm recreating HD textures (1024x1024 for most files, 512x512 for Jaw expressions and maybe 256x256 for finger/hand) using the original images as a base, and I'm getting nice results. I have used an old script I've created in Unity (change material textures in runtime) to make the mouth animations and looks really great. Maybe some tweaks for a final use but nothing very difficult.

If someone wants to test the "talking script", I made a Web Player with some basic interface to simulate the effect (of course, isn't perfect):

http://llucassims.pessoal.ws/unity/MannyGF/WebPlayer.html

@Mike Andrews - I really want to make part of this project if you want some help. I've sent you a PM. :)

• 1 month later...

Archived