Home

Want to start a new Singleplayer story mod, need advice!

the_raven

Yeah, yeah, I know that nobody plays JK3 SP anymore, but hey, I'm feeling nostalgic, and since JK4 ain't coming anytime soon, why not?

So, I understand that I have to create a plot, characters (models, textures), maps, shaders, tie 'em all together and stuff, but where do I start exactly?

I already know how to make custom npc's, how to texture (fairly), and even how to play around with models. I can learn to use the level editor, but I have no idea about shaders, triggers and stuff like that, so, any advice? :rolleyes:

Tutorials. You'll want to look up tutorials.

I don't know any off hand because I'm an animator and not a mapper.

I've tryed youtube for tutorials, but most of what I found were maps, models, and texturing >.>

also, what was that about animations?

i would suggest you to go on the jkhub forums there is an ongoing project for mapping and etc.

I'm having a hard time to fully understand what you want, at first you ask for how to make a new SP story mod, np we kinda helped. then you ask about making a map which has a start and an end, we kinda did answer, now you ask for animation tutorials? it's very confussing. you know how to map, right? then my suggestion "map" make a map that goes with your story (if you have any) make the map playable with puzzles to solve if that require animation make notes of where those animations have to be and then once the map is complete come back here post some screenshots of the areas that need those animation and i'm sure that some animator will help you out. multitasking at the same time isn't good at all, trust me on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6R5UNdF9Ig

http://jediknight3.filefront.com/info/Tutorials

http://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/98-getting-started-with-mapping/

These are the three top results from google when I type in 'jedi academy mapping tutorials.'

jkhub.org is more active with modders. So go there. Foreword, the people there will answer specific questions, but if you say something like "I have a project how do I start?" you'll get the same type of answers as what I've given.

As far as animations go I'm the animator that made the sword and shield style as well as the two backhand fighting styles. I've also made movement, force, and gun animations. I'm trying to figure out a new program that will be easier for animations.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes and no.

There is a way to make animations either apply to all characters, or only one specific character.

As far as being a 'lefty': that would be one HUGE undertaking! One saber style alone has ~2000 frames of animations in over 70 different animation sequences.

You'd also have to redo all the movement animations, force animations, and gun animations.

*edit

You'd also need someone to code the weapons into the left hand or figure out some work arounds. I can think of two, but they are not very practical.

• 1 month later...

Archived