Home

KotOR is now on iPad?

Scorge

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's quite possible that iPad graphics won't run shadows or grass. I know for a fact that intel integrated graphics are useless for grass, and I doubt that the iPad has better graphics (although I know very little about iPad internals.)

If the latest iPad can run the likes of

, surely it can render a few blades of grass in dear old KotOR..

Seriously, someone find this out.

I do not think so.

Well the IGN review said that the cutscenes looked pretty terrible so I seriously doubt that they're high-res.

They're not. Same old cut-scenes, unfortunately (though that does give me an idea).

Installed it last night, just got off the Endar Spire. dat nostalgia :data:

Gameplay is nice and familiar, though the touch controls take some getting used to. The old save function seems a bit clunky on a device like the iPad, where multitasking is constant, and most games autosave every five seconds.*hyperbole*

Regardless of modability (even on Jailbroken devices, such as my own), this port ought to be enough to engage hardcore KotOR fans in a perpetual nerdgasm.

That being said, back to iKotOR...

Modders you may be intrested in this everyone else carry on with your life:

I thought I would update you guys from a modding perspective as I have been playing with this and extracting some of the files I will go through by folder:

Data: this folder contains all the .2da files on kotor tool. On the ipad they are saved as .bzf I do not know of any ipad application that can open this file format. Contains everything we would normally find in bifs in KotorTool.

Lips: same thing as on PC. All the files are .mod cannot be opened on ipad.

Modules: same thing as on PC. Can be opened and edited with a hex editor ipad contains a native hex editor. Either use the command counsel or ifile to edit them.

Movies: same as PC ipad cannot natively open .bik files. Good luck with that.

Override: contains all of the menu .tga's also contains all of the .gui files. Ipad can natively open .tga simply use ifile or command counsel

Rims: exact same as PC. Can be opened with iPads native hex editor. Good luck making any sense of it though.

SC.info: I'm not 100% sure on this file. I cannot find a way to open it except SQ_lite3 says its encrypted and if it was decrypted it could be opened.

Stream music, stream sounds, stream waves: all the exact same as PC except ipad can't natively play .wav dap good luck with that one.

Texture packs: can be opened with image viewer except it will crash the file system you are using as at attempts to render every single .tga at the same time.

At the end there is MANY .frag and .vert files they may be useful to someone I don't even know what they are. I cannot find a way to open them.

From my point of view there is nothing special here for modders it is a very fun game and I have got a chance to play it on the Ipad and I would say its well worth it.

IMPORTANT FOR RESKINS: reskins DO work but the iPads native unzipper currupts .tga files while unzipping them. You must download a reskin not in a .Zip or transfer it from your computer to get it to work.

I had to download this the other day. Saw it running on a co-workers ipad and I was sold. Controls are pretty. Turning around can be awkward and the as others have pointed out the graphics are not as good as a highend PC from 2004.

Now if i could just figure out this jail breaking thing, I would love to try and get my old mods installed.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

I thought I would update you guys from a modding perspective as I have been playing with this and extracting some of the files I will go through by folder:

Data: this folder contains all the .2da files on kotor tool. On the ipad they are saved as .bzf I do not know of any ipad application that can open this file format. Contains everything we would normally find in bifs in KotorTool.

Modules: same thing as on PC. Can be opened and edited with a hex editor ipad contains a native hex editor. Either use the command counsel or ifile to edit them.

Override: contains all of the menu .tga's also contains all of the .gui files. Ipad can natively open .tga simply use ifile or command counsel

Rims: exact same as PC. Can be opened with iPads native hex editor. Good luck making any sense of it though.

SC.info: I'm not 100% sure on this file. I cannot find a way to open it except SQ_lite3 says its encrypted and if it was decrypted it could be opened.

Stream music, stream sounds, stream waves: all the exact same as PC except ipad can't natively play .wav dap good luck with that one.

Texture packs: can be opened with image viewer except it will crash the file system you are using as at attempts to render every single .tga at the same time.

At the end there is MANY .frag and .vert files they may be useful to someone I don't even know what they are. I cannot find a way to open them.

From my point of view there is nothing special here for modders it is a very fun game and I have got a chance to play it on the Ipad and I would say its well worth it.

IMPORTANT FOR RESKINS: reskins DO work but the iPads native unzipper currupts .tga files while unzipping them. You must download a reskin not in a .Zip or transfer it from your computer to get it to work.

Shouldn't be a problem for anyone with a jailbroken device. Use iFile for root access, and one of many pertinent Cydia apps to transfer files...

Anybody with a jailbroken/jailbreakable* device and a Windows PC around?

*Unfortunately, Apple closed the vulnerabilities used by jailbreakers in iOS 6.1.3, so iPads running that or a later version of iOS look to be out of luck.**

**Nix that. I'm an idiot. At this point, it shouldn't be long until the iPads are caught up, and 6.1.3 is defeated.

And what might that be?

As much as I hate* to boost my own crap, I've lately been considering remaking all the KotOR planet fly-in cinematics from scratch. An example of my work on space can be found here, with an animation coming as soon as Vimeo processes the video.

I don't want to take the thread off topic, so I'll PM you the rest; but that's the gist of my idea.

*Nah.

Interesting! Have you found a way to get the game to respond to ini changes, or mod shadows back in? The graphics in this port are hardly doing this game justice, especially the water on Mannan

I have not yet found out how to get the game to respond to .ini changes I believe .ini is not read by the ipad though. The setting for shadows are most likey saved within the tmp folder. Although I can't confirm that at the moment.

Thoughts on the new UI?

I like the look of it on the iPad based off that above screenshot. Would be great to have that on the PC.

Actually it could be done. Now that I have your attention allow me to explain:

The HUD (head up display; the icons and ect.. You see in the game) is basically icons and actions on two separate 2D planes. This allows you to move both the icons and the actions. These actions are pre-defined so we couldn't actually change what it does when you click the icon but we could put the right icons in the same places mimicking the GUI of the Ipad version. Now all of this would be hard work and basically a huge guessing game.

Maybe I'll look into it...eventually-Supreme Kotor

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been suggested before, but those files can be opened on a computer, i.e. using "iFunbox"; it pretty much makes the ipad a normal mounted hdd. If the files are really just the same as PC's, then modding should be relatively simple® since you can open, edit and save them exactly as it was with PC KoTOR. Save files seems to be fully transferable. I no longer have the old KoTOR on my PC so I can't really check that ):

Kotor is under //private/var/mobile/Applications/, with my folder starting with 6926D(I'm not sure if this is the same for everyone).

Have a go at it, guys, I'm really looking forward to some good mods for iKoTOR. Especially graphics and swoop/space controls :)

Not sure if this has been suggested before, but those files can be opened on a computer, i.e. using "iFunbox"; it pretty much makes the ipad a normal mounted hdd. If the files are really just the same as PC's, then modding should be relatively simple® since you can open, edit and save them exactly as it was with PC KoTOR. Save files seems to be fully transferable. I no longer have the old KoTOR on my PC so I can't really check that ):

Kotor is under //private/var/mobile/Applications/, with my folder starting with 6926D(I'm not sure if this is the same for everyone).

Have a go at it, guys, I'm really looking forward to some good mods for iKoTOR. Especially graphics and swoop/space controls :)

Nice tip, and welcome to the forums.

I'll be sure to buy KotOR on my iPad soon enough.

Thanks you for the tip. I actually have been using ifunbox and ifile but without the cheat counsoul I have encountered many issues although I have a theoretical work around. Muahahha.

Welcome to the forums-Supreme Kotor

• 4 weeks later...
I have encountered many issues although I have a theoretical work around. Muahahha.

What's your theoretical workaround?

I have been trying to use the Ultimate KOTOR textures by Thunder3 and also the individual texture packs by Xarwarrz all day.

I've been focusing on individual textures and modifying them then rebooting so I can see the result. So far no matter what I do I get blank black shaders.

I've reduced one texture fro 67Mb down to 113Kb and still blank black shaders...

There were problems like this when PC modding back in the day but mostly on ATI chipsets. The thing is, comparing the tga files already in the override folder that aspyr have used for ipad specific UI replacements the files I'm using/replacing are in exactly the same format.

Do you think we simply have a tiny amount of memory bandwidth to use?

If there's anywhere to edit that in the application files I'll keep an eye out but perhaps any texture over 100Kb for example will fail. I'm going to try some really simple ones and let you all know my results, if I can get anything to actually load in it will be progress.

Okay so even though the tga's in the override directory that Aspyr are using appear to be totally normal tga's I had a hunch that they might be re-encoded with PVR-TC (Power VR Texture Compression), the like of which is native to the iPad families GPU's.

I recompressed a texture file to PVRTC as a tga file and placed it in the override folder. Unfortunately still no joy, just a blank black shader instead of anything being loaded in.

I also tried this with a tiny white 128x128px tga file I knocked up in Photoshop. Totally normal 32bit tga file and only 16Kb in size. I still got a blank black shader in the game, as though nothing was being loaded at all... The quest continues.

Just keeping you all up to date so no one tries the same things I am all over again and wastes time.

Right, so I figured, perhaps the iOS version is just failing when we try to load anything from the override folder at all.

So I took a TPC texture from the erf texture pack that's actually in the game. I extracted it to a tga and I put it in the override directory. Nada...

So the game won't even load textures from the override directory which it's otherwise happily loading from the texture pack.

Anyone more experienced at this ever seen that problem before?

I don't own an iPad, but I do own an iPod Touch and know that advanced games with console/PC quality graphics can suck up the battery quickly and I'm sure it's very similar on the iPad. Your best bet is to turn the brightness down. The lower it is the longer your battery will last. I don't think there is an exact name for them, but they have battery packs you can buy that plug into the charging port. If you used one of those your iPad would take power from it and only use your iPad's battery once it ran out. If you had one or two of those charged up and brought them with you on the plane, then you could just keep your brightness normal (which always looks better) and enjoy KOTOR for the entire flight!

I just realized that the "9 hour flight" was just an example, but those battery packs are nice to have anywhere you go. The prices all very depending on which one you buy and where you buy it of course. Here's an example of one I found on the Apple website: http://store.apple.com/us/product/H9496ZM/A/mophie-juice-pack-powerstation-duo-external-battery?fnode=3c

Archived