Home

KotOR is now on iPad?

Scorge

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

are there any good save-game editors that would work just with the I-pad version of the saved games? I used to have this game on PC Eons ago, but no longer do. However, from Ifunbox I can port the saves - but the primary available save game editor (latest version of it I see is 3.3.3) requires an install of the actual game. As in, you can't just edit a saved game file.

I'm new and not a modder at all. Love the game, but would love to be able to tweak my saves a bit.

So here's my experience with the iPad mods & editors.

EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY.

For textures and mods to work, they must all be in LOWERCASE lettering for the iPad to register the mod in /Override directory. So far I have changed robe textures, lightsaber & robe models to 'movie style'. I've even managed to use the 'start as jedi' mods w/o issues.

The KSE 3.33 save editor does work perfectly. But, you must install Kotor on your PC first for it to run properly. You must also install whatever mods you have on your iPad to PC. You can access your /Save directory using iFunbox w/o Jailbreak. Make sure you transfer the actual folder such as "000002 - Game1" for the editor to work properly.

Game plays great (w/ mods) and I'm geeking out from all the nostalgia.

Megwen. Is there any way to install KoTor on your PC without having to re-purchase it? I already bought it on the I-pad, I'd hate to spend extra cash on a PC copy which i won't use, just so I could use the editor to mod a save game.

Sorry but there is not. While I'm here I also feel the need to add that there is no cheat console which hurts many mods. But yes Bos:sr works perfect!

So here's my experience with the iPad mods & editors.

EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY.

For textures and mods to work, they must all be in LOWERCASE lettering for the iPad to register the mod in /Override directory. So far I have changed robe textures, lightsaber & robe models to 'movie style'. I've even managed to use the 'start as jedi' mods w/o issues.

The KSE 3.33 save editor does work perfectly. But, you must install Kotor on your PC first for it to run properly. You must also install whatever mods you have on your iPad to PC. You can access your /Save directory using iFunbox w/o Jailbreak. Make sure you transfer the actual folder such as "000002 - Game1" for the editor to work properly.

Game plays great (w/ mods) and I'm geeking out from all the nostalgia.

So miraculously I found my old KoToR disk. Running into an issue with the editor. I make my changes, save and copy the data back onto the I-pad via IFunBox. However, it doesn't seem to recognize any of the changes at all. I've tried re-openning the modded file in the editor - it recognizes all the changes I made previously. The game, however, does not. Any thoughts?

are there any good save-game editors that would work just with the I-pad version of the saved games? I used to have this game on PC Eons ago, but no longer do. However, from Ifunbox I can port the saves - but the primary available save game editor (latest version of it I see is 3.3.3) requires an install of the actual game. As in, you can't just edit a saved game file.

I'm new and not a modder at all. Love the game, but would love to be able to tweak my saves a bit.

Megwen. Is there any way to install KoTor on your PC without having to re-purchase it? I already bought it on the I-pad, I'd hate to spend extra cash on a PC copy which i won't use, just so I could use the editor to mod a save game.

Sorry but there is not. While I'm here I also feel the need to add that there is no cheat console which hurts many mods. But yes Bos:sr works perfect!

As far as I know, you should be able to simulate a KotOR install by manually creating the relevant Windows registry keys. I remember having problems with KSE and Kotor Tool detecting my installs of KotOR and TSL properly, and having to recreate the proper path registry keys, which fixed the problems.

Interestingly, while both games are installed in my computer atm, the registry keys seem to be absent. I'll try reinstall/fiddle around with it to find the correct registry values for you guys to try. :)

• 2 months later...

Many of the mods come in TSL Patcher compatible forms, does anyone have any success/tips on using TSL patcher to install mods onto the iPad?

-edit-

What I have tried:

1. Copy the whole kotor folder from iPad to Desktop(using iFunbox)

2. Running TSL patchers, choosing "Kotor.app" folder as my "root" kotor folder

3. most of them patch with no issues reported

4. Check override folder for non-capital files

5. Copy and replace entire Kotor.app folder onto iPad

6. None of the mods show up/work D:

mewgen did you use the TSL patchers, or is there some other way to install the mods(which have sole instructions to use their TSL patcher)?

-edit-

Oh dear I got it working. I manually copy-pasted the content from WITHIN the override folders again. Apparently the "folder+subfolder"-wide copy and paste doesn't work so well on iFunbox.

Have fun guys :)

How do you get the mod files off of your pc to the override to the ipad using ifunbox I keep trying to put them in the override but they don't show up

• 2 weeks later...
Many of the mods come in TSL Patcher compatible forms, does anyone have any success/tips on using TSL patcher to install mods onto the iPad?

-edit-

What I have tried:

1. Copy the whole kotor folder from iPad to Desktop(using iFunbox)

2. Running TSL patchers, choosing "Kotor.app" folder as my "root" kotor folder

3. most of them patch with no issues reported

4. Check override folder for non-capital files

5. Copy and replace entire Kotor.app folder onto iPad

6. None of the mods show up/work D:

mewgen did you use the TSL patchers, or is there some other way to install the mods(which have sole instructions to use their TSL patcher)?

-edit-

Oh dear I got it working. I manually copy-pasted the content from WITHIN the override folders again. Apparently the "folder+subfolder"-wide copy and paste doesn't work so well on iFunbox.

Have fun guys :)

Sorry to keep bugging - having a bit of trouble here as well - more because for some reason I can't seem to copy into or alter the over-ride folder at all. Anytime I try to copy files into the override folder, the folder just refreshes to look exactly the same as pre-copy (the original override folder has 151 files, but whenever I try to add any of the mods, the folder simply refreshes and remains at 151 files.

Sorry to be a newbie on this front, but this seems to be the only thread dealing with any ipad issues so its learn as I go for me. Thanks for the help. My I-pad isn't jailbroken so maybe thats the cause. However, I doubt it given I've copied to and from it many times - though maybe the override folder is part of a write-protected section, not sure.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if its always been available, or its new news, but I just got a Facebook ad saying its now on iphone too, downloading now! (I Don't have an ipad so felt left out lol :() perfect timing aswell, as I've just recently switched to a new windows 8 PC, and this is the first time in a decade I don't have KotOR installed on my PC (Not even sure if windows 8 will run the original PC version?)

It's really amazing that KotOR is being pushed and advertised over 10 years on ! Best game ever.

It's actually pretty damned good, I thought the controls would suck, but its smooth. would probably better suit a Galaxy s4 or note, as the iPhone seems happy with their 2008 screen sizes, but its not unreadable. never thought I'd be playing KotOR in the Canteen on my lunch break lol :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've logged on so I'll try to update those with questions.

Since Dec 18, Aspyr/LA released v1.1.0 which is now iPhone compatible. I have notice that this version does not permit modification to the /override folder. Reason for this is the file has locked Permissions to "read only" 0755 and needs to be changed to 0777. In order to change, IOS device needs to be jailbroken. There are two apps you may use to change permissions, iFile or Winscp. I use the latter, Winscp, because it's old and always dependable for me.

In order to use Winscp, you must have a jailbroken i-device, Cydia app, and must install OpenSSH through Cydia. Once OpenSSH is installed, you can google how to connect to your i-device. All you would need is the IP address of your device, username: root, password: alpine. You will received a warning, just click "Yes." Once connected, you will need to dig through your device to find the Kotor folder. Mine is //var/mobile/applications

Just right-click on the /override folder and change Permissions from 0755 to 0777. Then drag and drop any mods you have.

*make sure all your mod files are LOWERCASE*

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them when I can but you should be able to Google all your answers. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just come across this page and found that there is a bit of confusion about a few things so I just wanted to share a few thoughts/experiences with iOS users interested in modding this game..

Firstly: Use iFunbox or a similar program to make the transfers easier - forget SSH and other awkward methods - It doesn't have to be that hard!

The Override Folder

What happens, it seems, is that the override folder is a mixed bag - TGA and Model files seem to affect the game in progress (you can change the files and then reload and you will notice the differences - although I usually get a crash or just black textures so far)..

BUT mods like Jedi companions (which are edited UTC files I think) DO WORK but only when you start a new game = when you start a new game a bunch of files are compiled from the override/game folders and put into your documents folder (currentgame/gameinprogress)..

When you change the overrides after the start of the game the changes will not happen in the current saves because things like the character stats (utc files I think) have already been copied into the USEABLE part of the game folder structure (IE NOT THE KOTOR.APP which is supposed to be read only) - the Documents folder is where all the current-game info is stored because it's a read-write folder.

When you jailbreak the device it means you can access and modify the actual game-folder so putting new files in the override folder requires a jailbreak. HOWEVER - if you have these save files already, then you can install them directly into a non-jailbroken device and play with your modded save-game (for example I did this and still had an all-jedi party and even still had my special Revan robes! which surprised me actually)..

So it seems that the main point I'm trying to make is that mods seem to affect the game only at the start of a new game - whereas texture-mods (which I haven't gotten to work yet) aren't stored in the actual save folder..

I'm not sure if permissions affect anything - they weren't needed for me.. The override folder is read-only on a JAILED phone and read-write on a Jailbroken one. I could be wrong but I never had to touch any permissions to get the mods working. The main thing was to start a new game so that the documents folder is populated with the new overrides.

Oh also worth sharing perhaps is that the only save editor that seems to work for me is version 1.3.3 *i mean that the newer ones don't work for me..

I create a folder called Kotor and then copy the documents folder from Kotor iOS into there (currentgame, etc). Not sure if you need all the folders or just the save, but since I edit the companion stats too I assume it needs all (probably not but better to be sure)..

Then after editing I just copy the save back (quicksave) and it works fine..

Also worth noting - relating to upgraded versions:

What I do is make a zip backup of the original override folder (per version - 1.1.1 as of writing).. That way whenever I'm playing with overrides I can always set it back to clean (if there is nothing in the override the game will not work since it needs the IOS specific overrides).. So I can set it back to "Clean" and then add the additional files.. Might seem obvious to some, but might also help someone to avoid reinstalling the whole game like I had to! (not that it takes very long hehe).

Archived