Home

The PS4 - The Console Wars Are Over

Boba Rhett

OH. MY. GOD. Anyone else just watch the Sony conference? They easily win this generation.

-Used games.

-No DRM.

-100 dollars less than Xbox. $399.

-Screw you, Microsoft.

-Flawless victory.

You should be so very ashamed of yourselves, Microsoft. You betrayed your fans. I loved you once.

What could Microsoft possibly do to counter this? Me thinks there's a lot of soiled pants at MS HQ right now.

Also,

Discuss.

Seeing as Sony just alluded to 3rd party titles having DRM at the discretion of publishers, don't be surprised if PS4 essentially ends up identical to the Xbone in terms of things like used games/ownership. Might want to hold your horses on declaring a winner when the war hasn't even started yet.

But 3rd party titles already essentially have DRM at the discretion of publishers.

For arguments sake, lets set aside the used game issue. Even without that plus, how is Sony not outshining Microsoft in every category of interest to the average gamer?

Seeing as Sony just alluded to 3rd party titles having DRM at the discretion of publishers, don't be surprised if PS4 essentially ends up identical to the Xbone in terms of things like used games/ownership. Might want to hold your horses on declaring a winner when the war hasn't even started yet.

They said no online authentication on retail discs. That's as good as it can get (if I were a potential buyer).

For arguments sake, lets set aside the used game issue. Even without that plus, how is Sony not outshining Microsoft in every category of interest to the average gamer?
Given that used games/sharing seemed to be the number one thing pre-E3 that people were getting their panties in a twist over, it seems odd to suddenly disregard it. But fine, for the sake of argument, let's leave aside all redistribution of games (be it resale/secondhand, lending/sharing, as they are all effectively tied together). What then, in your opinion, are the other pressing categories of interest to gamers where the PS4 comes out ahead?

...Aside from the games Sony actually showing off not being ho-hum, QTE fests, or rehashes, no online requirement, no disc based DRM, the actual support of indie games, and the $100 cheaper price tag I guess I can't think of a single thing.

I was never disregarding the used games issue. Merely setting it aside for a moment to point out that there are a lot of reasons Microsoft is losing. Now, please, take a moment to explain to us why Sony isn't winning. emot-allears.gif

Nobody is "winning". The consoles aren't on sale for months yet. Sony has got some PR one-upmanship over MS in the last couple of days, sure, but what does that actually equate to in the end? We won't know until launch day and the following weeks/months/years. My guess is that it won't amount to squat. Both systems will likely sell out at Xmas. Whether one system ends up dominating in the long term, I have no idea. I suspect though that it will remain a fairly close race, much like the current gen.

...in your opinion, are the other pressing categories of interest to gamers where the PS4 comes out ahead?

XBox One has the Kinect always on, has to approve all the games you play, and requires you to check in with Microsoft every time you want to play.

It's like Big Brother and my mother all rolled into one. :xp:

@ DP: I saw the interview with Tretton. I've decided that no matter the game, if a publisher decides to pull any of that asshattery, I'm boycotting them. Don't even care if it's something like Dead Space. I'm not tolerating it at all.

Sony has won me over with their stance, now it's up to each individual publisher to show me that they're not going to screw me over. With Microsoft, everything thing about their system is designed to screw me over, with Sony, my chances are a lot better.

Also, of course the launch line-up of a system is going to be terrible. THEY ALWAYS ARE. However, I'm not thinking about the stuff that will happen in only the first couple of months of the system, I'm thinking long term. There is some stuff that has my attention at launch, but overall... Sony is the way to go.

And yes, PC, this, PC that. I already have a gaming PC.

I was going to get a PS3 soon, and then this happened. :p I'll probably just stick with the WiiU though; alot of the games I want that end up on the Playstation tend to also end up on the PC. I remember saying a few days ago that the WiiU was looking pretty good by comparison up until now. ;) Looks to me like Sony and Nintendo are going to leave Microsoft in the dust.

Microsoft has become bigger idiots than they realize and the sad part is they're going to have to wait until the release of both consoles and see the numbers to finally realize the mistakes they're making because I don't think they realize them yet and won't pay attention to what potential customers are saying at this moment. Their arrogance is sad.

From what I have seen so far it is enough to make me convert to PS. I've only owned XBox's and I had no interest in the Xone even before the PS info.

Lynk, this could mean I may actually get a retail Macross game at some point!

Oops. Uhh. Aren't they supposed to be shipping the Xbox One and these games out in five months? And they're still running the demos on desktop PCs running with a different operating system and even an entirely different graphics processor than what's in the Xbox One? The hell?

_1371234074.jpg

_1371234169.jpg

_1371234242.jpg

No, they weren't. They were running on PS4 dev kits composed of the actual PS4 hardware.

Developer of upcoming PS4/PC/iOS title The Witness Jonathan Blow tweeted:

It is not true as the article says that “all E3 demos run on hi-end PCs”. The Witness was running on PS4 dev hardware, and it looked to me like all the other PS4 games were running on dev kits as well.

Dev hardware is the hardware that will be in the final retail box, but in a less consumer-oriented package.

Dev kits almost always have more RAM yeah. Better CPU+GPU, no…

All the indies I know were running on the PS4.

We worked very hard to get our game running on the actual PS4 hardware and operating system in time for the show. As did many other devs.

and

1371262666661.png

If you have any other facts that you'd like to pull out of your glorious PC gaming master race ass and post here, please, feel free to do so.

Archived