Home

The PS4 - The Console Wars Are Over

Boba Rhett

The worrying part about it is that the boxes Microsoft was using are apparently very dissimilar to the actual hardware present in the Xbox One. I'm not saying that anything's not developed on a PC, merely that it's worrying that they don't have it running on anything resembling what they want to sell us. Sony's had their demos running on PS4 hardware dev kits since Feb.

It's not worrying at all. Both the Xbone and PS4 are basically just laptops in plastic boxes. You could use any x86 hardware, as long as it has the appropriate OS. Which in the Xbone case is pretty much just a cutdown Windows kernel with DirectX. You have to code to the hardware, not necessarily on the hardware. You have to test on the final hardware, sure. But that's a different issue altogether. If the rumours from a few months back are to be believed, the PS4 devkit isn't much like the PS4 hardware either, aside from being AMD kit. It was reported as off-the-shelf components - Bulldozer CPU, 7000/R10XX series GPU, 8GB RAM, etc.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the problem here, all early devkits are all like this. The first devkits Nintendo sent out to developers for the Nintendo DS was a GBA SP rubber banded to a standard GBA with a link cable between them rigged with a data output port and a SNES controller.

Modern console devkits that console manufacturers sendout early are, as I said, just off the shelf components with tools for debugging, etc.

@DP:

Both the PS4 and the XBone use virtually the same APU, featuring 8 Jaguar cores on the CPU side. Jaguar is AMD's replacement for Bobcat, which competes with Intel's Atom.

The difference is that the PS4's GPU will have 18 compute units vs. the XBone's 12, so there's another win for the PS4.

OK, I misunderstood you, then.

The important point is that, while the CPU side has 8 cores and they're supposed to be a considerable improvement over Bobcat, they're still going to be quite a bit weaker than normal desktop/laptop CPU cores because they are designed to run at ultra-low voltages.

The upside is that people probably won't have to worry about them overheating like the older XBox 360s did.

Has Microsoft released some solid statement on how the 10 family member sharing works? Because if it works like it sounds like it does, it could be a saving grace for the Xbox One. It sounds like if I wanted to play Co-op or MP with someone in my "family" only one of us would actually have to own the game. That would be pretty sweet but I don't see how publishers would go for this.

Oops. Uhh. Aren't they supposed to be shipping the Xbox One and these games out in five months? And they're still running the demos on desktop PCs running with a different operating system and even an entirely different graphics processor than what's in the Xbox One? The hell?
AHA! ALL THE GAMES CAN RUN ON PCS! NO EXCUSES NOW M$! I EXPECT EVERYTHING ON STEAM NOW!

AHA! ALL THE GAMES CAN RUN ON PCS! NO EXCUSES NOW M$! I EXPECT EVERYTHING ON STEAM NOW!

If this logic occurred, we'd have been graced with Fable II I think ;D

I'm not really happy with being a console player anymore. I don't like how the market is run and I'm sorry but I've seen next gen game pre-orders at £55 a go, and if that is going to be standard price for a game then man. 40 was too high in my opinion. I could spend 55 on one game that could be mediocre and will at best provide with 30 hours of entertainment (to use the term broadly. I find that after spending that much, the entertainment value is significantly undermined), or I could spend the same and actually get a fair amount of games on Steam, with the various sales and just in general cheaper games.

No thanks, Sony or MS.

• 2 months later...

No doubt the fanboys will come up with plenty of excuses, but I figured this was only fair turnabout after the fuss over Xbone titles at E3. A demo booth at Gamescom showing the PS4 version of Need for Speed:

https://twitter.com/corentin_lamy/status/370581323775090688/photo/1

And the NeoGaf mirror in the event it disappears: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658829

Meh.

PS4 looked like a better deal from the onset.

MS eff'd themselves. They're running their stuff on essentially a souped up version of my mum's 2004 HP desktop. Win 8 is poorly received. Their sales are plummeting. They've set themselves back a few knocks. I'll just keep my 360s around since there's still a bunch coming out for them yet.

The ONLY console I'm on the fence about buying is a 3DS cuz Project X Zone. Essentially it's CapcomXSegaXNamco. Otherwise, I'm just going to continue brooding until I can finish my new computer.

Not likely going to buy a new console either way.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived