Home

The Outlander Club Console War Poll

Sabretooth

What is the first, no. 1 console that you want to buy?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What is the first, no. 1 console that you want to buy?

• Microsoft Xbox One
    • Sony PlayStation 4
    • Nintendo Wii U
    • Ouya
    • PC Gaming Master Race bows to none!
    • Forget it, I'm quitting video games.
    • I believe in Dreamcast 2.

Finally, it's E3. We have all the data. We have all the boxes. We have all the exclusives and wavings of phallic objects and jeering and cheering. We know what the consoles are and what they look like. What the smell like. One of them smells like victory. Tell us which.

Vote for the one console that you are most likely to buy. If you plan on buying multiple, vote for the one you value more (or are more excited for). Don't hold back, people! We want nothing but blood and guts in this thread! BLOOD AND GUUUUUTS!

while I am PC master race, I tend to own a console either way. And all I can say is wow, because Sony have beaten, nay, destroyed Microsoft in the next console war before it has even begun. Any game on Xbox One I want is either coming to 360, PC or going to PS4 anyway. I have no reason to pick Xbox One over PS4, and I will gladly give Sony my money, and at this point I'd give them the remaining £90 price difference for the very privilege of BUYING the PS4 over the Xbox One.

*sigh* I honestly don't know what to do. I always have had an xbox simply for Halo, but... Xbox One killed it for me. For now, I'm sticking with my Xbox 360, but I'm either gonna get a PS4, or upgrade the living crap out of my computer.... seriously, It's like someone took a good Laptop and stuffed it into a compact Desktop case....

BUT I do agree that Sony beat the crap outta Microsoft on Monday.

Go for it... for me, I'm hesitant to buy any more stuff on my 360 since I no longer want to support Microsoft with anything they do on Xbox.

This is pretty much my mindset. I'm a very 'I must be thorough' kind of gamer which makes me want to buy any of my xbox games for my ps3 so that I can catch up with them, in preparation for the ps4, but I am not touching another 360 title (other than Fable: Anniversary)

• 1 month later...

PC gaming for the win! So, no consoles for me, thanks. Most worthwhile games will end up on the PC anyway, as for those that don't, well though luck for them, because I'm not willing to spend money on a console for just those few games (or worse, just that one game).

Also, as DP said, emulators, which have nothing to do with piracy (which is, btw, a bigger problem on the consoles, as most console versions appear on torrent sites days before their official release).

Emulators have nothing to do with piracy? Well, yeah, if you want to go into the legal gray area bit about the emulators THEMSELVES. You can download all of the emulators you want and it's all legal... the emulators ONLY. As soon as you download the games you never owned or paid for... BZZZT piracy. Let's not pretend it's not.

As for piracy as a problem, it's about evenly spread everywhere, it's not a "it's more on consoles" thing... if people want it, it'll be pirated, consoles, PC, whatever. It's dead simple to find a pirated version of any game, it's not like there's a secret society preventing PC games from being pirated just so PC gamers can continue to feel some kind of false sense of superiority XD ...that would be pretty cool though, some kind of PC gamer illuminaty deal.

I also laugh a little at the thought of missing out on games because it's not worth the price.Jeez, if I had that mind set, I wouldn't have bought a second hand PS2 for 50AUD and a tonne of really cheap PS2 games which were all exclusive must play titles (most of them NEW). I would have missed out on so much which I had gotten so easily. Of course, I guess if you didn't care, you cuold pirate all of that stuff and then try to justify it and say it's not actually piracy because those companies wouldn't have made money off of you anyway...

Back to the topic though... I'm still leaning toward PS4 as my multiplatform console of choice... I still don't like the idea of the XBO watching me constantly with Kinect.

Emulators have nothing to do with piracy? Well, yeah, if you want to go into the legal gray area bit about the emulators THEMSELVES. You can download all of the emulators you want and it's all legal... the emulators ONLY. As soon as you download the games you never owned or paid for... BZZZT piracy. Let's not pretend it's not.

Err, what makes you think you have to download a game ilegally in order to play it with an emulator!?

if people want it, it'll be pirated, consoles, PC, whatever.

True. Never said otherwise. I was simply commenting on the often used "piracy" excuse against PC gaming.

I also laugh a little at the thought of missing out on games because it's not worth the price.Jeez, if I had that mind set, I wouldn't have bought a second hand PS2 for 50AUD and a tonne of really cheap PS2 games which were all exclusive must play titles (most of them NEW). I would have missed out on so much which I had gotten so easily. Of course, I guess if you didn't care, you cuold pirate all of that stuff and then try to justify it and say it's not actually piracy because those companies wouldn't have made money off of you anyway...

Well, first off a "must play" is a rather subjective qualification - what you consider a must play, might not be considered as such by others and vice versa.

Secondly, different people, different parts of the world, different living, financial (and other) conditions and mindsets - meaning not all of us have enough to spend on games on a regular basis, or are willing to spend much of what we do have on games on a regular basis. And I laugh a little at the mindset of "I just can't miss out on that game!" and especially at the "I have to have it now and will even spend money on a specific platform just so I can play that game." If I thought like that, I would have wasted around 400 euros on an xBox 360 and another 60+ on Mortal Kombat (and DLCs) just so I could play it on release day. Thankfully, I never did that and I can still play the complete game on my platform of choice and for less money at that.

Err, what makes you think you have to download a game ilegally in order to play it with an emulator!?

Is there a way for me to play console games using the original discs/carts that I bought? Tell me how, I've only assumed you could only get illegally obtained ROMs and ISOs to work with emulators, but if there's a way for me to insert my legit copy of The Last of Us into my PC BD drive and play it, I'm all for that... so where do I go, how do I make this happen? Doesn't have to be PS3, you seem to know about this more than I do, I'd like to know what you know so that I can have a backup plan in case my one or more of my consoles die.

True. Never said otherwise. I was simply commenting on the often used "piracy" excuse against PC gaming.

You mean the people who bitch about developers making more games on consoles than on PC? You know, this is reminds me of Nintendo gamers complaining about third party developers not making games for Nintendo systems and instead making them for competing companies. The reason for both of these things is pretty simple... developers make games for platforms that have the majority of the audience that would like to buy their games to begin with. If a developer doesn't want to make a game for a Nintendo system or for PC, it's because they feel that there isn't an audience for them on that platform to justify that game being made.

However, this should be absolutely no problem for PC with the PS4/XBO since their architecture is the closest to PCs as it's ever been. Games that aren't bought or natural exclusives are going to be easily available on PS4, XBO and PC with very little fuss.

Well, first off a "must play" is a rather subjective qualification - what you consider a must play, might not be considered as such by others and vice versa.

Secondly, different people, different parts of the world, different living, financial (and other) conditions and mindsets - meaning not all of us have enough to spend on games on a regular basis, or are willing to spend much of what we do have on games on a regular basis. And I laugh a little at the mindset of "I just can't miss out on that game!" and especially at the "I have to have it now and will even spend money on a specific platform just so I can play that game." If I thought like that, I would have wasted around 400 euros on an xBox 360 and another 60+ on Mortal Kombat (and DLCs) just so I could play it on release day. Thankfully, I never did that and I can still play the complete game on my platform of choice and for less money at that.

That's the other extreme... but I already mentioned that you can wait for prices to drop to a reasonable amount and then buy those "must have" games... I mean, you make it sound like consoles and their games stay at full launch price forever and that's the ONLY option any one has.

PC gaming is hands down the best in my opinion, but it's only as good as the amount of money you put into your system, unlike with consoles where everyone has the same frame rate and graphics. Although if I had to choose between the PS4 and the Xbox One I'd choose the PS4. I don't feel like blabbering on about why, but for me there's not a single reason why I'd want an Xbox, yet there's plenty for the Playstation. The only exception is the Halo franchise. :p

Is there a way for me to play console games using the original discs/carts that I bought? Tell me how, I've only assumed you could only get illegally obtained ROMs and ISOs to work with emulators, but if there's a way for me to insert my legit copy of The Last of Us into my PC BD drive and play it, I'm all for that... so where do I go, how do I make this happen? Doesn't have to be PS3, you seem to know about this more than I do, I'd like to know what you know so that I can have a backup plan in case my one or more of my consoles die.

Admittedly, I haven't fiddled around with any PS3 or xBox emulators, so to avoid talking out of my ass I'll limit this to the PS1 and PS2 emulators which do allow you to boot the game from your disc. They both, however, do require a console BIOS in order to run the games, which can be a bit of a gray area to obtain, I'll give you that. The games themselves, however, do not need to be obtained in any illegal looking fashion.

However, this should be absolutely no problem for PC with the PS4/XBO since their architecture is the closest to PCs as it's ever been. Games that aren't bought or natural exclusives are going to be easily available on PS4, XBO and PC with very little fuss.

I hope so.

That's the other extreme... but I already mentioned that you can wait for prices to drop to a reasonable amount and then buy those "must have" games... I mean, you make it sound like consoles and their games stay at full launch price forever and that's the ONLY option any one has.

I agree that waiting for a price drop is the way to go. But, even though the prices don't stay high forever, they do tend to stay at "full launch" level quite long, at least where I live. So again, depending on your part of the world, different prices and discount opportunities will or will not be available to you.

On the subject of emulators, yes, some can play legitimate media. Optical-based media anyway. A bit difficult for cart-based consoles like the NES/SNES/Master System/Genesis (Megadrive) obviously.

But assuming you are playing legit copies of, say, Saturn or PS1 discs on an emulator, the issue of legality arises in the BIOS dumps that most emus require. Dolphin is interesting in that regard, as it doesn't seem to require any BIOS rom/s.

@ igyman: Australia is absolutely TERRIBLE with video game prices. A full price PS3/360 game here is 100-110AUD (70-77 Euro) and they tend to stay that way for a long time. Believe me, I know EXACTLY what you mean... but I still stand by what I said. Wait and the prices will drop, sales will happen, etc... you may have to wait for a long time, but at least it WILL happen eventually. There's a lot of games I haven't bought because, while they're great games, I don't think they're worth the full price, so I've waited... waited for years in some cases to buy them.

Archived