Home

I'm going to Flugtag!

Well, on the real life front, I'm going to be going to Red Bull Flugtag, as a competitor!

What exactly is Flugtag? Well, it's easier just to watch:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

What am I doing? Well, my team is going to be doing something like this:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Here's us on the Red Bull website. Our team is supposed to be called Notorious Nate & The Texas Tomcats, but that somehow got shortened to Notorious Nate. We're working on getting it to just Texas Tomcats.

Enjoy, be safe, have a beer if age appropriate, wear a cup. These things are important.

:D

Actually, alcohol and any substance usage are strictly forbidden for competitors until the event is completely over. Guess they don't want anybody to drink and drown.

• 3 months later...

My team took first at the Dallas/Fort Worth Flugtag. Here's the video of the winning flight:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid2083845492001?bckey=AQ~~%2CAAAB5RhAt2k~%2CniQojJTThX5rxlidOXNrl1KByT_X4gKA&bctid=2684333654001

It was a blast, but sucked up a ton of my time. That's part of the reason I haven't been around much lately. I didn't fly it, the girl that did was 30 pounds lighter than any of the rest of us.

My team took first at the Dallas/Fort Worth Flugtag. Here's the video of the winning flight:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid2083845492001?bckey=AQ~~%2CAAAB5RhAt2k~%2CniQojJTThX5rxlidOXNrl1KByT_X4gKA&bctid=2684333654001

It was a blast, but sucked up a ton of my time. That's part of the reason I haven't been around much lately. I didn't fly it, the girl that did was 30 pounds lighter than any of the rest of us.

Nice. I went to see this in Chicago this year and there were none that flew that well. It was actually pretty boring because of how bad all of them were, most just immediately fell into the water. I think I had unrealistic expectations.

I think lots of alcohol helped most of the spectators to enjoy it more. And we really only had 3 or 4 that got any kind of distance.

Wow, just watched the winning one for your city. That was bad even for Flugtag. I think most cities had at least two or three that went twice as far as that.

Yes, they limit you to a 28' wingspan, 20' length, and 10' height (including the detachable cart). Weight limit is 400 pounds, and we were at around 382 pounds with a 110 pound pilot. The span limit isn't ideal for a glider, but it's workable.

Most folks seem to neglect their Center of Gravity, and it ends up too far aft or forward, which can cause an otherwise flyable (in a very, very loose sense of the word) craft to nose dive or tail slide. We made sure that our CG was in the optimum range, though it appears that just a bit more aft would have gotten us a little more distance.

Most just fall, but Red Bull prefers them to fly because that's why people come to watch, and that's what gets them excited.

Archived