Home

A bit confusing item naming and description in kotortool.

Batu Sadren

Hello there.

I hope this forum is still alive now. Im currently replaying KotOR 1, alredy got it working flawlesly on windows 7 and now id like to make some changes in the game to match my taste. Right now im trying to replace Star Forge Robes with a version giving bonuses to combat skills not will. Everything is clear to me except of one thing. I didnt even touched the item name and description just changed its properties and put the file into Override folder. Now when i spawn it in game to test if it works the item has no name and no description. I played with it a little and found out that when i copy description into both windows and uncheck identified option the description shows in the game but still cant make the item name visible. Everything else like item texture requirements and stats look as it should. Any advice from u guys? How to make item name visible?

Sounds like a very weird bug you're getting... maybe you could upload your copy of the UTI and I could take a look?

(By the way, I believe this is the wrong forum for this type of thing. This sounds more like a modding issue than a problem with KotOR tool, so instead of posting here you'd want to post in Holowan Laboratories. Plus, more poeple go to Holowan so you're bound to receive more replies to your problem. Could a mod move this, please?)

• 2 weeks later...

First off, sorry for the late reply.

Anyway, judging by the item you uploaded, I'll assume you're using the Polish version of the game. Now, having never edited any other version other than the US one, I can't guarantee what I'm about to suggest will work, but it should.

So you edited the item in KotOR Tool, however, KotOR Tool, at least to my knowledge, automatically makes the item be saved with an English identifier on it. Which is all well and good, except when you try and put the item into any game that isn't the English version. When you put an item into a non-English version of the game with the description/name marked as English, the description/name won't show up. In order to correct this issue, you're going to need to download a GFF editor (I recommend tk102's K-GFF) and fix this problem more "manually."

Once you've gotten your preferred GFF editor setup, you should use it to open your item file. Now, if you're using K-GFF, it should look something like this:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
ib9qo8.jpg

Now, as you can see, the identified and non-identified description (boxed in blue) have already been set to Polish (whatever you did with the description apparently caused this to happen). However, the name (boxed in red) is still marked as English. This is the reason the name wasn't showing up in your game. So, in order to fix this, just click on the name line, select the language box, choose Polish, then save the file and put in the override (pictures below).

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
2dj5bm0.jpg

2r5xpvb.jpg

2qss8xs.jpg

Now again, this might not work but to my knowledge it should. Hope I helped.

Archived