59 members have voted

1. 1. What should we call this mod?

• Ultimate Saber Mod 2
    • Masters of TSL
    • Advanced System Lightsabers
    • Community Lightsaber Project
    • Other

Nice work TriggerGod.

One thing I've wondered about double bladed sabers, is that they're usually so symmetrical, but wouldn't it look cool to have one that was geared toward having one dominant hand and one forward hand? Then it could have a kinetic, off balance, chaotic feel to it. Instead of being balanced and used equally from both sides, it could be shifted to be a more forward and offensive weapon. Like having an emitter guard on one end, but a blade/spike on the other end, or hand grips/shrouds that were only comfortable being held one way.

Just some thoughts I've had.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice work TriggerGod.

One thing I've wondered about double bladed sabers, is that they're usually so symmetrical, but wouldn't it look cool to have one that was geared toward having one dominant hand and one forward hand? Then it could have a kinetic, off balance, chaotic feel to it. Instead of being balanced and used equally from both sides, it could be shifted to be a more forward and offensive weapon. Like having an emitter guard on one end, but a blade/spike on the other end, or hand grips/shrouds that were only comfortable being held one way.

You know, I've wondered about that too!

It seems like there's an unspoken agreement:

"If it has two hilts, they're identical."

It makes it way easier to model :p

Well, tell me are there any canonical Sith Lords who have Double-Bladed lightsabers and we're not entirely sure what their sabers look like?

yet, all the single blade hilts that are perfectly symmetrical look kinda like boring tubes. It's the asymmetrical ones that look cool and interesting.

So is the Sith Marauder also going to have a double bladed lightsaber? Since it's the equivalent of a weaponmaster.

I'm keeping the Sith Marauder Lightsaber as the Descent hilt Candy posted earlier. However, something that could be interesting would be if there was a way to give an extra bonus for having two of that lightsaber equipped. When I played Marauder, I would exclusively use 2 lightsabers; I even think there was a feat or somesuch that encouraged that, but my memory is quite shoddy on the matter.

I think the reason most are designed symmetrically that way is because of Darth Maul's lightsaber: yea, it is literally just two of the same lightsaber glued together. I realize it is different from that, but the point is extra power in exchange for extra slowness, and that if it were to be bisected, one or both halves would remain operational.

Even some of the symmetric hilts, if they are "active" enough, could be exciting and interesting. My Sentinel hilt VP posted earlier is easily my favorite lightsaber I've ever made, and that's fairly symmetric.

My excuse is I've found next to no asymmetric designs :p

Update: Got Oldflash's Double Saber replacements pack in-game.

Also, I finished Exar Kun's double-bladed lightsaber. Looks wicked in-game.

Wish I had some skinning prowess though as the shader does most of the work.

Still looks good in-game. I'll see if I can get a screenshot.

My progress is that I've burnt out on my steam funds and I've almost finished my games, in addition to procuring a new copy of TSL that, once I patch for widescreen, I should be able to return to modding, true to form. No promises.

I've also started work on the rest of the lightsabers, but my time is divided amongst them all, so it will take longer for a true progress update, but the update will definitely have more sustenance to it.

q7QMj0i.jpg?1

Exar Kun's Lightsaber in game.

I took a few liberties with the design since there are a few different versions.

Also not sure if you can tell, but I used a little of Trig's Ambient Occlusion baking to give it some more depth.

Also, the detail around the edge of the hilt is much clearer in an active game.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
q7QMj0i.jpg?1

Exar Kun's Lightsaber in game.

I took a few liberties with the design since there are a few different versions.

Also not sure if you can tell, but I used a little of Trig's Ambient Occlusion baking to give it some more depth.

Also, the detail around the edge of the hilt is much clearer in an active game.

It is difficult to see it with the shader, but I can definitely see the AO Bake in your texture. Glad to see those particular fruits do make something of a difference in this fossil. It might be a little easier to see it if you toned down the baremetal, though. Otherwise, looking good.

SEXY SABER IS SEXY.

Why is the PC holding it on the back hilt? I thought generally the game had the PC hold more in the middle.

No, that's how the saber is held. The left hand then goes to the front of the saber. Yeah, I know it looks weird, but it also has to do with how I modeled the saber too. Male characters actually grab onto the spikes. It's rather dumb.

Also, for those of you wondering how the conversion is going.

41 hilts projected to be in-game at this time.

17 colors to choose from.

697 total hilt/crystal combinations at this time.

That's about 2788 files generated for this mod.

What about the end result? Here's a rough estimate of the remaining hilts to be converted

9 Trig hilts

5-6 more Quanon hilts (about)

15-20 HOTOR/TOR hilts.

10 Miscellaneous hilts.

We'll say around 75 hilts total.

That's 1275 hilt/crystal combinations. That's 5100 files.

Also, for those of you wondering how the conversion is going.

41 hilts projected to be in-game at this time.

17 colors to choose from.

697 total hilt/crystal combinations at this time.

That's about 2788 files generated for this mod.

What about the end result? Here's a rough estimate of the remaining hilts to be converted

9 Trig hilts

5-6 more Quanon hilts (about)

15-20 HOTOR/TOR hilts.

10 Miscellaneous hilts.

We'll say around 75 hilts total.

How's that compared to USM?

No, that's how the saber is held. The left hand then goes to the front of the saber. Yeah, I know it looks weird, but it also has to do with how I modeled the saber too. Male characters actually grab onto the spikes. It's rather dumb.

yeah, the animations for double sabers assumes a really wide stance with the hands. It seems like they pretty much hold the hilt right below the emitters. Then you take into account that Exar Kun's prototype double saber has a hilt length the same as a single blade saber (just with two emitters), and it was used with a really narrow handed grip. VP, I can see how you had to stretch the middle portion of the hilt to get it to work with the animations.

:eyepop

Is this mod almost finished?

Depends what you mean by "Almost".

Ultimately, it'll probably be out by the end of August, but that depends too on Trig and Quanon's progress on their lightsabers. Once I get them, it's not that big of a deal to get them working in-game.

I will say that the big hunt for individual lightsaber mods is coming to a close. I have two more packs to go through (Lightsaber resource pack and DeadMan's saber pikes) and then I'll get to HOTOR (which will probably take a while).

As I said, there are currently 41 hilts to choose from (most of which are USM). By the time HOTOR is converted over, I'm sure it will be a somewhat even split between HOTOR and USM and there will be around 75 hilts to choose from.

After that, I get to work on the lengthy installation files for TSLPatcher. But I already have a solution brewing for all that.

There will also be two "secret" hilts hidden in the game files. Not sure how I will make them available but I will say I've been playing around with the idea of an achievement system.

Another benefit of this mod is that it showcases the work of authors who didn't get significant exposure when they released their work on their own.

Which also highlights a slight downfall: Due to permissions, not all lightsaber hilts can be included in the mod due to the original authors no longer being reachable.

On the plus side again, many new hilts are being created directly because of this issue.

Which also highlights a slight downfall: Due to permissions, not all lightsaber hilts can be included in the mod due to the original authors no longer being reachable.

On the plus side again, many new hilts are being created directly because of this issue.

So I take it'd be too much on the fence to rebuild the model from scratch and texture it yourself and not call it using someone's hilt design?

So I take it'd be too much on the fence to rebuild the model from scratch and texture it yourself and not call it using someone's hilt design?

Sort of, yeah. I mean, it's one thing to build a pre-existing design (Exar Kun's lightsaber for instance) but to basically model someone else's original design would be more or less plagiarism.

Plus, why model other people's designs when it'd be easier to just make new designs?

So are you taking new submissions?

Sure, why not? Just make sure that it's textured nicely and has at least some artistic merit. (Basically, don't just send me three blocks glued to a cylinder in a max file).

I'm not sure if anyone has asked about this yet or if it's been touched on but will the hilts have to be "unlocked" first.

For example in order to create a saber hilt that belongs to a party member you must first make them a Jedi and have them make the hilt.

Another example, in order to use say Kavar's hilt(s) you must first finish Onderon and/or defeat him.

I'm not sure if anyone has asked about this yet or if it's been touched on but will the hilts have to be "unlocked" first.

For example in order to create a saber hilt that belongs to a party member you must first make them a Jedi and have them make the hilt.

Another example, in order to use say Kavar's hilt(s) you must first finish Onderon and/or defeat him.

Good question.

I'm thinking the best thing would be to make more hilts available as you unlock achievements. Money seems silly, and unlocking hilts based on quests is too much work for me. Also, I do want this to be a customization mod - not something that makes you work for stuff... well not too much.

Make 100 hilts at the workbench, make all of Evasto's Hilts, make all of OldFlash's hilts, etc and that'll unlock new hilts. I'll have to make sure they "awesome" ones are the ones that are unlockable.

Archived