Home

Which characters should I bring with?

Sith Sizzle

I've beaten the game many times, but I'm curious if there is any dialogue or side quests that I may have missed. What I want to know is what are the best characters to take with me throughout the different planets? I know to trigger their side quests you have to take them off the ship, but I want to know who I should bring with me deeper into the planets. Whether it's a good strategy, unlocks more dialogue, or effects the plot I want to know.

• 4 weeks later...

Depends on which characters you use most and when you add them to your party. A lot of times as soon as I'm able to travel I go straight to Kashyyyk and then get Jolee Bindo because his personality in game is hilarious. Running around with HK47 and Canderous can lead to some funny cutscenes too. I know you know all this, but IMO none of them really contribute THAT much to the overall storyline and main theme to be considered a MUST-HAVE in the party at all times. Hope this helps, even if only a little.

Every time I run through KotOR now, I build a Jedi Guardian. Force Powers are pretty much useless against the bosses + Force Jump is fun. With that in mind, here is what I feel about the various party members:

Carth - Fully Upgraded Cassus Fett's Heavy Blaster + Saul's Sith Assassin Pistol = good supporting damage

Mission Vao - Fully Upgraded Baragwin Ion-X Weapon or Fully Upgraded Jamoh Hogra's Blaster Carbine + Sneak Attack = also good supporting damage. Very good for getting mines (sell them on Yavin IV for double credits) and security. (I usually don't bring her though because the game always prompts me to talk to her, and I don't want to do her broken quest).

HK-47 - Same weapons as Mission, better dialogue and good stats if you repair him.

Jolee - Good support if you're a Jedi Guardian or Sentinel (spam Stasis/Insanity/Wave)

Canderous - I used to always bring this guy just because, when equipped with a fully upgraded Yusanis' Brand, he was devastating. That, and he could take hits. But now that I always go Jedi Guardian or Sentinel, I don't really need his beefiness.

Zalbaar - Zalbaar is like Canderous in that he tanks and hits hard. I don't use him much though for the same reason I don't use Canderous.

Bastila - No.

Juhani - No.

T3-M4 - No

Party Configurations:

Taris

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Zalbaar-Mission: I use this configuration because I don't want to be the tank on Taris - especially since I like becoming a Jedi after Level 2.

Zalbaar-Carth: This build is safer than the above build. While Mission brings a lot of utility (her skills) and in certain situations, a lot of damage (Sneak Attack) Carth is tankier and can deal as much damage with the right weapons and upgrades. That, and I don't want to talk to Mission.

Jedi Guardian/Sentinel

Show spoiler
Jolee-Carth/HK-47/Mission: Whether I choose Carth or HK-47 is based on my alignment (LS: Carth vs DS: HK-47). Both deal a good amount of damage with the right items, feats, and upgrades. Because my character is melee-centric, Jolee takes a supporting role (spamming crowd-control powers while my character hacks down everyone). I don't take Mission because of the reason above, but her Sneak Attack synergizes well with Jolee's crowd-control and disabling Force Powers.

Jedi Consular

Show spoiler
Canderous/Zalbaar-Carth/HK-47: Canderous or Zalbaar in this case ends up acting as the tanky bruiser and I take the support role. I usually take Canderous over Zalbaar, just because I like him more, but Zalbaar can do this job just as well as Canderous - arguably better with his Uncanny Dodge + Wookie Toughness. Whether I take Carth or HK-47 is, once again, dependent on my alignment.

In short, I like a team with one of everything. A tank that can soak up all the damage while bruising opponents (usually me as a Guardian or Sentinel), a support that has utility (Heal, Valor, Armor, Stasis Field, Insanity, Wave, etc.), and a ranged fighter that can deal damage without receiving any back. Blasters are, unfortunately, weaker than lightsabers and melee weapons - unless they're in the hands of a Mission with a positional advantage. However, I prefer having characters that use blasters mainly because they're the better characters (Carth + HK-47 > Bastila + Juhani).

Party Member Quests:(in no particular order)

Show spoiler
Carth

Quest: Dustil Onasi

Talks about his past and the Mandalorian Wars. Good character development. Can complain too much at times, though not as much as Juhani.

Mission

Quest: Mission's Brother (bugged)

Nothing much to offer storywise.

Canderous

Quest: Jagi's Challenge

Tells a lot of interesting stories about his past and the Mandalorian Wars.

HK-47

Quest: Repairing HK-47

Tells a lot of interesting and humorous stories about his past and his methods.

Jolee

Quest: Sunry's Trial

Also tells a lot of interesting stories about his past and Exar Kun's Great Sith War.

Bastila Shan

Quest: Bastila's Mother

Can romance, but she's a... Word inappropriate for these forums.

Juhani

Quest: Threat from Xar (bugged)

Tells stories about her past. Good character development and internal conflict, but she complains too much.

Zalbaar

Quest: Czerka Slavers

Aside from this mandatory quest, not much to offer.

T3-M4

Quest: Taris Sith Base

Aside from this mandatory quest, not much to offer.

NOTE: I may or may not have butchered the names of these quests.

Archived