Home

CANT INSTALL KoTOR 1 on XP SP3

CrisG

I start install,with the four disk game of the year set and at the very end, it keeps asking for Disk 4 even tho Disk 4 is sitting right there IN the Drive!!!!!!!

I tried the Vista7 set up ini and it gives an error, even after i copied all of teh files into an install folder on my desk top and ran it from there?

i would LIKE to use the original game set but will get the steam version if i have to but i really want to try to keep the original game set.

the error says "Uninstall had encountered a problem"

i tried to install from the disks, but when that did not work i didnt Uninstall using the uninstaller so i think they system thinks it is still there. i will re install and then try to uninstall.

any help?

OK i went back a restore point and now the installer works again, so maybe it will work, will report.

I have not installed KoTOR since i got a dual core Up to date XP set up, so had not known there were some problems with the installing and running of the two KoTOR titles. will have to work thru the threads and the fixes here and hopefully they will work. I played both on an older XP machine single core about six or seven years ago. My how times flies.

UPDATE: Ok got it installed whew. Fixed the Graphics fix, will enable v Synch if needed, and will add the dll if needed, not sure yet, got all the restorations in and the Basty Romance fix and enhancement and the 15 restorations I have collected. Will try to run it alter on for now, after six re installs time to have lunch. I may make a pack of material for others using XP dual core if can get this working to speed things up..and also will release the restoration pack finally that i started three years ago, or was it four :)

You won't need the .dll. That's only for KotOR 2, and only necessary for Vista and (possibly) later versions of Windows. You will need the Dantooine lag fix (Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1) if you have a DX10 or later graphics card, but, apparently, you've already done that.

Most likely, you will also have set affinity to a single CPU core every time you launch the game. How I do it is to open Task Manager (right-click on the Taskbar at the bottom of the desktop and select "Task Manager") and click on the "Processes" tab. Check the "Show processes for all users" box if it isn't already and then launch the game. Once you get to the game's main menu, hit the Windows key to get back to the desktop and look for the game's executable (swkotor.exe) in the Task Manager under the "Processes" tab. When you find it, right click on it, select "set affinity" and uncheck every box but "CPU 0" and hit "OK". Once you've done that, just hit the game's icon in the Taskbar and you should be good to go. Remember that you'll have to set CPU affinity like this every time you launch the game. Not doing this can cause the game to randomly crash.

wow thanks Q, i had seen somone set up an affinity via the short cut on the game exe shortcut so i will try that first but if that does not work i will use your method, thanks so much, almost there then, that is good to know. I will assemble all of this info along with the dll and other files for a Start up pack that includes some of the restorations as a shareable resource. Great to have all the help as i have had to go thru this with many many games to keep them playable with changes in OS. :) thanks again.

Archived