Home

KOTOR III: Reckoning

STAR WARS: KOTOR III: RECKONING

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Twenty-five years after MEETRA SURIK defeated DARTH TRAYA upon the Sith world of Malachor V, the Jedi Order is slowly being rebuilt. On Dantooine, new Padawans and Knights are being trained in order to defend and protect the galaxy.

One of these, an apprentice of the Miraluka VISAS MARR, discovers a mysterious artifact hidden among ruins long left untouched. Through the Force, she unwittingly discovers what DARTH TRAYA had long ago - manuscripts of the ancient and pure-blooded Sith. As the Padawan studies, she uncovers several dark truths, none more ominous than this one:

The True Sith, once lords of the galaxy, are returning to call it to account.

JEDI ENCLAVE, DANTOOINE

"Padawan Venn? Would you come here, please?"

Statira, who had been upgrading her training saber with a focus crystal on a workbench, snapped to attention and turned to Visas Marr, a Miraluka. "Yes, Master?" Even though she knew that Visas couldn't see her through ordinary means, the Jedi-in-training saluted and stepped toward her. "What is it?"

"I sense a disturbance in the Force. As I have been meditating, the sheer agony of lost life has unnerved me. Twenty-five years ago, three other Masters were slain by one of my former...traveling companions. It is their voices I hear as I sit with veiled eyes and bowed head. They're crying out to be heard, for no one since Darth Traya and the Exile have done so since."

Shuddering, Visas' apprentice asked: "What are they saying?"

"They keep screaming one word over and over: Look! Even via the Force, through which I perceive the world, I can see nothing. I have inquired of the Masters about the object of my search, but have not received an answer. It is as if each of them is in a place of torture and cannot escape. I would like for you to continue meditating with me, and see if you can speak to them. They should have become one with the Force, but they have not."

Dalren Xellros dodged under the blade of the training saber and force jumped backwards as his opponent brought her training saber up into a defensive stance.

"I'm not going to lie Master, I honestly didn't see that one coming. You seem to have no end of tricks up your robes." Dalren commented as he raised his duel training sabers up in a similar defensive stance. "I've already learned the Echani forms, but you always seem to have a new trick."

The Echani woman who had once traveled with the one known as the Jedi Exile slowly circled her Togruta padawan with her training saber and smiled. "As my student, it's best you learn these tricks from me rather than in the middle of combat with a highly skilled opponent."

"Touche."

"I still don't see why I can't spar with you with my lightsabers. I've learned so much from you and I feel that I'm ready."

Brianna shook her head. "I'm sorry, you are improving daily but I feel you still have to learn a bit more before you spar with me with your lightsabers. You are still learning the art of using dual sabers and although you are close to finishing your lessons with them your still a little ways off."

The Togruta sighed heavily. "As you say Master. But I still look forward to the day when I can use my real lightsabers in a sparring match."

"I know you do. But remember, patience is a virtue."

T9-05 was watching the sparring session and was trying to predict who would win this match. The logical choice was the Echani Jedi but still, the Togruta was holding up against her attacks quite well. The droid was always watching the sparring matches between the Masters and their apprentices. It was a pleasant way to pass the day when there were no new apprentices to instruct. The matches also helped her keep her combat records of the Jedi up to date in case they would ever be needed.

Folding her legs underneath her in the classic lotus position, Statira Venn closed her eyes and began to meditate. At first, she found it hard to concentrate because of her apprehension. Visas Marr hadn't mentioned a simple "disturbance in the Force", one that was perhaps caused by an approaching crowd of pilgrims, but one that was borne of excruciating pain and death. Why does my Master believe that I can help her with this? I'm only a Padawan, and - gaaaahhhh -

"Look. Look. Look. Look." Within her mind, three male voices screamed this single word. Statira wanted to clap her hands over her ears, but her conscious and logical mind told her that there was nothing of sonic substance to avoid. As they continued shrieking in agony, the young Jedi apprentice felt herself tumbling down a steep incline, landing with a thud against a locked door. It appeared to be far older than any of the other entrances to the Jedi Enclave, which had been rebuilt after the Sith Triumvirate's defeat.

The door was unique, with a lock pattern that was made of intertwining columns of stone. What did it symbolize? In her studies, she'd never been taught of this particular formation. Even though she was being trained as a Jedi Sentinel, skilled in the particulars of security and safety protocols, Statira had never encountered it. In her mind's eye, she saw her thin, pale hand touch the door and manipulate the nearly-crumbling columns. Up above, as if through a thick veil of cotton, the three voices of the dead Masters howled.

Shocked and horrified, Statira was jolted out of her meditative trance.

"I...I saw..." She could say nothing more, but traced the pattern of the mechanism on the floor with her finger. "There's a locked door I must open."

"In the Enclave? How strange." Statira continued to relate her vision to Visas, who remarked: "I know exactly where this door is, but it has never been breached since the days of Darth Traya. She came here, and perhaps she engaged the lock to hide her dark and evil secrets. We should find this entrance together, but also take someone else with us. You and I are not the best fighters in the Enclave, but Dalren Xelros is definitely getting there."

Statira was puzzled. "You think there could be enemies locked in an archive?"

"You never know. A Jedi, or Sith, trance can protect one from starvation..."

Dalren was forced to duck under the training saber once again and almost was hit by his Master's open palm strike only to bend backward to avoid the strike. He rose up and jumped backward as his Master tried to hit him with another palm strike.

"Going on the offensive Master?" He asked as he narrowly dodged another palm strike and ducked to the side as the training saber nearly hit his shoulder.

"In the heat of battle there is no telling what may happen or what tactics your enemy may use." She answered as she switched to a defensive stance as Dalren went on the offensive and used one of his sabers to block the training saber and the other to try and go on the offensive.

Just as Dalren was getting close to finally get through his Master's guard she deactivated the training saber and saw her motion for him to do the same. "What's going on?"

Brianna looked towards the entrance of the room. "Master Marr and her padawan are approaching. I believe they may wish to speak with us."

Visas Marr and Statira Venn both bowed at the waist to Brianna and Dalren. "I am sorry to interrupt your combat training," the Miraluka announced softly, "but I've sensed a dire disturbance in the Force. The ghosts of this Enclave are coming back to haunt us, and the concentration of their pain seems to be beneath this very facility. I intend to send Statira on a mission to the underbelly of it, through corridors long since abandoned. Still, I will not send her alone, and request accompaniment for her. Dalren? Are you willing to undertake this mission?"

Statira glanced at Visas, who gave her a nod and permission to continue. "Master Marr knows that I'm not the most skilled Padawan in combat, and she's afraid there might be hostile foes down where she's sending me. Other than laigreks and kinrath, I don't know what those could be, but we hope it's not..."

"Sith," her Master finished. "I do not sense them, but perhaps my awareness is clouded by the Dark Side of the Force. I ask you again: Will you accept?"

"but I've sensed a dire disturbance in the Force. The ghosts of this Enclave are coming back to haunt us, and the concentration of their pain seems to be beneath this very facility. I intend to send Statira on a mission to the underbelly of it, through corridors long since abandoned. Still, I will not send her alone, and request accompaniment for her. Dalren? Are you willing to undertake this mission?"

Statira glanced at Visas, who gave her a nod and permission to continue. "Master Marr knows that I'm not the most skilled Padawan in combat, and she's afraid there might be hostile foes down where she's sending me. Other than laigreks and kinrath, I don't know what those could be, but we hope it's not..."

"Sith," her Master finished. "I do not sense them, but perhaps my awareness is clouded by the Dark Side of the Force. I ask you again: Will you accept?"

Dalren answered without hesitation. The Jedi order had saved his life and presented before him now was a chance to repay the order by doing what he did best: Defending others.

"I will accept this mission and promise that I will do my best to return Statira as soon as the mission is complete." He said as he grabbed his twin sabers from where he had set them down earlier and placed the training sabers on a table. He clipped the twin lightsabers to his belt and smiled.

"When do you wish to go?" He asked as he reached out through the force to try and sense any hostiles that could be present."

"As soon as possible," Visas replied, gesturing for Statira to grab her lightsaber. "The ruins are underneath the alcove leading to what used to be a console station, but has been unused since the deceased Masters were still alive."

"Got it." Statira saluted her Master. "We'll be back soon, if the Force is willing."

"The ruins are underneath the alcove leading to what used to be a console station, but has been unused since the deceased Masters were still alive."

Dalren frowned slightly as he sensed...nothing. There was nothing hostile that he could sense from anywhere in or near the enclave. Was it possible that there was something shielding whatever it was they were supposed to be looking for using some sort of force technique?

"We'll be back soon, if the Force is willing."

Dalren's frown vanished as he turned to face his Master, Master Marr and Statira and bowed respectfully. "I give you my word that I will make sure Statira will return alive."

He looked towards the exit. "Are you ready to go?" He asked.

Statira winked at Dalren, by whom she had always been intrigued. He was not only a Togruta, but his sheer strength in the martial arts surpassed even her best efforts. "Of course," she told him, and the two set out for the portion of the Enclave Visas had metioned. Before they did, however, the young girl tried to sense anything hostile in the area, as Dalren had. "Nothing? This is strange. You'd think that something alarming Master Marr so strongly would have more of a Force signature. Maybe whatever's down there has strong powers of stealth."

Striding out across the lush, green grounds of the rebuilt Enclave, they soon heard a strange noise. "Huh? What's that? Is someone coming?"

Draco began to sense something. An ending, possibly to that of his duration as the Waiting One. There were others, it seemed, looking for him or this room. One had touched the darkness that resided in this powerful place and recoiled from it, despite the barriers that were in place.

Others had searched before, but with little more than a cursory inspection that had been assuaged by the touch of the barriers. He felt two more touch these barriers, and left a thought in their heads. What if this thing could make me more powerful?

"Huh? What's that? Is someone coming?"

"Glad to see someone else interested in these ruins.", a middle-aged twi'lek responded.

Icarus Thaesar had been loitering around this part of the enclave for some time now. He had been unable to crack the lock, most likely due to his rather limited skill in lockpicking.

"Dalren, right?", he asked, pointing a finger at the large togruta. "I believe I've seen you down in the dueling annex on a few occasions." He then turned towards the human. "And I know I've seen you before. You're Master Marr's Padawan, correct?"

"Dalren, right?", he asked, pointing a finger at the large togruta. "I believe I've seen you down in the dueling annex on a few occasions.

"Yes Master." Dalren said as he bowed. "The dueling annex is one of my favorite places in the temple to be honest. I was assigned to assist Statira should the need arise during our mission."

He looked over the Twi'lek. "So...if I may ask what are you doing here?"

"Yes Master. The dueling annex is one of my favorite places in the temple to be honest. I was assigned to assist Statira should the need arise during our mission."

He nodded, "I happen to be a fan of it as well. It's good for keeping your skills sharp."

"Have I met you before, or seen you around? I'd better warn you: not even I have been able to open that door, though I've certainly tried."

"Not even you?", he mocked, "It would be wise to eliminate that self-absorbed attitude of yours quickly."

"And no, we've never met. But Master Marr has spoken highly of you on several occasions."

"So...if I may ask what are you doing here?"

Icarus paused for a moment. Another idea had popped into his head. He ignited his double-bladed lightsaber and carved a man-sized hole into the door.

"Opening the door.", he responded casually, turning off the lightsaber.

"Not even you?" he mocked. "It would be wise to eliminate that self-absorbed attitude of yours quickly."

Self-absorbed attitude? Why, I ought to...There is no emotion; there is peace. There is no emotion; there is peace. There is no emotion... Taking a deep breath to calm down, Statira watched the Twi'lek cut the door open. Oh, kriff! Why didn't I think of that before? I had believed it was some sort of test for Padawans and Masters alike, but I guess not... Her cheeks flushed red.

Once a gaping hole was all that remained of the intricate lock mechanism, Statira stepped cautiously forward to peek inside. So far, all that she could see was darkness, and all that she could smell was the musty air of long-forgotten space.

Sensing the presence of some force users approaching his location, Draco decided to test them a little. He reactivated some of the droids that were being kept there and sent them to attack the force-users. They were equipped with shields, and their weapons were pretty high tech. The only problem with them was the rusted mechanics of some of their joints. Still, 15 droids should at least be a challenge to the group.

Once the droids had closed in, he reached out and touched the minds of the members of the trio, subtly trying to get them to show off. He felt he had more of an effect on the more combat focused two, and withdrew from the other's mind.

Statira cocked an eyebrow. "Well? What are we waiting for?" She listened closely. "I don't hear anything, or sense anything through the Force that might be amiss. Then again, I'm just a Padawan, and more danger could lie ahead than I originally thought. I think we should definitely proceed, but with caution."

"Well? What are we waiting for?" She listened closely. "I don't hear anything, or sense anything through the Force that might be amiss. Then again, I'm just a Padawan, and more danger could lie ahead than I originally thought. I think we should definitely proceed, but with caution."

Dalren frowned as he reached out with the force and sensed...nothing. Which in itself was odd. One was able to sense most forms of life through the force and yet he didn't sense any life at all.

He looked into the dark corridor and reached for his lightsabers and ignited the twin blue blades as he heard a faint clanking sound coming from further down the corridor.

Yet he still sensed nothing.

"Does anyone else hear that?" He asked as he heard the faint clanking off in the distance.

• 2 weeks later...

Statira listened more closely, with the aid of the Force. "What's that clanking sound? It's as if there's some kind of droid approaching, but from what Master Marr said, such a machine would have to be nearly rusted by now. As far as I know, no one at all has been down here due to the complicated lock mechanism holding fast." She ignited her training saber, albeit briefly, and pressed forward.

Archived