Home

Sad truth about growing up

Sith Sizzle

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm sure a lot of you have experienced the same thing. I don't want to sound spoiled, just sharing an old moment in my life.

You're young, living at home, with minimal responsibilities. Your parents or another relative purchases you a video game system and a couple games. Since you don't have much to worry about you can sit around and enjoy these games all day. However once they are beaten, you have no more games and not many more will be purchased for you since they aren't cheap.

Next thing you know you are old enough to work so you score your first job. This job is most likely minimum wage, but since you still live at home it's like having a career. You will have a few important things where money needs to be spent, but at the end of the day you will have a lot extra. So you go and purchase several games, maybe even a different system with games for it as well. Then you get home and realize: I have to study, I have practice, I have a social life, I have class in the morning, then work right after. You can finally afford all of the games your heart desires, but you have no time to play them!

Good quote (not exact) that sums this up: "The more money you earn to play games, the less time you get to play them."

- Possibly said by InsaneSith

Another thing I like said by The Doctor:

When you're young you have time and energy, but no money.

When you're an adult you have money and energy, but no time.

When you're old you have time and money, but no energy.

This post actually reminds me of a very, very old post on Yoda's Swamp around when I joined, back in '04. I don't remember who said it, I'm guessing it was InsaneSith, but it was like "The more money you earn to play games, the less time you get to play them." I'll have a dig around and see if I can find it - it might just be one of my earliest memories of this forum.

Edit: Blast from the past, this may be it.

Word up OP.

My interest in vidya has steadily declined with age as well... you just get other priorities in life - whereas when I was younger I could get really excited about the launch date of a particular game. I was also able to easily put in a 10h run in World of Warcraft almost every day, a feat I could not with a good conscience best today.

Stay single, don't have kids = More time to play vidya, even with a job.

This is my philosophy. I've always said that I never want to even consider having children, because as soon as it happens it feel like my money and time are no longer mine, even though I will have spent years and years to EARN that money and time.

Stay single, don't have kids = More time to play vidya, even with a job.

QFT...

I am old, have more responsibilities than I ever possibly imagined, but I still play. Can't do the 18 hour marathon secession, but I still play a few hours almost daily. Just have to give up other forms of entertainment, like TV and sleep. :D

QFT...

I am old, have more responsibilities than I ever possibly imagined, but I still play. Can't do the 18 hour marathon secession, but I still play a few hours almost daily. Just have to give up other forms of entertainment, like TV and sleep. :D

While I do love my sleep, I already happily go without TV. Watching TV is quite frankly the most mind numbing thing I could do. You pay like £50+ per month for a Premium TV package and then you can never find anything on, and you find that you're mostly paying for advertisements. And, I hate British TV, but I once went to Canada, and holy hell, I could not live with Canadian/American TV. Makes me want to claw my eyes out.

What is this broadcast television you speak of?

You can always find time to game. I actually had more time to game during my busiest time in college.

It also helps if you find a nice sir/madam who happens to also enjoy gaming, or at least watching you game.

Being a kid means having time and energy to do whatever you want, but not the money/freedom. Being an adult means having the money and energy, but not the time. And being old means having the time and money, but not the energy.

It's one of life's cruelest jokes.

• 2 weeks later...
As a supplement to coffee, yes.

Or a caffeine IV drip...

When I was married with kids, I had lots of money and time... Duct Tape makes an excellent babysitter :D

Just kidding... Use rope. Takes em longer to chew through.

At any rate, I realized that I have gotten older(Something about the grey thinning hair), and that my interest in certain types of games has lessened. RPG's and the like I love more now than I used to, and I used to consider the story the boring annoying part in between killing stuff in FPS. Maybe I just got tired of retreads of killing the same thing in wave after wave...

• 2 weeks later...
Or a caffeine IV drip...

When I was married with kids, I had lots of money and time... Duct Tape makes an excellent babysitter :D

Just kidding... Use rope. Takes em longer to chew through.

Chains work even better.

I heartily approve of a caffeine IV.

You make time for your entertainment, whatever that might be. I gave up broadcast TV to game. I've given up a fair bit of gaming over the summer to go to different places with the family and to garden. During the winter, I'll be able to game more again. While I was in school, I had no time for gaming during mid-terms and finals, but I had a lot more over break. It comes in cycles like that sometimes.

Archived