Home

Modding and motivation

Canderis

Recently I have been working on a mod project, or so I say. In actuality I will open up kotor tool, start poking around, and then come up with any excuse I can of why I can't mod today. I love the feeling of seeing your story come to life. It's a wonderful thing, but I just can't seem to motivate myself to do it anymore if I ever really could. So my question is this: how do you guys find motivation to mod? Or even work on any projects you don't have to complete?

I do it for the Dark side Cookies...mmm

On topic:

Myself- I think about the enjoyment people will get from playing the mod.

I know there will always be people who will not enjoy or have XYZ to grip about - But the over all player base will enjoy your mod.

Just think, one of your waiting to be completed/release mods -might just inspire another person to mod -wither it be kotor games or another game.

I know I was inspired by other peoples' mods to get into modding or at least think- let me see what this is all about.

There is a person waiting to be inspired by your mod- you just need to finish/release.

Now go and inspire others with your mods =)

Logan23

I've been going in cycles for the past year or two..do some work, take some time off, do some work, take some time off....About 3-6 months ago, I swore off modding. I thought I was done, just couldn't do it anymore. Slowed down my visits to LucasForums, Deadly Stream, etc. Tried to distance myself from it.

Then out of the blue just started tinkering again--helped someone else with a modding problem, got a random question about one of my mods, and 'BAM'--I was at it full throttle again. Then I said to myself "You've done so much work already on these things it would be pretty F'ing stupid if you didn't finish them."

So I've set a goal of getting these mods done and released...then.....we will see.

I also haven't been very active lately, though I won't stop modding games in general. I like the idea of implementing something I would like to see in a game. For example: I scripted a K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider into GTA SA, the way I wanted it to be. It wasn't perfect, sure. But I liked it that way. I knew there were completed mods out there, but I just wanted the car. So I basically do things, because I want to have them and I know what I want. If they are complete I'll release them. (Most of them are not :xp:)

helped someone else with a modding problem

Off topic: you defiantly helped me :) thanks for that btw.

On Topic: I've been very...VERY inactive latley unfortunatly... But basicly I look at modding the same way I look at football (American :p) or any sport you may play. Everyone has to find they're own reason to play. I'm not even going to lie a big reason I play football is the fact it really makes me more popular in highschool. While some simply play to stay in shape. Modding is the same way some mod for compliments while others mod for themselves.

Recently I have been working on a mod project, or so I say. In actuality I will open up kotor tool, start poking around, and then come up with any excuse I can of why I can't mod today. I love the feeling of seeing your story come to life. It's a wonderful thing, but I just can't seem to motivate myself to do it anymore if I ever really could. So my question is this: how do you guys find motivation to mod? Or even work on any projects you don't have to complete?

To be honest, Canderous, I see where you're coming from a bit. I'm only a little younger then you and started modding around your age too. I'm 17 until the end of April.

I know this may sound cheesy, lame, or stupid, or whatever excuse people use to make fun of overly emotional speeches, but bear with me:

Think of how you felt the first time you made an item, the first time you got that skin looking just right, or even the first time one of your mods got a download. How did you feel, knowing that you could create almost anything you wanted? And what did you think when you saw that someone liked your idea? You wanted to do it again, didn't you?

I know that modding these games isn't a paid profession, but more of a hobby. That doesn't mean you can't try your hardest or do what someone tells you to; it means that you dive into a universe you enjoy, and make it seem a little more right.

For me, these things are paramount to why I mod. I enjoy what I create, but I also don't create mindlessly. I take after HK in that respect: it isn't about the numbers, but the quality of my work. I need to have it right, have it just the way it needs to be, and short of that, the best I can make it. I have a motivation to try my hardest, but I ground myself to something else: stability. Modding is a finely-tuned machine: if one thing goes out of balance, the machine loses its edge and doesn't function the way it should. For me, this translates into something real simple: "If it doesn't make sense, or you can't make it make sense, it can't be suitable material."

We all journey on the paths we tread, and sometimes we find a crossroads but don't know which way to tread. Tired from the journey, we settle down and rest a while to think. When we make a decision, we close paths that won't be tread; sometimes we leave our well-worn paths and travel roads new and unknown. But one day we must all go home.

You've been in this thing for about 3 years(give or take). Your lack of motivation is entirely justified. The best advice I can offer is to consider the basic questions:

1. Why did I get into modding?

2. What do I enjoy from it?

3. If I could give it up, why would I?

In closing, I find motivation because of my love of a good story. I feel great when I imagine an adventure unfold, the people, the places, the dangers and triumphs they face. They have lives, backgrounds, stories, wants and fears of their own. I get an immense satisfaction in telling their stories and molding them into people. If I see something that catches my eye, or that seems impossible, I ask myself, "Why not?" and think about how to do it.

SPEECH OVER! :p

Sorry for the immensely long post, but I didn't realize I had this much to say. Hope you do well, whatever you do in your free time. How's high school?

Archived