Home

The difference between football and soccer!

Sith Sizzle

What do you call North American/Gridiron Football and Association Football?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call North American/Gridiron Football and Association Football?

• North American/Gridiron - FOOTBALL
    • North American/Gridiron - GRIDIRON
    • North American/Gridiron - BOTH/OTHER
    • Association - FOOTBALL
    • Association - SOCCER
    • Association - BOTH/OTHER

The NFL (National Football League) is in season right now in the United States and I love watching football games! During a game last week someone mentioned that football is actually the sport with the black and white ball that you kick into goals. This is true, however just because one sport is referred to as football doesn't mean other sports can't be either. It's not a very original name, but the game is! I'm sure other people here call it different things so I thought I'd post about the true naming of two awesome sports! This is the difference between football and soccer:

FOOTBALL

The sport I call football in the United States is actually one of two types of football.

Both are officially known as North American football or gridiron football.

The two different types are American football and Canadian football.

People from both countries refer to their own version of it as simply football.

People from other countries such as Australia and New Zealand refer to it as gridiron.

SOCCER

The sport people call football in most countries is officially known as association football.

People from the United States and Canada refer to it as soccer.

People from other countries such as Australia and New Zealand refer to it as both.

NOTE: Not to be confused with rugby football (league and union) which is its own sport.

It annoys me too that's why I tried to explain some things. I know some people that have their own weird nicknames for certain sports. I call it soccer, but I kind of have too considering football refers to the NFL and the U.S. professional soccer teams play for MLS (Major League Soccer) so it's official here.

Even I know the NFL isn't football. Football is played on college fields across America on Saturdays, but only the games involving The University of Texas are really important. That kick ball stuff is fine, but I would rank it behind women's badminton as far as a real sport.:xp:

The argument that annoys me is that American 'Football' is a sport for manlier, tougher men.

Yeah, maybe in full armour. Heard of Rugby, friends from over the pond? ;)

I've heard that before and it annoys me too. There is no such thing as a manly sport. Some require different skills than others, but they're all sports and people should play what they enjoy. Rugby is definitely a tough sport and I don't think many people realize that since the last decade or so rugby has been getting pretty big here. It's played by youth, clubs, high school, college, and semi-professional. However it's not as big compared to other countries and we don't have a professional league. Although we do have a national team that plays internationally mostly in the Olympics.

I've heard that before and it annoys me too. There is no such thing as a manly sport. Some require different skills than others, but they're all sports and people should play what they enjoy. Rugby is definitely a tough sport and I don't think many people realize that since the last decade or so rugby has been getting pretty big here. It's played by youth, clubs, high school, college, and semi-professional. However it's not as big compared to other countries and we don't have a professional league. Although we do have a national team that plays internationally mostly in the Olympics.

I'm not so sure; here in the Northeast, rugby isn't even on the radar, and it's associated more with prep schools. It does seem to be getting popular in the West and South, though. I do enjoy watching both soccer and rugby, but never could get into American football, despite being American myself. I also enjoy watching Australian Rules football (on the few occasions I find it on TV or the web :xp:). That sport is not for the faint of heart.

I...I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. But I will choose to keep my dislike for most aspects of public American culture out of this thread.

How recent is that, urluckyday?

Not sure how recent it is - timeless in my book lol.

Also,People that say they don't like most aspects of American culture probably haven't experienced the right ones.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Sure, there are instances of "faking it" like that in American football...but nothing ever quite that sad.

• 2 weeks later...

Football, is older than America.

Handegg was invented in America.

It makes sense to name things after what is used in playing them - so football is played with feet and a ball, similarly hand egg is played with hands and an egg.

(I do actually love NFL :p but I do love "world" football more).

Football, is older than America.

Handegg was invented in America.

It makes sense to name things after what is used in playing them - so football is played with feet and a ball, similarly hand egg is played with hands and an egg.

(I do actually love NFL :p but I do love "world" football more).

Well then how do hockey and rugby get their names?

Should hockey be called puckstick? Should rugby be called roughball? :p

And you know that the ball is kicked during returns, punts, and field goals so it is FOOTball for a short time lol.

I...I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. But I will choose to keep my dislike for most aspects of public American culture out of this thread.

How recent is that, urluckyday?

I was being sarcastic lol

Not sure how recent it is - timeless in my book lol.

Also,People that say they don't like most aspects of American culture probably haven't experienced the right ones.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Sure, there are instances of "faking it" like that in American football...but nothing ever quite that sad.

The music just makes it so much better.

Archived