Home

Mission: Bring LF Back to Life

Scorge

After the past few years, the community has been dying down. It's really sad to see this happen. So we must bring this place back to life, get more WIP's up, get more updates. So guys, listen to me, tell your friend's, family, or even that guy at McDonald's to join our community. This is our mission, we are all family.

A lot of us are losing Interest (including me.) so I have a solution. Make mods about your current interests, GTA, Assassins Creed, all of that stuff. Just don't let the fire burn out. Hear me out and read my message.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much what urluckyday said. I, like you, don't want this forum to die out but as the last star wars game that got people coming to LF was, well, maybe even KotOR, it has started to. With Battlefront or something, maybe the tables will turn and we will be resuscitated with crude defibrillation.

I also don't come on as often as I used to, but I still pop in regularly, even if I don't post.

Honestly, with the future of Star Wars looking brighter, I expect that when newer games come out things will pick up. And frankly I think this place is still very alive considering the age of most of the games that brought us here.

Well, I'm rather new here so I can't really speak to how active this place used to be, but my level of activity here is rather limited by schoolwork. Even when I have free time I am too tired/lazy to do anything here.

Eh, as I mentioned sometime before there was a ****load of people who suddenly left after the whole Skype drama thing or whatever you would call it went off. There were a few core posters who suddenly stopped posting and then their minions followed suit.

Quite a fascinating example of herd mentality. I usually pop in every other day or so... don't think I'll stop visiting either since this is pretty much the only forum I've ever liked enough to be loyal to since 2004.

@ Pheonix: Nope, you're misremembering things because you don't actually know much about those events.

LF's traffic died down way before the "skype drama"... and the whole "skype drama" was really stupid to begin with since it was a handful of people who decided to start a group chat on skype. These same people had already run an IRC channel and were part of an offshoot forum (Echobase) long before we ever talked on Skype. The reason why certain people got butthurt about that "skype drama" was because those certain people had a bone to pick with the moderation team for unrelated issues and were using the fact that a few of us talked on Skype as leverage for their lofty goals of... *snickers* overthrowing the moderation team.

As stupid as this all sounds, this is how things were going down, I know it sounds completely stupid now but hey, apparently I was part of some kind of cabal to ban everyone on the forum according to those few asshats that believed in that kind of jazz.

But the people who were spouting all of that crap weren't the core members of the forum, and they were a very small group of very grumpy people. Most of them were very new people who had already clashed with the moderators even before the "skype drama" started... *sigh* ...forum politics, don't you just love them? Most of the core members are all still here and post frequently or infrequently... most left before and after that whole ordeal for totally different reasons. There are a whole list of names of members I could write who left over the years, people I've known who have been a part of this place who have moved on for various reasons related to their personal lives outside of the internet and not some stupid "skype drama".

With people leaving because their lives had taken them elsewhere combined with the fact that LucasArts hadn't done much of anything over the last few years of its life, it's just a matter of time before attrition brings us to this point where we're down to a handful of people we have today.

Now, I, and some other folks on the staff, do have some ideas to help get LFN back on its feet... but just like all of the people who left LF... we end up being plagued by real life matters that don't leave us as much time as we'd want to work on LFN.

I'm still hopeful that I do find time to work on LFN cause I do spend some time making stuff that don't end up being put up for whatever reason.... like that SWK redesign... but *shrugs* what can ya do?

EDIT: I'm still amused that there were and probably still are quite a lot of people who thought I and others in the staff were plotting to ban them (or something)... when in reality, the staff fought tooth and nail for the members of this forum. We're always seen as the bad guys just because a couple of radicals want things done their way specifically even though their way will end up being MUCH worse than what the "big bad moderators" would ever do (in peoples minds)... though when it comes down to it, it really isn't about the intention of the moderators, we could be perfect little angels and many could love us immensely and there'd still be a bunch of grumpy people who'd be all up in arms with the way we do things.

*shrugs*

As for LFN's future... I have a few months free... maybe I can come up with something in that time. I hope so... though, I wasn't kidding before... I AM very busy playing video games right now XD

EDIT2: Guh, my spelling and grammar is terrible and I can't be bothered fixing.... whatever.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've already made multiple attempts to leave this place. I always end up coming back, even if I don't post a lot anymore these days. It's got a certain charm to it that even my own toxic, angst-driven experiences of previous years can overcome. Can't really put my finger on it, though.

That Skype drama happened around the time I showed up iirc, and I'm no newbie to these parts. I think the reason that this place is dying is because there has not been a new Star Wars game that was widely enjoyed since 2005 or 2006 with republic commando or empire at war respectively. Once a new one comes out people will be back. They always come back.

I'm still amused that there were and probably still are quite a lot of people who thought I and others in the staff were plotting to ban them (or something)...

Hey, I earned my ban! ;) [Luckily, I also earned my reinstatement so there's that.]

But seriously, this is the first time I ever heard there was LucasForums drama on Skype.

But seriously, this is the first time I ever heard there was LucasForums drama on Skype.

Yeah, me too. I have no idea when this was but this "Skype Conversation" is already a bit of an urban myth to me.

Similarly to what The Doctor said, I always find myself coming back here for whatever reason. I don't know what that reason is, though.

Eventually, and for reasons summed up by Lynk, this place WILL die. That is just life, but many of us had at least a little bit of fun here and this was a good place to be.

This place doesn't have to die... it just requires a bit of time from a few people to bring it back to life... I'm hoping I can find some of that time. I still have hope and I'm not about to give up bring this place back to a higher level. Sure, it'll never get back to its prime, but LucasArts has still left quite a legacy we'd like to continue to honour.

As for the Skype drama... long story shot. A few of us decided to start a big group skype chat together since by that time we'd had known each other for quite a number of years. Within that skype chat all we did was talk about random crap that wasn't really relevant to anything. A few people on LF caught wind of it and decided that the moderators and the members in that skype chat had formed some kind of cabal to control and ban anyone they didn't like on this forum.

Amazing.

Really, I think it was the SWKnights java chat that started it. That was public, so me, Dev, Jae, Bob & co started chatting on it. Then we all moved to Skype because the applet was terrible, and that had the side effect of making the chat "invite-only" and obviously nefarious! Very entertaining.

Anyways, I am excited by the prospect of new SW games coming out. I'm sure they will, because Disney can't pass up an opportunity like that, and given the type of more mature content Disney has been passing through I think that they have a passing chance of being interesting! This will no doubt bring in a lot of newbies.

OK, I'm off work and I've taking a break from exercising. I might ramble on a bit.

Since Scorge is the OP, I'll mainly be addressing him in particular. In no way are my comments meant to belittle or demean him in any way. (It is "him," right?) In addition, these comments aren't even necessarily about you in particular but a way of informally expressing my ideas. It sounds more natural to my ear to address one person rather than a community.

Before I continue, realize I'll be focusing more on the modding aspect of the Knights of The Old Republic section. That's what I come here for and I prefer to write what I know about. (Or at least read about. My modding is certainly not anything fantastic! LOL) I know there's more to LF than just modding KotOR and TSL...

Any community worthwhile is made up of interesting individuals that find some common interest but you can't just will it into being. You have to nurture it by your own actions and not a call to arms. Community projects tend to come about once people have recognized your past contributions to a community. I'm referring about your Holiday Mods thing you tried to put together. The idea has merit but you could have set the bar by completing one of those Holidays (or part of one) by yourself to show others the way to go.

Here's a few ideas of what you can do to help LucasForums, Scorge.

1) Make something - even if it's small. Whether it's a script, a texture, a new model, a voice set, a short story, or something else entirely - have fun creating something. (Fun is contagious.) However, don't announce the mod until it's done. Hype machines should be left to Hollywood and Broadway. Just make it. Make that mod for you and not for an audience.

2) Be ready to accept that whatever you share with the community may come with criticism. Be graceful and tactful when people offer you their opinions. Keep an open mind - the commentary provided may have a good point on a idea.

3) Continuing the assumptions that you made a mod: I bet you learned something making that mod. I like learning about new way to do things - new modders will too! Share it with us. Knowledge dies in a vacuum.

4) What if you learned how to make your mod from a tutorial here on LucasForums? Fantastic! First, please thank whoever made that tutorial and tell him/her how it helped you make your mod. That author needs feedback too. Was that tutorial a little tough to understand but you somehow thought of a way to explain in a simpler manner? When you do announce your finished mod, explain to others how to do it too (while still crediting the original tutorial, of course.)

5) Play other mods. If you find something you like, let that author know specifically why you like it. Did you like parts of it and not other parts? Acknowledge both the good and bad portions. In your criticism, be constructive.

6) Explore other parts of the site. I'm not just talking about all the sections in KOTOR. Check out Jedi Knight, for example.

7) Continuing my thought from (5): play other LF games. KotOR and TSL are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Star Wars games. Pick up a Steam download of one of the older LF games and try it out. Share that with the LF world in your signature! Post in that LF sub-forum and help keep those forums alive.

It all starts with you. So what are you going to do first?

PS: Before someone points it out: Yes, I should follow some of this advice myself too. You can stop laughing now. ;)

This place doesn't have to die... it just requires a bit of time from a few people to bring it back to life... I'm hoping I can find some of that time.

When I said LF will die at some stage, I wasn't being cynical, and I apologise if I possibly offended you. What I meant was merely that every community "disbands" eventually, in 10 years or 10 days.

I don't think LF has lived past its day.

On another note, it is "just" a forum and all but I don't think many people how important it is to some people. To me, growing up, I have had a lot of drama and a lot of people leave, but since joining this forum all the same names have been there. Lynk Former, Jeff, Marius Fett, Jae Onasi and more. This place, in the past, has been stone keeping me earthed. People underestimate how helpful just having a few people to talk to about mundane things can be. I'm 17 now and I was 11 when I joined this forum and in that time, I've spoken on this forum to people moreso than I have seen my mother at all. Love you guys.

/soppyandoveremotionalpost

I've always been a huge Star Wars fan, but when I got the game in 2003 I was only 10 and had no idea what forums were. I didn't find out about them until 2011 when I had to join a Minecraft one so that I could play on the server. Since then I've looked on the internet for many different forums for games that I really enjoy and this is by far my favorite one. I haven't been here very long, but from what I've seen the community is very mature and friendly. For a game that only offers single player I feel like we're all playing together because people offer good advice on gameplay, mods, etc. and discuss their gameplay. If the LF community is this good now I imagine it was twice as good when the forum was at its prime in activeness.

I'm hoping this forum stays as active as it is now and slowly increases as new Star Wars movies and games are released. If a new movie is released it will give everyone on LF something new to talk about and if new games are released we can discuss those too, but what we really need for this specific forum to thrive is KOTOR 3. KOTOR was released on iOS, but a rerelease on a new system isn't nearly enough. I'm very much aware of what KOTOR 3 was suppose to be and why it wasn't made and that SWTOR is apparently KOTOR 3 - 10 or whatever blah blah blah, but I'm still positive. Disney now owns Star Wars and if they feel KOTOR 3 will be a financial success, even if they realize it in several years, it will happen. If it does, this forum will blow up like Alderaan and the Death Star combined.

I miss the old days when I would check out the forums three or four times a day and read a bunch of new posts each time I came here.

I'm still here and never left, but even when the forums were busy I never really posted a lot. I read a lot and posted when I felt like I had something to say... and wasn't too lazy to type it out. :p

What sort of makes me a bit sad is that I used to think of this place four or five times a day. Really, it was my first stop every time I sat down at my computer. Now I'll find myself thinking, "when was the last time I checked out LF? Yesterday? Three days ago? Has it been a week or even longer?!"

I'd love to see the forums busy again! This is the first forum that I became a regular poster. Even though I had joined a forum or two before LF and have joined others since, I consider LF "home." It's natural to see the place die down, but still sad nonetheless.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I'm still around without just posting "I'm still around."

From my observations and personal experience here, I'm convinced that the systematic gutting of LF is a prime example of what can happen when a charming, manipulative, textbook-sociopathic control freak is given a position of authority and those who granted that authority, due to pride, or solidarity or whatever, persistently fail to take responsibility for their mistake and take the necessary actions to fix it, even when the results are staring them in squarely the face. Instead, they resort to scapegoating certain members, usually those who have no authority, and, therefore, no ability, to wreak this kind of havoc, but have dared to speak out. This is, incidentally, exactly the result that said charming, manipulative, textbook-sociopathic control freak wanted in the first place. :p

It's like a religion, or something. :smirk2:

Oh, and DUH-UH... :roleyess:

I'm pretty convinced SW:K slowly having less traffic is due to the games being 10 and 8 years old; nothing more, nothing less. Given that I rarely venture beyond SW:K I will refrain from commenting about the rest of LF; though my experience of staff is a good one, I personally wouldn't say any are sociopaths.

Archived