Home

Favorite Video Game Genre

Sith Sizzle

What is your favorite video game genre?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite video game genre?

• Action/Adventure
    • Arcade
    • Fighting
    • Music
    • Platformer
    • Puzzle
    • RPG
    • Racing
    • Shooter
    • Simulation
    • Sports
    • Strategy

even though i seem to play shooters more than any genre, i'm going to have to go with rpg....The Elder Scrolls Series, Fallout 3, The Knights of the Old Republic Series (specifically TOR, but count the other 2 to be just as good), and the Mass Effect series. Reason I like this genre is because you can do pretty much whatever you want, free roaming, etc. and character development...love the dark side/renegade options in the mass effect/kotor, and i love the free roam of the elder scroll series and fallout 3/New Vegas.

maybe the fact i don't want to pick shooters is because i'm in the military and they NEVER go into any depth of how it can be oh so boring, briefings, but more specifically pmcsing vehicles and equipment, and conducting pccs and pcis prior to any mission, however character development (camaraderie, crazy joking, etc) within the stories and use of the radio i noticed it pretty accurate from what i've experienced in real life. the thing that is not as accurate as should be is the turrets on the vehicles..when i did gunnery tables, the turret doesn't spin on a dime, i had to ****ing hand crank that bitch in order to turn it....lol maybe they got more modernized, idk. it just seems so unreal, besides the graphics. lol the graphics are pretty damn good.

Me too! Have you played Empire at War and/or Galactic Battlegrounds?

They aren't the best obviously, but since they are Star Wars I gotta love em.

I haven't played Empire at War yet but I think I got it in a Steam sale a while ago so when I have free time I'll check it out.

I nrecent years my tastes have gone more towards RPG but I cannot deny the love for the old still exists.

Platformers, action, shooters, adventure, fighting.

Sims to a lesser degree. If only because TheSims2 has mods I love. I'm not really a fan of bleach and naruto but some of their characters have some awesome designs. So I get mods here and there of them and more.

I'm still new to sandbox because my machine I'm currently stuck with can't play Orange Box nor L4D2. I have so much I need to buy to get up to speed and yet it eludes me because I simply don't make enough $$$ to do all that.

The first pixel art I was exposed to was an application called Kid Pix 2 for Macintosh which later inspired me to ask for Mario Paint on SNES one christmas. I actually used that along with my vcr to make little films and videos. Lol, the no music/silent had an occasional sneeze that would stop you for that brief moment whatever you were doing. Also had a flyswatter game on it.

I also liked games that allowed you to customize stuff. Wrecking Crew and excitebike for NES, Lode Runner 2 for Macintosh. *glances over at my old Performa6300CD, wishing I could resurrect it but there's no video card replacement*

Anyone remember Descent?

Old RPG wise I also liked dungeon masters 1 & 2, Odyssey Legend of Nemesis, Blades of Exile, and various mac rehashes of classic arcade games.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah that game was a trip for the '90s. That and dark forces. First exposure to 3D shooters. I'm not at all surprised I came to love Twisted Metal a short time later.

I think I only ever got as far as the volcano level. You're the same age as me R15, so when did you play Descent? I think I first played it about '96, '97.

Man...memories, I tell ya what.

RPG. I prefer games with strong narratives/focus on narrative, and this is usually done in RPG's more than any other genre.

But suddenly, a wild Telltale appeared!

Tellltale's evolution of adventure games are like cocaine to the veins, but I must say that also have quite a fondness for RPG mechanics, and the strategic management thereof.

Archived