Home

The Day of the Doctor

The Doctor

We're nine days away now from the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary special, and I know there are other Doctor Who fans around here who'll appreciate this as much as I do - a prequel "minisode" entitled The Night of the Doctor, written by Steven Moffat.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Anyone else as antsy for this special as I am?

I'm looking forward to it, but I must admit I've not been a massive fan of either David Tennant or Matt Smith's Doctors (though I have grown to like Matt Smith a bit more).

Trying to avoid spoilers, but...

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
War Doctor?

Too many questions! :)

I'm also looking forward to the BBC Drama about the start of Doctor Who, 'An Adventure in Space and Time' - unfortunately I'm not sure when that's going to be broadcast overseas.

And I should say I'm massively looking forward to Peter Capaldi as The Doctor, I've loved his work since seeing him as King Charles in The Devil's Whore, and of course as Malcolm Tucker in The Thick of It.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing the new episode. I'll be honest, I wasn't too crazy about McGann as the Doctor. But he did quite well in that special.

War Doctor? I can't wait to see how the Doctor ends the Time War.

I'm looking forward to it, but I must admit I've not been a massive fan of either David Tennant or Matt Smith's Doctors (though I have grown to like Matt Smith a bit more).

Trying to avoid spoilers, but...

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
War Doctor?

Too many questions! :)

I'm also looking forward to the BBC Drama about the start of Doctor Who, 'An Adventure in Space and Time' - unfortunately I'm not sure when that's going to be broadcast overseas.

And I should say I'm massively looking forward to Peter Capaldi as The Doctor, I've loved his work since seeing him as King Charles in The Devil's Whore, and of course as Malcolm Tucker in The Thick of It.

I can't say I've disliked any of the new Doctors, myself. I do have the controversial opinion of liking Tennant the least, though, if I'm forced to rank them - he just felt too human for my liking. I've seen Capaldi in very little - really only Whoniverse roles - but I've liked him every time. I'm pretty excited to see what he'll do with the role, even if it means Smith is moving on.

I'm excited for the docudrama as well! I think the casting is sublime - though I am a little uncertain on the writing. Mark Gatiss has penned some of the worst Doctor Who stories since the revival, but his work on Sherlock has absolutely blown my away at every turn. But I'm looking forward to it all the same.

I have to say, while I've never watch McGann's previous appearance as the Doctor I quite liked him in this.

McGann definitely suffered from lousy writing in '96, but I've always thought he did very well with what he was given. I was thrilled to see him, especially on the back of his vehement denial that he was involved in the anniversary in any way. Always hoped he was lying, and I'm glad he was.

Can't wait for the 50th! We're getting it on BBC America in the US at the same time it's airing in the UK. It's kind of funny because it's airing in the middle of the day here. lol

I liked Tennant and Smith and am looking forward to Capaldi. Bob Happy Lion. roar.

It's being simulcast around the world, and will be the second largest international simulcast in history behind the FIFA World Cup.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing the new episode. I'll be honest, I wasn't too crazy about McGann as the Doctor. But he did quite well in that special.

War Doctor? I can't wait to see how the Doctor ends the Time War.

If the trailers are any indication it looks as if he won't be entirely alone in doing so - we see Ten and Eleven interacting with what some are guessing is "the Moment" along with War; and we hear Rose talking about it as well.

Speaking of which, does anyone else just not buy that Billie Piper is actually playing Rose Tyler as we've known her? She looks more like a companion to Hurt's incarnation than to Tennant's. At least to me.

One of the best things I have ever seen on TV for a long time. I felt like a child again, I was ecstatic. Very clever, very well written, brilliant references and homages and a FANTASTIC sneak peek into Capaldi's incarnation. The cheeky little "I don't wanna go" from Tennant before making his exit brought a tear to my eye and it was just...wow.

Well done, BBC.

I was going to watch it but the TV here started glitching out about five minutes in so I was unable. (Instead, I ended up watching Now You See Me which was terrible but not unenjoyable) Hopefully the BBC America will be rerunning it over Thanksgiving Break and I'll be able to catch it then.

If you can't catch it on Thanksgiving then I'm sure you could find it online somewhere. I can help with that if need be.

All in all, I found the episode equal parts enjoyable and contrived. I don't know if there are scenes on the cutting room floor that would help, or if it was just the writing, but David Tennant's appearance felt incredibly forced and wholly unnecessary. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Tennant and his Doctor definitely has his bright spots. On the whole though, I felt he simply served to introduce a non-threat alien menace that in turn only served to provide context for a future plot point. The entire Zygon "threat" was a joke - though I will say that it's better to have introduced a non-threat through something like the Zygons rather than shoehorning the Daleks or the Master in there.

Rnd recreating the "goes ding when there's stuff" scene, while mildly amusing, rubbed me the wrong way. Most of the 1852 stuff did. I also could have done without Osgood, whose only purpose was to wear the Fourth Doctor's scarf and give fans something to notice in the trailers and previews. She served literally no other purpose, and was entirely unnecessary.

All that being said, Tom Baker's cameo was absolutely brilliant, and I'll never say no to references to and/or pictures of the Brigadier. Just wouldn't have been the 50th without him in there somehow. And the string of clips from Classic Doctors, all helping to save Gallifrey, was fantastic.

Archived