Home

How to argue about Star Wars movies the right way!

Darth Groovy

Yeah, which is why they chose a destination that was close enough and had a fairly easy enough set of jump coordinates that they could probably spend a month to calculate those set of jump coordinates plot a jump there that would cut the time down to a couple of months instead of it taking many, many years to get there.

The function of the hyperspace navigation computers is to make the jump calculations precisely but also to cut down the time it takes to do them. If they ran the calculations to Bespin through one of the Falcon's other computers, they'd most likely be able to get calculations after a period of time that are accurate enough to use.

Also, you have to take your quote into context. The Falcon was under fire from Star Destroyers and Han was telling Luke that it takes time for the jump coordinates to be calculated, even for the Falcon's superior hyperspace navigation computer. You also have to take into account that space is HUGE and empty. The likelihood of actually hitting anything or coming close enough to a dangerous event is pretty slim. Actually, now that I think about it, maybe it was Han making an excuse for the Falcon since its jump computer is actually really strange and takes longer than usual to plot the coordinates than other computers but when it does, is able to plot the most efficient course out of any ship, hence the Kessel run brag.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am going by visual chronology, and dialogue, because you see Palpatine talking to his subordinate telling him to ready the ship to leave immediately, yet the fight with Obi Wan had just ended with Anakin's legs being amputated.

Not true. He said that after defeating Yoda while Obi-Wan and Anakin were still in the middle of their fight.

By explaining why some people can use the Force and some can't? I mean they already established that in the Star Wars universe... all they did was given a genetic name to why.

It's Leia. ;) And I'll let Yoda answer this one:

zq9e.jpg

w76c.jpg

k96k.jpg

Not true. People misunderstand that one like how some people misunderstood that the Force is genetic and that it was established in the OT.

So, let's revisit the scene you're talking about in ESB:

sjok.jpg

feyb.jpg

So, now it is established that if Obi-Wan didn't know, he knows now. Then we go to ROTJ when Obi-Wan reveals to Luke about Leia:

9jlg.jpg

94j8.jpg

qvr5.jpg

So, he knows about Leia, yet still calls Luke the only hope. Is it possible in Obi-Wan's opinion that he didn't believe in Leia, but Yoda did? Jedi can disagree you know. ;)

ilv4.jpg

2cvl.jpg

smbl.jpg

kej0.jpg

When he first met Anakin on Padme's starship right after Qui-Gon fought Darth Maul, Anakin had already won a pod race. And "accomplished" isn't a word used to describe Anakin's piloting as Obi-Wan said (though winning a pod race qualifies that remark); he called him a GREAT pilot.

Just because Obi-Wan didn't say anything, doesn't mean he didn't recognize them.

Since you HAD to make a big stink about it, I was just going to let it go...

Leia did not mention visions. She said "very young" not that she never even remembered meeting her. Very young could be as late as 6, as I KNOW I was at 4 corners when I was a kid of 6, I just don't remember it.

Obiwan said he was a great pilot. And claiming that pod racing is piloting... Whatever, We'll have to agree to disagree...

As for the Obi and Yoda argument theory. He didn't say anything about not believing in her as another. And this seemed that Obi was blissfully unaware of the second child. We've had a great deal of time between ESB and ROTJ, so they may have discussed and Yoda may have told Ben, so that's how he's able to explain, but all that is speculation. I guess we'll have to wait for the ultimate superduper special edition to rewrite that one.

Since you HAD to make a big stink about it, I was just going to let it go...

Leia did not mention visions. She said "very young" not that she never even remembered meeting her. Very young could be as late as 6, as I KNOW I was at 4 corners when I was a kid of 6, I just don't remember it.

Babies are very young you know. ;) And sometimes people remember things at very young ages. And again like Yoda said "Though the Force..." You're making it a black & white issue and life doesn't work that way.

Obiwan said he was a great pilot. And claiming that pod racing is piloting... Whatever, We'll have to agree to disagree...

Are you saying that Anakin wasn't a great pilot? Because everything he did in TPM points that he was. Pod racing is piloting. If you saw the speeds they were going and the things they had to avoid, that's quite the accomplishment.

It just seems like to you piloting is only things that fly way above the ground and that isn't always the case though pods in Star Wars do float in the air.

As for the Obi and Yoda argument theory. He didn't say anything about not believing in her as another. And this seemed that Obi was blissfully unaware of the second child. We've had a great deal of time between ESB and ROTJ, so they may have discussed and Yoda may have told Ben, so that's how he's able to explain, but all that is speculation. I guess we'll have to wait for the ultimate superduper special edition to rewrite that one.

But you're overlooking what I pointed out before. Obi-Wan CLEARLY points out that Luke is the only hope in ROTJ, well after he and Yoda had that conversation of who the other is. So why would Obi-Wan at that point call Luke the only hope when it was clear at that point of the movie that he knew Leia's existence if it wasn't a difference of an opinion?

In order for you to counter this argument, you have to explain to me why Obi-Wan still called Luke the only hope despite clearly knowing of Leia's existence and how it's still possible originally it was intended that he didn't know of Leia.

And you should listen to George Lucas' commentary in the ESB DVD. He said the reason for that dialogue between Obi-Wan and Yoda was intended to make Luke look possibly expendable so you weren't sure if he was going to make it. So there was no intent of Obi-Wan not knowing. And besides, how would Obi-Wan get the assignment of watching over Luke if he wasn't there at his birth and if he was there, how or why would they (whoever you think it was originally intended) would hide Leia's existence if Obi-Wan can't be trusted and if he can't be trusted, then he has no business watching over Luke.

• 3 weeks later...

What's great about the prequels:

1.The Darth Maul lightsaber scenes.

2. Yoda lightsaber scenes

3. Palpatine maneuvering the Senate and manipulating Anakin

What sucks about the prequels:

1-9,052: Jar-jar

9,053: Hayden's (lack of) acting ability

9,054. Using a kid for Anakin in TPM and making him unbelievably goody-two-shoes.

9,055: the lack of anesthesia while Padme gives birth. Ships can go to hyperspace but they haven't figured out how to do a darn epidural? Sheesh.

9,056: Padme dying from a 'lack of will to live'. She just had 2 babies, and she couldn't bring herself to live for the 2 infants she bore for the last 9-ish months (or whatever is the gestation length for Naboo women). She could have been too burned or suffered too much heat stroke or had some kind of Force sickness from the Emperor (secretly behind Anakin's back), but no, we had to have this stupid lame-arse excuse.

The midichlorians didn't bother me--I thought of them more like mitochondria than anything else. Mitochondria power our cells, midichlorians power the Force. The Force is still mystical enough to work for me even with the midichlorian explanation and/or excuse.

9,053: Hayden's (lack of) acting ability

9,054. Using a kid for Anakin in TPM and making him unbelievably goody-two-shoes.

I don't know if these two are fair. If you've seen any of Hayden's other movies, most notably "Shattered Glass," you'll see that he's actually a very talented actor, and I see why George chose him. Obviously there were cringe-worthy moments from him (most likely a result of directing rather than acting), but I think that his acting worked well for who he was supposed to be.

What's wrong with having Anakin being a kid with a sense of wanting to do what's right? In my opinion, I feel like that sets it up perfectly for Episodes II/III where he finds himself in situations where it's no longer black and white/right or wrong scenarios. Anakin really wants to do what's right to help people, but he obviously appeared vulnerable when trying to figure out exactly how to do that as the story progressed. People always seemed to have a problem with the idea that that's how George "started" the story with Anakin Skywalker - I'm not sure how else he could've done it more effectively.

Anakin as a character was done very strangely, I think a combination of George Lucas telling him how to perform his line's (watch the behind the scenes videos, George is a very shy man, never mind he's not an actor) and there is a definite sense that Hayden tried to copy James Earl Jones's cadence, that of a middle aged, baritone, African-American Broadway actor, with a Transatlantic accent, and of course the love scenes were very badly written in my opinion... I don't mind personally because I've grown to love everything about the Prequels over the years, but it's easy to see why Hayden could be picked apart.

Archived