Home

What do you want to see in Episode VIII

Lord B@nE

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to say. I hope they don't copy the EU. The trouble with the EU is that it never quite hit the mark... either they tried to just copy the movies (and always in a lamer way) or they strayed so far from the movies that they didn't really have that "feel" of Star Wars.

We need likable heroes, cool but hate-able villians, adventure, mysticism, humor... and a few references to other stuff in the canon is cool but don't go out of your way to get it wrong (as the Prequels seemed to do).

The last thing Star Wars needs is the equivalent of a Vince Russo or a Brannon Braga. Don't swerve us just to swerve us, and throw in crap to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I hope the filmmakers think long and hard about who their audience is. Are they going for fans, non-fans, or what? You can't be all things for all people in a movie franchise as established as this.

If you just want to make generic sci fi or something else, make that, not Star Wars.

I want to be surprised. There are really no stories that have need to be told in this set. If they want to make them true sequels I guess it would be what happens after Return of the Jedi but there are lots of stories they could tell. It doesn't have to be about Han and Leia's kids, Luke starting a jedi academy and the New Republic mopping up the Imperials, fighting aliens and whatnot. But even that could be done in a different way than say, Timothy Zahn and Kevin J. Anderson (and so many others) told.

What they absolutely should not do is just rehash the story/characters of the previous films with some whizz-bang window dressing. If you're going to do that, do a remake, don't call it a "sequel trilogy."

I hope they don't copy the EU. The trouble with the EU is that it never quite hit the mark... either they tried to just copy the movies (and always in a lamer way) or they strayed so far from the movies that they didn't really have that "feel" of Star Wars.

And sometimes both. But I agree, that's how I see it as well.

• 1 month later...
The trouble with the EU is that it never quite hit the mark... either they tried to just copy the movies (and always in a lamer way) or they strayed so far from the movies that they didn't really have that "feel" of Star Wars.

See, I think that the EU has works that have the "feel" of Star Wars more than the Prequels do. Though there are obviously those works that match your description as well.

I suppose it's subjective, because we may like different things from the movies.

I think the best of the EU were the video games, because they were still geared towards being fun and using the EU for inspiration, rather than being hemmed in by it (as the various EU tends to get as it grows in size).

It's interesting how the EU (C or T-Canon) is managed by itself but the G-canon is not.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I think it'll be about the kids of Luke and Leia, the third generation of Skywalkers, dealing with the legacy of Anakin and Darth Vader. To put it in broad strokes.
I think it will focus on Jacen & Jaina Solo coming to the stage in their lives that will shape their futures set in the new jedi order era Chewbacca will die in this one who knows

What I would dearly like to see is a more gritty tone to the movies. I'm sure Disney wants to appeal to the kiddies, but surely there's a middle ground between the prequels and, say, Apocalypse Now? Just something to acknowledge that some places are not all shiny and happy. Perhaps what I'm saying is that the sequels should be less cartoony.

Better dialogue! The prequels were seriously hampered by wooden dialogue (among myriad other things). I do have some faith in Michael Arndt, given that he wrote Toy Story 3 that was very well-received. Plus let's be honest, virtually anyone will be better than Lucas was.

I think there will be more of a dark feel to the next movie than all shiny & happy I read Luke's life at this point takes a downward spiral we all know how that went I know it is meant to a have a young fan feel to it but it has to point the events out to every age level I swear if they made every star wars character all happy & roses these next three movies would not have been in production I just hope Disney doesn't destroy it

I think the franchise is in good hands... Disney has a successful model in the Marvel franchise to springboard from, and from what I've heard, just about everyone hired has a reverence for the saga that should yield positive results. The only one I'm worried about so far is Gary Whitta, given his extreme disdain (and subsequent cover-up) of the prequels.

Archived