Home

The One Year Thread 2014: Main Street Electrical Parade Through The Dark Side

edlib

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You wanna pay for real estate in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Boston? When Berklee bought in to these locations, it was totally run down, and frankly, a bit scary around here. Cheap, cheap, cheap!

These days, property in this area can be thousands, perhaps millions per square foot. The area is totally gentrified, and super desirable.

We did just build a new tower of dorms. http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2014/02/28/boston-mayor-marty-walsh-dedicates-new-berklee-back-bay-dorm/

Our block is supposed to be renovated and upgraded... eventually. (AKA - not before I retire...)

True. There's talk about tearing down the entire block we are on, and building another tower on that plot, bigger than the one they just finished, with a couple of all new performance halls.

I've mixed feelings about all that. First, more space would be great... but knowing the folks I work for, it wouldn't mean "more room to breathe on the insane shows we already do"... it would mean "more room to fill with even bigger shows!"

Plus: I'd miss this place. I've spent the majority of my waking hours inside these halls ever since I was 23... 20 years ago.

Then there IS the question about what exactly my job would be for the 3-5+ years it would take to empty this place out, raze it to the ground, and build a whole new place on the location...

It's difficult to be a stage manager without a stage to manage. The initial idea was that we would have to rent various theaters and venues all over the area to put on our shows.

That sounds like all kinds of no fun at all...

Then there IS the question about what exactly my job would be for the 3-5+ years it would take to empty this place out, raze it to the ground, and build a whole new place on the location...

I'm telling you, this would be your chance for a hiatus while we start a band, dominate the charts, go on tour, make millions of dollars, and get tons of women throwing themselves at us. Remember, I've been playing bass for like a week now -- we can't lose.

But seriously, things are crap. But hey, I may have no wife or children, but at least I still have drinking and gambling. Ah, sweet, sweet booze and losing all of my money...

I DID recently re-string one of my guitars, sooo... I'm definitely ready for the big times!

Actually my job does sometimes lead to opportunities that very few other careers ever will... for example:

http://www.berklee.edu/events/eugene-mirman-comedy-festival-presents-eugene-mirman-comedy-startalk-live-w-bill-nye-science

Yeah... that's right. I'll be hanging all day with Bill Nye, the Science Guy.

So... Suck it, everyone who isn't me!

:joy:

Seriously though... that will be cool.

So, I awoke this morning to my PC running something called "Driver updater".

So, ****, crapware. Ok, that explains the slowness I've experienced over the past month or so. Whatever, I do this **** for a living. Time to die mother ****er!

.... it's not in add remove programs... try Revo... nope. Try to hunt the app in app data... nope. What the ****!??!? Check startups: all normal, nothing out of the ordinary.

....... I... I don't know where the hell this thing was hiding.... but it's gone. Wiped the drive, reinstalled windows.

Now i'm sitting here waiting for my games and windows updates to finish...... Great way to spend the last day of vacation.

*sigh*

Bummer.

I've had good luck getting those hidden malware things with Malwarebytes... not that it would do you much good now.

My mom ordered a new laptop since her's has been acting weird, lots of crashes, slowdowns, reboots... she's downloaded all kinds of crapware over the years, so I'm going to wipe it and start again when it falls into my hands. It should have a Win7 restore partition... but if it doesn't, I'll make it a Ubuntu machine. I just need to get my hands on a high-quality 7.1 external soundcard to go with the speaker system upstairs that's been sitting quiet for years since my old spare PC crashed and stopped booting up... And I was too lazy to try to fix it.

Yeah, I ran MWB full scan before I went to bed, because I figured MWB by now has a definition to snuff this thing out. Sadly, it even turned up nothing. I also ran ADWcleaner, and it didn't find anything either.

So needless to say, after a month of hunting this performance sucker down and failing, the nuclear option was the only thing left in my bag of tricks.

Yeah, my guess is that my mom's problems are from something similar. I've run full AVG, MWB, AdAware, Spybot, Crap Cleaner, etc... scans in safe mode, and it still hasn't fixed anything. But she downloaded a bunch of those things that come up in banner ads to "Fix your computer performance!"

It's a mess.

I'm hoping she keeps her new one clean... but I'm preparing for the worst.

Yeah, I couldn't nail it down.

All you need to do it tell you mom these simple rules:

If it sounds to good to be true, don't click it.

If it flashes with Neon colours, don't click it.

If it says it can do something your son can do, don't click it.

If it says it can make you lots of money, don't click it.

Simple!

Windows updates are now all done, reinstalling all my games at this point.

There was a lot of clutter on the HDD as well, so that's all cleared out as well.

I have my browser running flash blocker and ad blocker. Now i got sites complaining about all the ad revenue they are missing out on. I like to tell them I'd miss all the bandwidth those stupid flash ads suck away from my connection

I also run Tune-up utlities which does a great job of clearing my memory registry where most of the slow down problems occur

Yeah, I couldn't nail it down.

All you need to do it tell you mom these simple rules:

If it sounds to good to be true, don't click it.

If it flashes with Neon colours, don't click it.

If it says it can do something your son can do, don't click it.

If it says it can make you lots of money, don't click it.

Simple!

I've given that speech... a LOT of times. And have had to reset her browser settings more times than I can recall. And have had to cancel her credit cards more times than I can recall.

She's 84, dude... even when she knows better, mistakes happen.

That was unexpected.

Well... hi there. Welcome back. Have a seat. It's been a while.

Feel free to catch up with our various rantings and such for the last half decade or so...

That could take a bit. I'll wait. ;)

:joy:

Actually, I have 4 METAL!!! groups to go mix right now. I guess I haven't been sufficiently pummeled lately, and my face is a bit too unmelted. :urpdude:

Yeah, since the last time he posted (2008-ish, I believe...) we've had a national election, I turned 40, I got a girlfriend (and kids), I lost said girlfriend (and kids), and I flew a plane.

I'm sure there was more... but those are the highlights worth noting.

:dozey:

(It's not like it wasn't all documented in our year long, continuous agony columns, anyway...)

Archived