Home

The One Year Thread 2014: Main Street Electrical Parade Through The Dark Side

edlib

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

saw Godzilla again with my navy bro, IMAX 3d. only way to see it honestly, not sure why my other bud didn't insist on imax...

now i'm like hmm what game should i play i'm going through Mass Effect...lovin it. great story and gameplay, but I also have a desire to play some Ghost Recon Future Soldier or Titanfall or Assassin's Creed! gah!!! SO MANY CHOICES!!!

was outside at my friends all day....cookout and got a sunburn. p is still upset at me for not having feelings for her, etc. oh well what can i say, why go down that path when i don't see anything but potential misery.

Celebrating having Memorial Day off by watching Starship Troopers: Invasion. I was a fan of the first ST movie, based on Heinlein's novel, but the two subsequent movies were not so good. What I remember of ST2 and 3:

ST2 Hero of the Federation. Always have your kabar on hand.

ST3 Marauder. Battle mechs are a really good idea when fighting giant insects.

The fourth movie is actually a good flick for those of us addicted to *space marine* type movies. A good running battle with starships in space, with a lot of technical space battle equipment thrown in. Explosions. Honor and sacrifice, etc. The only problem I have is the same one I have with all movies: they freaking sweep each other with their weapons all the time (unintentionally point their guns at one another when not firing) which is something a real soldier WILL NOT do.

The movie is all CGI, which puts off some. The humans don't look real, yet, I'm afraid. I just think of it as anime, and then it rocks. :max:

I'm having a lazy day. I can't seem to get motivated to do much. The weather isn't anywhere as nice as yesterday, (hot, sticky humid, and overcast with threats of showers,) and there's no real pressing projects I need to get done immediately.

So maybe I'll just chill and read and watch movies today. Finish a couple more quests in Skyrim.

Zoom, without the suits there is no such thing as Starship troopers. Instead you got a Aliens movie at a larger scale. There was a Japanese animated version that was WAY better.

Tho it is easier to just ignore all the "Morality" crap in the book.

I love "power suit" sci-fi. Give me a guy with a bunch of military issued tech and gadgets going to war and I am in heaven

btw, I spent 19 hours of memorial day weekend WORKING, or heading to and from work. Only thing i really did was on Saturday my wife and I went to an amusement park with Go-carts, minigolf and batting cages. Then went down to Riverside park and relaxed.

i don't miss winter at all. it can be summer forever!!!! went to dorney park/wild water kingdom yesterday with my friends (all of us vets and 1 i deployed with) had so much fun. went on 1 ride that was just crazy lol the screamin swings, kinda got peer pressured to go on and i almost threw up lol. got my navy buddy to go on front row seat of the talon, he was funny as hell.

misplaced my iphone charger so i gotta go down to the mall and get another one, need to get a haircut too while i'm down there..

the girl i was dating is all missing me and ****. i dont think i should go back to seeing her again, i was getting stressed out for no reason when i was with her, i just feel like i gotta impress my parents when i'm with a girl or have that feeling of being judged by people, etc. i'm better off single even though it gets lonely as ****. idk

I love "power suit" sci-fi. Give me a guy with a bunch of military issued tech and gadgets going to war and I am in heaven.

I think of Halo as the ultimate in power suit sci-fi. ;) The games are the heart of Halo, though, so it's more of the first person type of story. (Note: I'm not talking about the online buddy combat that most people think of as Halo, but the actual campaign.) The first Halo movie was just a collection of anime shorts, although a couple of them were pretty good. The second Halo movie, Forward unto Dawn, was only a C+ flick in my opinion. Perhaps some day they will make a decent Halo movie.

For good examples of what I call 'space marines' movies...

Aliens

Starship Troopers

Battle: Los Angeles

Battleship

District 9

Independence Day

Matrix (particularly the third movie)

Transformers

War of the Worlds

I could probably think of more, but a theme emerges. They don't necessarily have marines in them, but present the idea of modern warriors and familiar weaponry going against unknown or alien technologies. It's the sort of thing vets eat up, because we see ourselves in the story...

Ugh... Things keep cropping up to chew away the modest savings I've built up.

Took my car in to see about the grinding noise when turning right that started the other day, plus I needed an oil change.

I needed brake pads and rotors, and an alignment. Gah. This is after putting a new battery in mom's car over the weekend... which was a lot more than I expected from AAA...

It's been an expensive month. Plane tix. Hotel rooms. Car repairs... It never ends

I hope June is kinder to me.

Ok... I'm officially done with May 2014. :mad:

Driving to work today the bottom fell out... Literally. A plastic panel underneath the front of my car suddenly fell mostly off, and I had to drag it along until I could get a spot to pull over.

Seeing as I'm pretty certain it's something that would have had to be removed to do all the work I had done yesterday, I'm pretty sure it isn't a coincidence..

I'm having it towed back to the same shop I was at yesterday to have a talk with them.

But it seems the curse over my head this month isn't through with me yet...

So much for building up my days off again...

:rolleyes:

ed: that ****ing blows. **** i might have to go have a drink for you lol...

i got a contacts exam today, no changes in my prescription! pretty damn happy about that especially considering i've been using a 6 month pair of contacts for almost 2 years now. :) lmao and it literally would've lasted me 2 years if i hadn't given a pair to my ex. lmao

Archived