Home

The One Year Thread 2014: Main Street Electrical Parade Through The Dark Side

edlib

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a very boring 4th. I did nothing of note.

It was perfect, in other words.

I needed a whole day of nothing.

Of course, having the outside edge of a hurricane out the door didn't hurt at keeping me home either...

Haven't started sorting through this room full of guitars yet. Not quite ready for that...

Kinda... yes and no. I'm not at all happy about the circumstances that brought them here. And I really don't have space for everything, so I can't keep most of them. But I want to do good with these, to honor my dad's legacy... get them into the hands of the next generation of great jazz players who might not be able to afford a fantastic instrument, but who play their asses off. I don't think I can just crassly auction them all off to the highest bidder just to make a profit... but then there's always my dad's continuing care and bills to contend with.

So it's confusing as to what to do...

Dad does have a pretty good little nest egg of his own in the bank, and that shouldn't be depleted immediately.

I celebrated the 4th on the 3rd this year. Went down to Plymouth for the big celebrations they have there after work that afternoon. Caught up with my beekeeping lady friend. There's a selfie we took together over on FB... We were at the bonfire on the beach.

We stopped in to visit a friend of hers in the neighborhood who is a baker... and a big time stoner. Without thinking about it I took a chocolate she offered us. After eating it I thought... "Oh, waitaminnit..." I haven't been high since 1999... it hit me hard. It was an interesting drive back home that night.

Oh, and something else I learned yesterday... If you have really elderly instruments, like Gibsons and Martins from the 20's and 30's, that you dragged out from under your father's trailer in Florida in nasty, moldy conditions, and get them to your house, and they still smell of mildew...

It's not a great idea to spray them down with Lysol... old lacquer finishes really don't get along with it. Now I have several ancient instruments that may no longer be mildewed... but have giant white streaks all over them.

Yes... I am a moron.

water park was fun today, hung out with my friends all day, played pool at the bar managed not to drink...had 1 of those twisted iced teas at my friends place, it made me feel weird, so at least that tells me my medication is working. it's nice coming home and not feeling wasted...think i'll stay on this stuff for a while or at least til i get a car and a job. trying to be positive, because my bank account is starting to look low.

applying for jobs today...retail here we go again.

Applied at..

Target

Lowes

Home Depot

Staples

I really want the job at either Staples or Target...Staples would be easier though since i wouldn't have to rely too much on the bus to get there.

Rogue15, we need a dishwasher, and maybe a cook.

:max: The diner I work at is HOPPING. Now is when we either do good and build a successful business or f*ck up everyone's food and ensure that they don't come back. Unfortunately, one of the cooks is a douchebag who seems to be bent on doing the second thing.

When I was looking for work, I applied to a lot of places online and dropped my resume off in person at only one...and it turned out to be the one that hired me.

Yeah, the best you can hope for in American or European is New Old Stock... and those will be expensive, and by this point you are looking at 3rd and 4th string pickovers.

Groove Tubes does a pretty good job of sorting through the old and current stocks, and only selling the decent ones.

But yeah, only 2 tube factories left, and demand is drying up, and environmental concerns will eventually put those under too.

Get ready for the age of all-digital modelling.

no calls back yet about any of the places i applied at. my computer has a virus, i'm currently in safe mode with networking available trying to fix it. letting malwarebytes go to work, then it'll be spybot and avg

Yeah, the best you can hope for in American or European is New Old Stock... and those will be expensive, and by this point you are looking at 3rd and 4th string pickovers.

Groove Tubes does a pretty good job of sorting through the old and current stocks, and only selling the decent ones.

I wound up getting them from watfordvalves.com - they have their own range called Harma, which seem to be rebranded versions of other things, carefully selected and tested. That seems to be the best you can do now.

But yeah, only 2 tube factories left, and demand is drying up, and environmental concerns will eventually put those under too.

Get ready for the age of all-digital modelling.

:mad:

It's weird - real analog synths seem to be having something of a revival. Moog has the Minimoog Voyager, which is a beauty, Dave Smith is making some nice stuff, and Tom Oberheim is selling new versions of the SEM, Two Voice, and others. I probably mentioned it before, but Korg is supposedly releasing a faithful recreation of the ARP Odyssey soon. The thing is, this probably doesn't make much difference in a recording. There is some really nice virtual analog stuff out there, hardware and software both. But when it comes to programming and PLAYING it, nothing comes close to the real thing. It's the same thing with guitars. There are some nice digital modelling amps out there, and I have no doubt I could be fooled on a recording easily. And I'm glad they exist for the convenience they afford. But it just doesn't compare to playing the real thing.

Yeah, I'm planning on keeping the Fender Vibroverb that came in my dad's stuff... but it will need to be cleaned up and re-tubed. I'll be going through the same struggle. Last time I re-tubed an old amp, some of the tubes I needed simply weren't available, and one of my old amps now has a solid-state rectifier circuit.

I met the areas Martin-authorized repair tech today at work. Gonna get in touch with him about restoring this old archtop, and maybe having a look at the D35 with the cracked top that goes back to the 60's or 70's.

I've been soaking these things in furniture polish all day for the last 3 or 4, and the white stains from the Lysol damage has all but vanished. Chewed up 4 cans of polish though... but if the finish on these instruments can be saved, it will be worth it.

I got mad at my wife she kept using internet exploder, and not Chrome/firefox/safari etc. she kept complaining that her computer was slow. Finally after a visit to the shop she decided to switch.

one problem I do have my wife is that she is very passive agressive

and the problem still persists. out of ideas. ieplorer.exe runs 3 instances on processes in task manager, i close them out but they return...1 of them takes up roughly 60-100% CPU which causes a huge slowdown to where i can't do a damn thing. AVG is reporting a .dll file is infected but won't remove it yet keeps popping up so i have to disable that...i dont know what else to do, i ran malwarebytes and it found a bunch of infected files and supposedly quarantined them and spybot supposedly did the same thing, but i'm not seeing a difference..

So.... I've decided to start knocking some **** off the ol' bucket list.

Nothing too fancy or grand, because most of those involve passports and a ton of money that I don't have. Air fare is expensive, especially across the Atlantic or the Pacific.

Number 5 on the bucket list is "Learn to play the Violin so people don't run in fear of the hideous noise."

... Anyone have an violin they no longer use?

Archived