Home

The One Year Thread 2014: Main Street Electrical Parade Through The Dark Side

edlib

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

decided to scrap my idea of going to martial arts and crossfit and save money and just go to planet fitness, it's alot closer. probably not going to get into crossfit ever, looked at some videos and yeah...i'd end up in a brace.

Didn't do very well in the NAT yesterday, but did meet one of my bowling forum buddies in person for the first time. Took my first "selfie" with him (a bad one) and it's on FB.
Didja do a "duckface"?

:joy:

Actually, I guess duckface is passe... It's all about the "Sparrowface" these days by those in the know.

What the hell is wrong with just a smile?!?? :confused:

I try not to have my picture taken whenever possible, but I tend to "Glower" or "Death Stare" when it happens. :dozey:

probably not going to be on the forums for a while...mtfbwya
That'll put a dent in our year-end post count. :dozey:

I guess we'll all have to step it up a bit to pick up the slack.

I hope it's for positive reasons, like hot lady lovin'... not, like, jail time or anything. (Always my #1 suspicion when someone suddenly goes from posting tons to disappearing for a couple of years... then returns with no real explanation. Then vanishes again. For example... a certain rabbit that frequented these parts, many, many moons ago...)

I have recently acquired a bass guitar and have been messing around trying to get a feel for playing it. I have also been checking out some bass players, seeing how they do things. Tom "T-Bone" Wolk's playing really stood out to me - tasteful, interesting, but always in service to the music. He played with Hall and Oates, Billy Joel, Carly Simon, and other big names. Played guitar and other stuff, too. Sadly, he died a few years ago. I knew of him before, but I've really come to appreciate his skills over the last couple of weeks.

I have a red 70's P-Bass. I never touch it though, except in those rare, rare occasions when I want to record something, and want a bass line. I actually have a couple of bass amps too, a Peavey and an old Ampeg. I'm thinking about giving the Peavey away to a keyboard player I know who needs a little, loud amp for a practice space. I never turn it on anymore...

I've played bass on stage and on record though... I've been told I have a pretty good groove, but I think I play it too much like I'm playing guitar, way too busy.

I've always wanted a 5-string Jazz Bass though... I just don't really have a reason to own one. It's too hard to justify the cost to myself for the amount it's likely to ever get used.

Yeah, mine is an American Standard Precision. I've just been plugging it into the DI on an API 312 preamp. Sounds good. I really didn't want to have to try to fit a bass amp in here. Hard to record, too, since my damn computer makes so much noise. At least now I can record keyboards and bass perfectly. Guitars and vocals, though...I'm going to have to figure out a way to make this room sound less crappy and reduce the machine noise.

That'll put a dent in our year-end post count. :dozey:

I guess we'll all have to step it up a bit to pick up the slack.

I hope it's for positive reasons, like hot lady lovin'... not, like, jail time or anything. (Always my #1 suspicion when someone suddenly goes from posting tons to disappearing for a couple of years... then returns with no real explanation. Then vanishes again. For example... a certain rabbit that frequented these parts, many, many moons ago...)

no i'm just taking a break for a week or so.

I'm going to stop calling the period of time that the college is in session from January to the May Commencement "the Spring Semester" and start instead referring to it as "The Trail Of Tears" or "The Long Enforced Death March." :dozey:

Work is normally excessively grueling this time of year... but the last couple of weeks have been even more torturous and brutal than normal.

Oh... and my ex-gf just decided to try to get in touch with me... again. The week just keeps getting better...

*Sigh...* :rolleyes:

And the woman from the Cape I was thinking about asking out, suddenly became single again. Last week I think... though I kinda stopped paying too close attention after she hooked back up with her ex, so it might have been longer than that. I don't think I'll do anything about it, though... having her cancel plans with me and not being upfront about the reasons left a sour taste in my mouth that will take a long time to wash away.

If she made a first move I might be willing to think about going down that path again... but I won't be the first one to make an approach.

Besides... this is crazy time at work... I really don't have time to try to start a new romance right now. Not one that has any real hope of being successful.

Who knows? Maybe...

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

It does seem a bit unfair that the person who broke it off continues to torture the breakee. It might be different if the roles were reversed, and she was seeing if there was a possibility that I might take her back...

But now that I have spent the better part of the last 2 years processing these events and coming to terms with it all and finally feeling like I'm at a point where I can truly consider moving on with life again, to have to cope with her re-appearing every couple of months to remind me of what I have just got over dealing with does seem a form of punishment, a new kind of Hell.

I'm hoping this event was just a one-time drunk-Facebooking.

Ugh... Worked sucked yesterday. Too many musicians for our tiny stage. I have a 72-channel mixing board to work with. Last night, it wasn't enough. Filled it up. I had to take some mics away to plug in ones I was assured were more important, then start refusing additional requests. Stupid insanity.

Oh... and we started setting up at 1 for a 3 soundcheck... with no student crew available. And most of the band was there before we started.

But... according to many of the folks sponsoring the event, it was a HUGE HUGE success... so the fact that we are likely to see many more shows just like it if not more ambitious is now a given.

****. :rolleyes:

YOu would think 72 channels would be enough. Tho with my limited knowledge couldn't you have combine the inputs from two mics into one? since that would seem to be the issue.

Heading out to Bemidji, MN for a curling bonspiel. Going to be cold up there, but should have no problem staying warm

You can do that, but then you lose all individual control over individual channels. So if you have two violins on a single line like that and one is louder than the other, and brighter, there's no way you can fix one without altering the other. And if one us playing a background part while the other has a solo, there's no way to separate them... If you turn one up, the other gets louder.

It's not ideal, but it's something I have done.

The biggest problem yesterday was that the last 10 channels I added were unexpected, and after soundcheck started... not anything I saw on the paperwork we were given, so I had no way of planning for things like that. 2 of the percussion players with the giant set ups and needs (demands, really...) for multiple mics a piece showed up after everything was in place already. I only had 3 mics setup for the stuff I knew about.

And no one ever mentioned the 2 acoustic guitars until the song they were playing on came up in soundcheck, so we had to scramble to plug them in on the fly.

Stuff like that...

It would be... on a stage 3 times bigger than ours. On our tiny stage, it was a cluster****tastrophy. :dozey:

But we pulled it off, and all the reviews were glowing... so it means that next time (and since it didn't train-wreck on stage, there WILL be a next time. probably many of them...) they won't hold back and it will be far more ambitious.

:rolleyes:

Archived