Home

The One Year Thread 2014: Main Street Electrical Parade Through The Dark Side

edlib

Blah day. Not great, but not bad. Got a few things accomplished at work, but it was slow, and I would have preferred the day off.

Oh well... Better than being swamped... which is what I have to look forward to starting next week. Whoo-hoo.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest gun I've fired was the .30 cal. M60, back in my USNR days. Sexy looking, but why anyone would want to shoot one for fun is beyond me. :D My stepdad used to have a .44 magnum single-shot pistol that I fired a few times just to prove I could, but the next day I went to work with my hand all swelled up. So...when he passed away, I saw to it that it went to my nephew, who is crazy enough to like big guns.

Keyan, the .45 versus 9 mm question is one all handgun enthusiasts seem to get trapped in. ;) .45 bullets are bigger, so they do more damage on impact, but there is a trade off in accuracy. Likewise, the 9 mm is more accurate, but if you're shooting at an opponent, it will take more bullets to do him in. Myself, I'm much more interested in shooting at the range than killing zombies, so I have a couple of 9 mm german guns (a Walther P38 and a Luger, which doesn't mean I'm a neo-nazi but rather that I appreciate the engineering of these old sidearms. They do not make them like this anymore.)

But what is there's a burgular, or home invasion of some kind? Well, my Walther takes hollow-point bullets, which do more damage...and I have a Mossberg .20 gauge shotgun, loaded with slugs. :max: Burgulars would be well advised to knock politely and simply ask me for whatever they want.

Ed, I haven't been playing much lately, I'm afraid. Every once in a while I'll hand-crank up the old X-box and put in one of the Battlefront games, or Halo. I also keep my old Gamecube on hand for the Rogue Squadron sequels or F-zero GX when I feel like going really fast. I agree about the wheels thing; I need to go to the future and get up off the ground with fusion jets to do any racing proper.

Cracken: Rogue15 is right. Get one she will like, maybe with Hello Kitty on the stock and an old guitar strap for a sling. Then you say 'Just kidding, babe. This one's for you. Happy birthday!' Then...the very next day you go out and buy the bitchinest war hammer you've ever wanted, knowing you're free and clear. 'So we can go shooting together.' *kiss*

Zoomie: She's not a Hello Kitty type of girl, but I can dig your jive.

Sadly, she's very anti-firearm. I mean, she respect the right to own them, but doesn't want one in the home.

I argue that if we have children, and are girls, the potential for a Korean-Irish girl with red hair and blue eyes is big enough to warrant the Boyfriend Repellent.

My dad has/had a collection of guns... though he hasn't talked about them in a number of years, so I don't know what his current ownership status is.

I know my stepmom, former nun that she is, was never a fan of them around the place.

Never had a gun in my house growing up. Quite atypical, my dad didn't hunt, or fish, or own guns, and was not interested in sports.

I think it had to do with my dad being a veteran of 'Nam. But we really had no need in our bedroom suburbia for protection. We could keep the doors unlocked, even our cars unlocked and never have a problem in the whole neighborhood with crime

enjoy this new gem about guns

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Ed, I haven't been playing much lately, I'm afraid. Every once in a while I'll hand-crank up the old X-box and put in one of the Battlefront games, or Halo. I also keep my old Gamecube on hand for the Rogue Squadron sequels or F-zero GX when I feel like going really fast. I agree about the wheels thing; I need to go to the future and get up off the ground with fusion jets to do any racing proper.
Well... if you ever "upgrade" to a XBox360 or a Playstation 3, (should be easy, I hear they're going pretty cheap these days...) look me up. I definitely don't game as much as I used to... but I'm not dead yet.

I may make a move to one of the next gen units (most likely the XBOne) some time this year... but I'm in no rush. I have 2 working 360s at the moment... the one I bought years ago, and the one my ex left when she decided to flee the country... and a pile of games to still yet master, as well as a long wishlist of ones I have yet to play.

And also a PS3 that hardly ever gets touched except in those rare occasions I have a Blu-Ray I want to watch.

i got 360 and xbox one. :) just bought Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes yesterday, microsoft gave me $20 so it only cost me $10. funny though because i haven't played through the other metal gear solid games besides Metal Gear Solid...i have the metal gear solid hd collection, it frustrated me (im used to splinter cell's controls)..the graphics in Ground Zeroes are really good. I'll have to play through the game later today, after i finish writing another paper.

I fired up Battlefront 2 after posting yesterday, and turned up the stereo. Let the neighbors think there is a space battle going on in here. :D I played the instant action and won Polis Massa, then dominated Tantive IV. Then I'm afraid the Empire got the best of me at Coruscant...and I put up a spirited defense at Mos Eisley (100 plus killed) but wound up being overwhelmed at the spaceport when I had to leave my hidey hole for ammo. Not bad I suppose for an out of practice rebel soldier.

The whole guns in the home thing was made clear to me about a week ago. :dozey: There was a gun battle about a block away from my house, seven shots of two different calibers going different directions, followed by red and blue lights in the night. Not being involved in whatever gang related nonsense it was, my only concern was a villain on the run possibly forcing my window open to escape the cops!

I was indeed happy to have the option of stopping such a happening with small arms fire. :max:

My opinion on this matter changes if one has small children or senile old folks in the home. Then you have to convince me your kid or grandma won't get to it and wind up on the evening news! :eek: For households like these, perhaps no guns at all is the wisest option. I would also strongly suggest that ANYONE who keeps guns in the home get firearms safety training. Being vets, Rogue15 and myself fall into this category, but you don't have to enlist. There are good civilian training classes in your community--just ask Google. And no, going to the range with your grandpa when you were twelve doesn't count.

Cracken, I would get a good old fashioned aluminum baseball bat, spray-paint it day-glo green and write *boyfriend stick* on it with a black sharpie. ;)

So what good space battle sims are out there? My all time favorite game is still X-wing vs. TIE fighter. I tried the Battlestar Galactica that came out on X-box, but wound up throwing my controller at the screen (I swear that game was programmed by fracking cylons.) I think my next console purchase will be an X-box360, being almost free in the pawn shops now. I'm so cheap...

Space sims? At the moment, I really can't think of any. :(

I did play the Assault Horizon games for the 360. Kinda like arcade-y flight sims... mostly real planes (with a few impossible capital ship exceptions...), but with unlimited fuel, ammo, missiles, and able to make turns that would generate g-forces that would turn a real flesh & blood pilot into a pinkish gooey smear on the cockpit glass. Those were fun for a while... but didn't really scratch the itch.

Then there are a few FPS substitutes for JK and such. Halo, Gears of War, etc...

I'm mostly stuck on Forza 4, Gran Tursimo 6, and Skyrim these days... still hoping that a new "MUST HAVE!!!!111oneoneone" Star Wars game finally comes out... but I suspect that by the time a decent one arrives, I'm gonna be kinda over it all.

I've actually been turning my thoughts back to pencil and paper and lead mini and polyhedral dice table-top gaming these days. Takes a bit more social co-ordination to make that happen... but it's far less dependent on changes in technology, and can actually be far more satisfying an experience than beating a mission against AI, or getting taunted by anonymous 11-year-olds when you try to multiplayer play on XBox Live. :dozey:

Star Wars The Old Republic has a pretty decent Space expansion.

So far things today are looking great...

1. Got some portable speakers for my iPhone

2. Good social interaction with the girl that works at FYE (hope she's there next time i go to make a purchase :) )

3. Got Metal Gear Revengeance for $18

4. Got home and received another large check in the mail...i was jokingly telling myself "i wonder how much i got today!" and low and behold, a check from college. :joy:

5. Chatted with one of my best friends that I made on the deployment.

My opinion on this matter changes if one has small children or senile old folks in the home. Then you have to convince me your kid or grandma won't get to it and wind up on the evening news! :eek: For households like these, perhaps no guns at all is the wisest option.
I do worry about that with my dad. He was diagnosed with progressive dementia last year, and there were several incidents where he was in the house not knowing where he was.

His medications have helped... but that level of confusion and loaded deadly weapons at hand does give me pause.

There was a Kickstarter for a space flight sim called Eterium that gave a nod to the old wing commander and X-wing games. I had a couple of opportunities to beta test it but didn't. Really need to buy a new Stick

Should be out soon, as it was successful

I'm waiting for Starcitizen.

Chris Roberts is making it, so I can only assume it's going to be good. It's crowd funded something like 40 million dollars so far, which is astronomical.

Zoom: I will keep that in mind and do that. I'll make sure it's somewhere very visible, so in the end, I get my rifle. ;)

chillin today...apparently the heat got turned off. :\

My plans for the day...going to planet fitness, walking my dog, cleaning dog **** off the porch, playing my sith warrior on The Old Republic...and when my buddy gets out of work, we're going out for mexican food, margaritas, and then going to see 300 Rise of an Empire in IMAX 3d. :)

not sure what i'll do tomorrow...might go to the range with my dad. and sunday either hanging out with my friendzone or going to another st patrick's day parade.

I'm waiting for Starcitizen.

I posted about that here, and I am really glad Chris Roberts is making a game. But this seems way too focused on the multiplayer element to appeal to me. It's like an MMO with better space combat. Which is cool - don't get me wrong. But to me the appeal of games like X-Wing and Wing Commander was being able to be the hero in rich and interesting fictional worlds and in playing around with different methods and tactics in any given mission. It's like being absorbed in a good book - it's inherently a solo experience. But the community aspect of it comes in when people come together to talk about it and share their experiences. That's why this forum was so great back in the day. It was like...a book club for the X-Wing games. Um...yeah :¬:

Hmmm... Yeah I kinda get what you are saying. I LOVE Skyrim... but I'm far less thrilled by the thought of Elder Scrolls Online.

In one, I'm the master of the game, and everything reflects the way I like to play, and the order I choose to do the missions. In the other, I'm just another player out of hundreds, thousands, millions, who has to choose to work with everybody else to go through the world, and I have to shape my tactics to compliment those I'm working with.

If I really wanted to be playing World Of Warcraft, that's what I would be playing.

Why not both? :p

I never go to the movies anymore. There's usually nothing I want to see that badly that I'm willing to spend that much money on. I'll see it when it gets to Netflix. Or, more often, not...

Getting my taxes done later. Then some stocking up from the wholesale club.

I think I'll sign up on an online dating site or 2 later today. I gave myself a 6-month deadline to get a date last year that I blew through months ago with zero success. A couple of close calls, but they all fell through... so I guess I'll have to find the most recent pic of me that doesn't suck, and/or include my ex in it, and cast my fate upon the digital singles-club wind.

It's pretty bad timing to try though... starting tomorrow work jumps back into 6-7 day weeks, 10+ hours a day, until mid-May. But if I don't start trying now, and I wait until the time things do slow back down for me, summer will have come and gone, and I'll be back in the thick of it before I get a bite on the line.

lol ed, i just hit the 6 month of no dates 3 days ago. Learning that being 30 is no different since I still look the same. just going to the gym as often as i can, doing some weight training and cardio to help get rid of fat so i can start to feel better about myself. my right ankle is still in pain from whatever happened on the treadmill the other day. :(

I figure it's just more efficient this way... A couple of times a year I go against my ingrained nature and give a couple of women the chance to reject me face-to-face.

Now, with the power of the world wide web, I can give ALL the single women in the Commonwealth, hell, ALL of New England! a chance to stomp on my heart and self confidence at once! :dozey:

I figure: by this time next year I'll have either found someone, committed suicide, or entered a monastery. :rolleyes:

Archived