Home

The One Year Thread 2014: Main Street Electrical Parade Through The Dark Side

edlib

Finally got a chance to post, but I have a sick desktop PC on my hands, so I've been doing stuff from my laptop. My brother really wants me to extend the life of the box, so we're only going to try upgrading the operating system, perhaps on a new hard disk, first. There are a couple of other upgrades that I wanted on a whole new PC that I might try getting for the fixed PC (separately).

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heh my mind is changing, think i'll just date this girl and see what happens, the nice thing is she doesn't want kids, and she really likes me so i'll just hang out and see what happens. not like i've got anything to lose. i mean i still don't feel 100% on it, but we've only gone out 3 days and not really on a real date. and Ike, you're right. I've just never had this experience before where the girl fell for me first.

I saw Amazing Spider-Man 2 over the weekend, I enjoyed it.

*(Throws a blast grenade onto Megarock58's avatar.)*

Think that plastic armor's gonna save you? :dozey:

;)

Wildstar, when faced by aging computers on no-longer supported operating systems, I went to the local pawn shop and got a used IPad for a hundred bucks. Doesn't do everything the bigger machines do, but unless I'm printing or messing with CD ROMs, it seems to have taken over the job just fine.

Ed, that sucks giant donkey balls. You're in my prayers, man.

K Kinnison, your story is actually the secret behind my sword collection. :D I live in a retirement community, and on a constant basis the kids fly in, clean out the house and dump what's valuable on the local antiques market. This means lots of swords and knives for sale, which keeps the price down.

Rogue15, are you sure Ike gets his horse high? I've heard that dentists give whiskey to their horses, but that's the extent of it. Glad to hear you're discovering love. ;)

I always wanted a sword, or a small sword collection. But i want a functional sword i could actually use in a fight, since i did take some training in sword fighting. Not some cheap crappy "Cool looking" sword most people buy.

Last night my cat left another headless baby bunny in the patio. that is #4. must be that time of year when the babies leave their nice cosy warm burrows and into the harsh reality above

Last night my cat left another headless baby bunny in the patio. that is #4. must be that time of year when the babies leave their nice cosy warm burrows and into the harsh reality above

He is letting you know what will happen to you should you fail in your duties as provider of food and shelter.

Sorry about all your troubles, ed :( I hope everyone will be OK. It looks like rough waters ahead, but maybe the seas will be calm and the wind...something something ocean metaphor.

**** the VA. i'm STILL waiting for the results of my Xrays to come back. for all i know, i could be getting some $$$ for my achilles tendonitis.

scored a deal at gamestop while waiting for the bus. Assassin's Creed II, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Assassin's Creed Revelations, and Assassin's Creed III for $33!

I always wanted a sword, or a small sword collection. But i want a functional sword i could actually use in a fight, since i did take some training in sword fighting. Not some cheap crappy "Cool looking" sword most people buy.

If it has a plastic dragon handle (or any kind of handle which isn't a traditional form) it is crap. If it has the words 'stainless steel,' '440 stainless' or 'china' stamped into the blade, it is crap (although some good swords are being made in China, the word will be etched on, stamped onto the o-seppa or missing altogether.) If you wave the blade from side to side and you feel the tang wiggle inside the handle, it is crap. Finally, if the blade doesn't seem to be built sturdily enough to sever a limb or head in a real fight...it probably isn't, and is crap.

What kind of sword fighting did you study?

Status Report:

2014 has really kinda sucked for me so far.

Certainly true for the last couple of weeks.

Here's hoping things improve in the 2nd half...

I have a number now for a social worker from the VA... But I just got it, and I'm still on the train to work.

First quiet moment I get there, I'll make the call.

A nice katana would be ideal

My main practice was in Filipino stick fighting, translates real well to knife fighting. Also spent a few years doing Kendo... which is rather boring. But it teaches you the basics in striking.

The fencing around here is a joke, the only stance taught is to have your sword side facing your opponent and arm fully extended. Then when ever your opponent moves in the non-mover strikes.

If i wanted a knife, it would be only for survival/camping. swords are different

I have come to the conclusion that my life is cursed.

Last night, the giant, complicated show ran way long, big teardown, get out of work well over an hour later than my norm... hit Red Sox traffic leaving the game after 3 extra innings. Had to walk down past Symphony Hall (about 10 minutes) to get a train from a line that doesn't pass Fenway... but they only run about 2 an hour. I waited 25 minutes.

Tonight, I left earlier than I ever do normally... though it was still a giant, complicated show... hit the train platform just as an empty train is leaving. Wait several minutes... just as the game ends... next train that rolls through is packed to beyond bulging.

Leave station, walk past Symphony. Wait 25 minutes.

Somebody out there has it out for me. All I wanted to do was get home and get to bed, as I have a very long, miserable day at work ahead of me tomorrow.

And after a morning full of calls and inquiries... I STILL have very little info about my dad. Not a single return call all day.

I'm kinda pissed.

Ed, you need to get your maw and stuff, rocking chair and all, out of that f*cking city. It sounds to me that you're always getting screwed in the commute! If you weren't burning up the daylight just getting back and forth, the plate would be smaller in a manner of speaking.

I know leaving a job is hard...especially if you get to hang out with sailor-talking celebrities. ;) But there has to be something for you at a university or college that's still prestigious but not socked up in the urban jungle. Most cities aren't as difficult to commute around, especially the farther inland you look.

It would also be A benefit if that new job were closer to your dad, if you know what I mean. :) Job search and moving...way too much, I realize. But if you're considering an improvement, it might be worth a thought.

Git to Californy! :max:

I only get screwed in the commute when the Sox are playing home games. Unfortunately, if they make playoffs and the Series, that's like 2/3s of the year.

Where I work is about 5 or 6 blocks from the park.

In live sound, there are few options.

1st is to be a house guy, like me, where you are in charge of everything audio in the hall, mix the bands that don't have an engineer, and set up the system for the ones that do.

It can be grueling, but I do get to sleep in my own bed every night.

Work for a sound company: Get to the shop at the crack of dawn (if not earlier), load the truck, drive to the gig, unload the truck, setup the system, test it, soundcheck the show, do the show, tear it down, load the truck, drive back to the shop, unload the truck at the crack of dawn (if not later) the next day, load the truck for the next gig... repeat entire sequence. Sleep is hard to come by, and the pay isn't all that great. Non gig days are spent in the shop sorting though boxes of cables, doing repairs, and prepping for upcoming shows.

Touring engineer: All of the above... except there is no shop, and you sleep in a bunk on a moving bus 300+ nights a year.

I've done all 3 to a certain extent. Mine is the cushiest. I have seniority (not that it means much here...) and a great benefits package, which most others don't since most of them are considered independent contractors or freelancers.

If I changed jobs, I'd be the "new guy" wherever I move to, and I'd probably lose most, if not all of the bennies, and have to start doing insurance and retirement out of pocket.

And trust me... I love my dad, but mom REALLY doesn't want to be in Florida... and I HATE it down there. Not a fan, even though I was born down there.

Once my folks down there passed on, I doubt I'll ever set foot in that state again. The Keys are nice... but that's all I can find to like about the entire state.

Besides:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Sorry. Didn't mean to come off all know-it-all. I'm just one of those people who doesn't simply listen to the problems of others and seem sympathetic, but actually thinks about how to make things better. When an answer comes up, then I say so.

I do know that others do what you do; my stepsister does sound at a college out in Spokane, and teaches. Although she did, for years, do the traveling thing as you say. It actually came in handy, since her schedule took her down through here once a year and gave her a chance to see her dad (the stepdad of mine who passed away a year and a half ago.)

I understand the home town loyalty thing. ;) Just try to get me away from this little valley in Oregon. Not happening.

Perhaps a female robotic companion assistant? :max: For those times when you need to be in two places at once...and those times when you want to be in one place twice. They also do laundry and get beer without bitching.

Not a big deal. Sorry if I came across as snappish. My everything is frayed. Brain shut down weeks ago. Emotions are gone. Body barely functional.

I've been consciously eating far more fruits and veggies, and mega-dosing vitamins the last couple of weeks to get through this period of extra insanity at work without a complete systemic, emotional, mental, and nervous breakdown. I think I made it... but just. This thing with the folks just about tipped me over, but somehow I'm still getting by.

I actually love my job and my city... but in the interest of keeping things civil all day at work (you have to bite an acid tongue until it fountains blood in a collegiate environment, since everybody has big ideas and an agenda that will get you called on the carpet if you disagree in slightly the wrong tone of voice...) I swallow a lot of bitterness, which I later vent out to you guys here, and in far more cryptic ways on Facebook (since many of the folks boiling my blood are connected to me there.)

But after several weeks of just enduring massive and unbelievable unrealistic plans that we somehow manage to pull off in zero time by proverbially leaping through hoops of fire while coated in gasoline, little things like dealing with the hordes of intoxicated Sox fans shouting on a crowded train while I'm just trying to get home from a grueling 14 hour day so I can grab 5 hours rest before heading back in for a longer, more grueling one, tends to grate on the fabric of my very soul.

But when times are good, work isn't stupid, and my schedule doesn't exactly coincide with the home game day schedule, there's very few places I can imagine wanting to be more.

done with finals. got a c- on the ethics paper i did at the last minute, the professor said i could redo it if i want a better grade, so i'm going to write a little more in there and try and touch it up. pretty sure i'll pass the class, even if i get a D i'll be alright becasue i have A's in all my other classes...just wont want to have to retake this class!

going to see Staind in concert tonight and idk what im doing this weekend, probably partying with my friends. next week is PT test training....

Archived