Home

The One Year Thread 2014: Main Street Electrical Parade Through The Dark Side

edlib

well, she did cook for me AND wash the dishes afterwards tonight...she really really really likes me...think i'll just take a ride and see what happens, i am having fun so far. as soon as it turns into a dictatorship (where i'm not the emperor), it's over. lmao

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last full day in Florida... gotta make it count, I guess. Though I'm pretty sure I'll have to be back at least once before the summer is over.

It feels like I've been down here a month, going non-stop... and yet, like I've barely accomplished anything.

Toured a bunch of assisted living places with my stepmother niece (first cousin by marriage, I guess...) and will probably look at a couple more today.

It would be great to make a decision on where they are going to go before I fly out... but I don't think we'll be ready for that, and I'll have to do it by phone and fax from up north.

This is what we are leaning towards though: http://www.atlantisassistedliving.com/

I have to come back to grab his guitars and amps for safe keeping. Once my cousin leaves town, the trailer is effectively abandoned, as it seems like there's no no way they will ever be able to return to live there. The park they are in is patrolled, and the next door neighbors are keeping eyes on the place... but the thought of all his stuff just sitting there in a trailer at effectively 'hurricane ground zero' makes me uneasy.

Plus: the place needs tons of repairs and clean-up... both of which will be easier once it's emptied out. and the thought of a bunch of repair-guy strangers tromping around possibly unsupervised in a trailer full of valuable vintage instruments makes me pretty uneasy.

I'm thinking about flying down late June, early July (the weekend of the 4th, maybe...) then renting a van or small box truck and driving all his stuff back up north. I should have a bit more time-off built up by then, and that will already be a long weekend for us at work anyways. Road trip anyone? I will be looking for someone to share the driving... I'll pay all the expenses, and you'll get your pick of a vintage Gibson at the end. I'm more than half serious about that... I don't have room for the guitars I already own... adding his collection is going to tax the little storage space I already have to the limit. I'm probably going to have to unload a few of his, as much as it will pain me to do so. We might need the funds to support their care eventually anyway. They do have a nice chunk of savings... but at a couple of thousand bucks a month for elder care, that could get depleted surprisingly quick.

But whoever helps me empty his place out and helps me with the driving, I think I'll let them pick one out and take it. As long as they promise to keep it and play it, and not just unload it for profit immediately anyway...

It's unlikely he'll be able to have more than a guitar or two, a very small amp, and a tape deck/CD station wherever he ends up. If that... :(

It's been a depressing week. I'm looking forward to being home... though I wish I was heading back feeling more accomplished. Though I know we got a lot done... there's just so much left to do.

And I know that no matter how enthusiastically I sell it, he's never going to be happy in any situation where he doesn't have complete independence... But I think he gets that she'll never be able to take care of herself again, let alone look after him, so I think he's grudgingly resigned to the new reality.

Time to get going... much left to do.

*Sigh*

You know I would do it in a heartbeat. But I'm on the wrong coast, and have a full plate already. Wouldn't know what to do with a guitar, but one could always trade for a fine sword...

Anyone else in that part of the country with time to spare and a driver's license?

epic ****ing weekend. they keep getting better and better!!! last night went out with army buddies for one our our brother's 21st birthdays...got him super-annihilated great memories. lol buncha stuff happened and they left me at a hotel when i was checking out so i had to walk 2 miles home and get ready to go hiking with my date and friends, it was about a 3-4 hour hike then we went to a nice restaurant and had some good food and drinks, now i'm completely beat up...i overdid it with the hiking i think, i was making everyone laugh, pics are going up on my facebook sometime tonight or tomorrow of the craziness. :) i'm so tired now and my legs are really sore. i'm glad i met this girl, also i did tell my mom i'm seeing her and of course she's all 'overly-concerned mother' on me. so annoying, but after the last one i don't really blame her i just hope both of my parents don't go nutty on me and rushing me to make anything serious about it, **** always gets ****ed up that way. i'd rather just have fun and be friends instead of trying to put on a show for people and be someone i'm not. my 2 closest friends like her, so that means alot to me as far as if i want to date her for an extended period of time or whatever. i figure as long as i'm happy, why not? she doesn't want kids and she likes the same things i do plus she's not a bitch (so far lol). tomorrow im gonna relax most of the day i think, do some cleaning and play with my dog since he was home by himself for most of the day and all of last night.

Wi-fi in the sky. Posting this from the plane... 32,000 feet.

Whodathunkit?

Great. Now my phone battery will be toast by the time we land for sure... Though I could break out the laptop, I guess.

Hmmm...

Well, I'm home.

Managed to start the discharge process/ move into his assisted living place before I left yesterday... so that's a relief. He'll be in the new place on Wednesday. I wish I was down there to help out getting him settled in the new spot, but as of yesterday, I'm pretty sure I have bottomed out on my Paid Time Off, and I'd have to go to unpaid leave if I stayed any longer... tricky when you are spending money on hotel rooms and meals, as well as trying to cover all your normal bills back home.

So it's back to the grind today... though the next couple of weeks at work are thankfully light.

I hope dad is happy in the new place. He will have a lot more freedom of movement than he did at the VA, and his own private room with his own bathroom... so that's a huge improvement.

But, if in a couple of months, after my stepmother joins him there for a bit, if they decide they don't like this place, at least then we'll have the luxury of time picking out a different place for them.

This seems like a nice, friendly place to me though, and it has a good reputation among everybody we asked about it... but I'm not the one who will be living there 24/7.

yeah i don't know...tomorrow i'm going to introduce her to my friends i always hang out with and see what they make of her.

Late chiming in on this, but you have this from Chris Rock's "No Sex": "If your girlfriend has been dating you for a month and hasn't met your friends, she's not your girlfriend."

my friends liked her, plus she puts up with alot of me busting on her which is funny as hell, if i said 1/8 of the things i say to her to my last girlfriend, my ex would have left the first week of being with me, plus she just rubbed everybody the wrong way with everything she said and did, this one is the complete opposite of that.

made her work out with me from 1:30-6:30, then took her to eat at the mall and took her to the movie theatre that is downtown, i never been in there, but it was nice. we saw The Amazing Spiderman 2, tho i hadn't seen the first one (****in netflix not putting that on there yet), really good movie. then we walked 2 miles to my place to get her stuff then i walked her home.

oh yes, there is a twist to all this...another of my friends who we'll call 'k' (female), messaged me out of the blue on facebook after seeing the pictures and told me that girl is crazy because k and her now-husband went on a double date with her husband's friend and the girl i'm seeing, who we'll call 'p'...k asked p how her relationship was going and p allegedly got on facebook and told k off (cursed her out, called her a jew, said that k and k's boyfriend relationship would end in turmoil cause they spend too much time together, etc), k said she told p boyfriend what had happened (they were only going out for a few weeks) and a few weeks later he dumped her.

so, i tell this girl me and my buddy are friends with 'm' (i really like her, she's really pretty girl) about what happened and this was after the hiking, and m said that she met k before and she didn't really care for her. i think i can relate to p getting mad at k, but i don't think it was because of what she said to p, more like how she said it...then K messaged me today asking if i was still hanging out with P, and i'm like 'yeah until she does something crazy'...

the thing that pisses me off about this is that K stopped talking to me after she got married, or wouldn't have even said anything, so i think she's the one with the problem, cause why would she really give a **** about me? P has been nothing but nice to me since i've been seeing her, but then again, i've had that happen before. i mean i really like her but idk if it'll last because **** just likes to fall apart and go crazy on me, but until i start getting stressed out or any crazy symptoms show up, i'm not going to just dump this person.

yeah idk, worst sex ever so bad that i think i'm actually the one being used for sex. (is that even possible?) i just don't know what to do, maybe i should just be like 'no more sexy time, i just want to be friends....' cause that's just how i feel no matter how hard i try to feel anything...i'm so ****ed up.

No idea as of yet. A lot depends on when my stepmom can be checked into the same place, and how many days of time off I can build up. And if they like it there or want to be moved...

If my dad has the room I want to leave him as many of his guitars/ amps/ etc... as I can at his place.

But I'll keep you posted...

So... if I'm reading your formula correctly Professor Lapin...

Alphabet Soup + Algebra = STDs :dozey:

:joy:

STDs? You mean Imperial star destroyers? :max: Well, no one wants that.

Looks like a nice place for your dad. Must have been a lot of work, and it looks like you did well. :) Good son!

STDs? You mean Imperial star destroyers? :max: Well, no one wants that.
I hear that burns like hell. :dozey:

Looks like a nice place for your dad. Must have been a lot of work, and it looks like you did well. :) Good son!
I hope he likes it, and actually feels that way about me.

It's an incredibly tough thing telling your parent that his freedom and former way of living have to be given up, probably forever, for his own good. There will be a lot of guilt for me around this decision for a long time... until I'm really sure he's happy there anyway.

My cousin overheard him telling my stepmother that he liked the place, that it was really nice, and that we picked out a good one for them. I hope he really feels that way, and isn't just saying that to make everybody feel better.

My dad has never been the type to mince words, keep his opinions to himself, and to spare feelings if he feels strongly about something. So it's promising... but I'll try to get him on the phone later tonight and see if I can get his real impressions out of him.

your dad looks happy there, ed. i would be too because compared to the VA, anyplace is paradise! :) hope it works out for him.

looking forward to my Annual Training with my platoon, the only thing I'm not looking forward to is the pt test...I really hope I do well on it.

10 miles this morning - my first time running double-digit mileage. I finished it in 1:17:07. I wanted to break 1:15:00 for the race in a few weeks. It's possible, but it will be difficult. On one hand, I was only two minutes over that today on a training run, definitely not going all out. On the other hand, the weather was perfect this morning, and if it's hot and humid on race day, things will be a lot more difficult. The race course is supposed to be very hilly, but I'm not too worried about that, because my neighborhood and the surrounding area where I run is just hill after hill. But since I've never run in the area where the race is, and I've never run in ANY race before, it will be a couple of new experiences to deal with. So...we'll see.

laundry day...i slept in, it's not raining out today so think i'll take my dog for a walk once i throw the clothes in the dryer..

I started playing Mass Effect again, I want to play through all 3 of them, i've already played the first 2 but on my old gamertag and didn't have a transfer thingy to transfer the gamertag from the old xbox to the new one, so lost alot of achievements...and i want them back. so glad the Xbox 360 graphics aren't unbearable in comparison to Xbox One. at least, the later games were looking really sharp. :)

10 miles this morning - my first time running double-digit mileage. I finished it in 1:17:07. I wanted to break 1:15:00 for the race in a few weeks. It's possible, but it will be difficult. On one hand, I was only two minutes over that today on a training run, definitely not going all out. On the other hand, the weather was perfect this morning, and if it's hot and humid on race day, things will be a lot more difficult. The race course is supposed to be very hilly, but I'm not too worried about that, because my neighborhood and the surrounding area where I run is just hill after hill. But since I've never run in the area where the race is, and I've never run in ANY race before, it will be a couple of new experiences to deal with. So...we'll see.

Hats off to you, man. I was never able to run without a drill instructor running right behind me... :max:

To be fair, I always could have run farther and faster, but it also amused me to see how worked up those guys would get. ;)

Archived