Home

The One Year Thread 2014: Main Street Electrical Parade Through The Dark Side

edlib

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

been watching "addiction" on netflix...damn i thought i was an alcoholic. lol i can't drink anymore this **** got me tipsy on a twisted iced tea. **** that.

and this girl i really like said that i'm more fun when i drink, so i asked why...and it's because i'm not so uptight and i joke more. idk i just gotta let things go..i guess. need to call the VA tomorrow and see when my next appointment is for counseling.

heh no calls back yet from places i've applied...however a temp agency called me about a job working with vaccines and ice. 3rd shift at $13 an hour...i told them i have school though, and that would really interfere with that...i'd be falling asleep in class. i need a part-time job, and of course none of these ****ers wanna call me back probably because i said i will not work sunday on the application. but have night availability...so **** them if they don't want to hire me. :(

Nope. It's why it's on the list.

I scratched guitar playing off, as I can play to my personal satisfaction (I.e: my enjoyment). The violin playing is a bit more serious, as now that I have some (although not really translatable) experience with a stringed instrument, I feel that I could tackle it given enough time, effort and practice.

I would be looking into lessons and such, as my intially forray into looking at starting pretty much suggests that a teacher is necessary so I don't develop bad habits that would prevent me from playing things like

or

Obviously, those are end game goals. It took me 7+ years from when I was in the 3rd grade to 11th grade to actually not sound like crap on the trumpet and that was fighting braces too.

I would love to play this... but that's very very far off in my journey.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Well, that first waltz anyway.

R15 - you will learn, as I have, that most things in life are not worth worrying or getting upset about. Go with the flow of life and see where it takes you. Worked out pretty good so far for me.

Yeah, I'm not rich or have a super large house, and generally am scraping by, but I'm happy.

Yes, you need to have a teacher...and listen to him. I have a violin student who has been coming to me for several years. At the very first lesson I told him he was holding the bow like a damn n00b, and that the first thing he needed to do if he wanted his playing to not sound like he was shoving a cat down a garbage disposal was to fix that. I taught him how to hold it. I gave him exercises that would develop it. I showed his parents what he was supposed to be doing and told them to make sure he was doing it or they were just wasting their money. And yet never once has this kid held the bow correctly. I know he practices with the same savage, caveman-esque grip he has been using since day one. He uses it right in front of me at lessons, unless I explicitly correct him. This will fix the problem for about five seconds, after which he goes right back to his regular, fail-tastic grip. I have threatened to chop off his hand and replace it with a prosthetic that can do nothing but hold a violin bow correctly, but alas, my words have failed to have any impact. This has really prevented him from achieving any significant improvement. Well, along with his utter tone-deafness and complete lack of rhythm.

Keyan: What do you think of electric violins? Being an apartment dwelller, and my odd ass hours, I can't really practice the thing at night unless it's really quiet or silent..... opinions?

I hear there are mutes for the violin as well... are they worth investing in?

got a call back from 2 places for jobs today.

oh yeah, and the va never got around to putting my appointment on the schedule though my person told me she'd schedule it for the 12th or 13th which is monday or tuesday. going to call Lowe's back (they're the ones that called) and get interview scheduled and then call the mental health clinic and see what the **** is up.

Keyan: What do you think of electric violins? Being an apartment dwelller, and my odd ass hours, I can't really practice the thing at night unless it's really quiet or silent..... opinions?

I hear there are mutes for the violin as well... are they worth investing in?

I would only go the electric violin route if you want to play the electric violin. If you want to learn the standard violin and its repertoire, you are going to be unsatisfied with the electric. Yes, there are practice mutes, and they work. They are not expensive, so I'd recommend starting with that. You can do other things too, like hang blankets.

got interview for friday...over the phone interview. had 2 other places call me today, both of them temp agencies. the one had a job that's too far, and the other needs me to fill out more information so they can interview me. going to tell that one that i have an interview but would like some work until i get that job, this way i'll have money for ocean city in august without having to break the bank.

cut 35 seconds off my run today. 2 mile in 19:45...actual 2 mile run probably a minute faster than that because i'm running up and down 2 hills and it's definitely not flat.

also got on the scale when i woke up, and am down 7 pounds from the last time i weighed myself. so i got that going for me. which is nice.

yeah i'm glad i have time to train, next apft is in august, so i have about 3 weeks left, going to run every morning monday-friday followed by weight lifting followed by 15-30 minutes on the elliptical...hopefully i'll rid most of the fat by the time i get back in school! lol

went to a bar tonight. didn't drink alcohol. it's ramadan but i'm not of the islamic faith.

oh yeah and i decided what i want to go for as far as a civilian career....probation officer. **** yeah. it only requires 2 year degree in criminal justice...so hopefully by next year i can be in training for it! would be pretty fun keeping ****bags on their toes. lol

lowe's interview wasn't really promising...10-25 hours a week, but at least it's something maybe they'll call me back for a face-to-face interview.

was job searching and found out the the prison within 1 mile from me is hiring correctional officer, so i said **** it and put my name in for it...had to print the application and walk down to the city administration building...idk we'll see what happens. funny thing about that, today was the final day they were accepting applications!

today made a huge change to my college schedule for next semester...well it's not in the system yet but i got the classes scheduled so i will be able to graduate spring 2015 for sure. changing my degree program from the criminal justice (police and security) to criminal justice (counseling), as that deals more with the corrections side of things, I never really wanted to be a police officer anyway, and it's still a criminal justice degree...i could probably double-major, or finish up the police/security major if i decide otherwise. I went from 4 classes to 7 classes. dropping police operations and picking up abnormal psychology, forensic science, world history as my diversity elective, and intro to human services as regular elective.

hopefully my adviser doesn't get shocked by the drastic change. she's already aware that i'm looking into changing over. i'm just glad i decided now instead of halfway through the semester, that police operations class would've been useless to me if i was to change my major.

keeping my hopes high that i can land a decent job after i graduate.

So I pulled the trigger on the violin:

Stentor 1500 4/4

It got decent reviews and I checked out a few video reviews from a few people. Definatly going to take it a local violin shop before I even try to play it to catch any other issues, possibly get some better strings on it.

Got a mute as well, so I can practice.

Now... that teacher bit.... :raise:

Archived