Home

The One Year Thread 2014: Main Street Electrical Parade Through The Dark Side

edlib

I'm feeling meh today. Had a dream I won alot of $$$ on one of those slot machines that they have in some restaurants and bars, only to be told it was broke and only meant that's the score i got. then i woke up. hope the rest of the day goes well. It is really nice out, I must've got around 9 hours of sleep after watching Hemlock Grove. I'm just about out of groceries, I got milk and a 28 case of bottled water at walmart yesterday. I'm making shrimp noodle soup? for lunch, the microwavable thing my grandma sent home with my parents. lol I'm feeling quite accomplished since I got that job at Sams, now i'm just thinking "what next" guess i gotta continue working out and getting in better shape. I want to be in top physical condition...I have no appetite though, which I'm pretty grateful of, and convinced it's the bupropion's side effect. At least I'll save some money on food, lose the weight i need to, then I'll start eating healthy (chicken, fish) high protein foods and build up my muscles. idk.

I'm probably going to take my dog for a walk today. I'm on my 2nd day of resting, and since I have bottled water, getting hydrated...this week I have to get my pushup and situp count up, I have a APFT next sunday.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got laundry and shopping to do all day today. Hooray? :dozey:

It's a blah day outside, so this is the day to tackle them.

Got most of the calls and paperwork for my dad out of the way yesterday, and mailed out all the things that needed to be mailed... so that's a load off my mind.

Took a pretty decent walk yesterday evening after I got all that accomplished. Maybe now I can start to relax again... until the next round of bills and forms start to roll in anyway.

It's a bit rough on all that vintage equipment, however. Which is fine if you are big enough to be able to find a new guitar and amps waiting for you at the next gig.

Those of us who buy and maintain our own equipment tend to baby it a bit more than that...

It always kind of sickened me to see that. It's like...why not give that guitar to some poor kid who can't afford one but really wants to learn to play? Or auction it off and give the money to charity? Or something that's just not a total waste.

benched 135 for 4 sets, lifted more weights, then went on a long ass hike on this trail right next to the gym. no more laps around the park for me...going to go run this trail every morning after lifting! just gotta set up a routine...2 mile walk there in the morning followed by a good 30-45 minutes of lifting followed by a good morning run...of 10 miles. every day. just gotta say to my body "**** you" and do it. only way i'm going to get fast and stronger is if i kick my ****ing ass and do it.

oh yeah and i did get a call for an interview with Staples. going to call them tomorrow after my workout and get that set up for Wednesday morning. If they offer me more than sams, i'm probably going to jump ship...or skip out on work-study and manage 2 part time jobs. best thing is they're right next to each other...idk, we'll see...with sams i get the free membership, which is good...and that job is easy as hell. not sure what staples will want to hire me for. if it's the photo department, that would be nice because i've done that before..

You absolutely do NOT want to run 10 miles a day, and you will hurt yourself if you try it without working up to it gradually. You could possibly work up to it, but there wouldn't be much point. It would be far better to vary your workouts between easy recovery runs, tempo runs, speed work, and long runs. Try one long run per week, and work up to it gradually, adding maybe half a mile to what you did the previous week.

you're right. I'm probably going to just run "timed" as opposed to distance (since my app isn't accurately recording the true distance i'm walking/running) so just going to do 20-30 minutes a day, any longer than that i don't see the point as i'm not training for a marathon, 5k maybe but not a marathon. the 2 miles a day i've been doing monday-friday seem to be helping me a bit.

Well, in terms of passing that, don't exhaust yourself this week. You will do better if your body is not trying to recover from unusually hard workouts. Definitely don't run the day before. Don't start out too fast; just try to keep a nice, even pace, and then really pour it on at the end if you have anything left. Good luck!

I plugged in the Vibrolux amp the other day, and it sounds great. Has a pretty severe grounding buzz though... but I'm not sure if that's from the amp, the cable, or the guitar I was using, or some combo of the 3.

More experimenting is in order.

Well, in terms of passing that, don't exhaust yourself this week. You will do better if your body is not trying to recover from unusually hard workouts. Definitely don't run the day before. Don't start out too fast; just try to keep a nice, even pace, and then really pour it on at the end if you have anything left. Good luck!

thankfully it's on a sunday, and i don't plan on pt-ing for the 2 days before that. :) just hydrating alot.

i tested out running that trail for about 20 minutes, it's really nice...don't gotta worry about cars running me over, and there's not too many hills so i can keep a steady pace, and it follows the river, so it's a nice scenic trail with alot of shade.

going to go to work in a couple hours...kind of nervous, but it's computer based learning, so it won't really be that bad...then the 2.5 mile walk home at 9pm. that is going to be interesting.

Finished. The 'Mayflower.'

280714-1048_zpsf1f8e3a6.jpg

It turned out that building the hull was the hardest part. In the forty-some years that this sat in the basement, the large hull pieces had flattened out in the box. I had to bend them back around the deck with rubber bands to hold them in place until the glue cured. (I use superglue, but it still takes a couple hours for it to reach full strength.)

270714-1725001_zps33873e8e.jpg

I had to replace the crumbling plastic sails with new ones I cut from a handkerchief. I chose to stow them on the masts, so you could see the ship better...

280714-1050001_zps54ed3944.jpg

My, what a lovely ass. :dozey:

280714-1049_zpsbbbfffc6.jpg

Here's a close-up of the starboard side:

280714-1052_zpsb75a6281.jpg

The kit came with ten deck hands, but I only used one to give a sense of scale. Here he is on the quarterdeck:

280714-1053002_zps350a0853.jpg

Looks great, Zoom. I would have screwed it up in the first fifteen minutes, given up, and opened a bottle of wine to celebrate my failure. And then I would have screwed that up by breaking the cork and letting it fall into the bottle, given up on the wine, and started playing some X-Wing to celebrate that failure. And then I would have failed at that by destroying an assault gunboat while directly behind it, causing it to fly backward into my ship, causing my in-game death. And of course I would have forgotten to back up my pilot file, forcing me to start back at Flight Cadet and OH GOD I'M SO LONELY.

What I'm saying is, I'm not very good at building model ships.

Keyan: believe me, building the ship was a test in patience. The problems I had with warped hull pieces, a bent mast and useless sails make this the hardest model I've ever attempted. I mean, it's fully rigged. Who even knows how to do that anymore...? ;)

Ed: yes, the model I have is of the one you're talking about. They don't actually know what the original looked like, which is one reason why I felt like leaving off all the gay paint on the upper hull. I think mine probably looks more like the original...

mayflower-1.jpg

sams wasn't that fun...cbls were down so i had to do actual work. lol it's going to get old fast, so tomorrow after my corrections officer (God, i hope i get that job...) exam, i'm going to call up Staples and see what they have to offer me. They increased my rate at sams from 8.40 to 9.25 so that's not too bad i guess. 3.5 hours of checking people out and hounding them for credit card applications, then another 30 of cleaning up. 45 minute walk home wasn't difficult, i walk past a bar, .5 miles from my place so that's a plus. lmao

correctional officer job exam was pretty easy except for the last part, the report thing i probably failed pretty bad on, pretty sure i aced the rest of it though. hoping i get that job, the guy that was administering the test said that everyone that gets hired expect to wait a couple months to actually start.

I got home and scheduled interview with Staples for Thursday. got some work tonight scheduled...also my contract for work study came back so gonna go check that out after i go lift and run. I just need to stay positive and strive to do everything in my power to get what I want.

got my workout in today...did chest, arms, and abs. then ran 2 miles kinda got interrupted cause i "won a 3 day cruise" for me and a buddy. lol it's not a bad deal $200ish for the taxes...but i'd need a car to go pick it up, so screw that.

went to the college after my workout, and signed my contract for VA work study program. I can start next monday. so that's sweet, i'll be able to work 6-7 hours then another 4 hours at sams, bring in a decent amount of money before i start school, then i'll be working about 2 hours a day after school doing that if i decide to stay at sams. it's only min wage though which is 7.25/hour, but it is extra money...

still kind of planning on ocmd, right now i have enough $$$ in the bank to be able to go down there, plus i'll be getting pay from drill and pay from sams...i just gotta convince my parents to watch my dog for me. and here the obligatory lecture about blowing all my money. but since i have jobs lined up and only 1 bill i have to pay...i should be alright..

my dog is being extra annoying lately, i'm not sure why...i take him for walks, feed and water him. :\

went for a walk for around 45 minutes to an hour with him. my foot still hurting from yesterday loosened up and is now feeling normal. I don't understand why my feet do that? achilles tendonitis sucks. thank God I don't get shin splints anymore.

hit up career link for the stuff to get myself scheduled to take the civil service exam. Gonna do that after I get back from vacation, then next year going to see what jobs I can get with my associates in criminal justice degree + military experience...i think corrections is where i'd fit in best. i have some good friends that work in the prisons 30 miles north of me. i need a car so i can apply there...

i got a credit card application in the mail. this is like every month my bank sends me one. and so i opened it this time and what do i have to put? employment and how long i've worked there. awesome. :rolleyes: **** i need to build up some credit.

sent out an email to the bar i used to go to alot to see if i can work there as a bouncer. lol

Staples interview went very well, at least I think it did. The manager who interviewed me seemed like he wants to hire me, since I have experience, and if they do hire me they'll go off of my experience in retail...so i'll probably be getting same rate as Sam's. not holding my breath though as much as i want the job, at least i have the other one and it's not really that difficult, just repetitive which Staples isn't as repetitive.

killer workout at the gym, lame run but that's because i walked 5+ miles before i went to the gym...still 2 miles in 20 minutes lol kept a steady pace, and the first mile is pretty much all uphill, a slow but steady incline...really great spot because it's right across the street from the gym. getting psyched up for more computer based training tonight...gonna catch the bus there, the walk up that hill takes around 15 minutes...it sucks. charging my phone so i can listen to some music to get me all pumped up for it hahaha. slightly excited about drill this weekend.

I worked a 4+ hour show this afternoon. No intermissions or breaks. If you include setup and soundchecks, it was almost 8 hours straight behind the mixing board with zero time planned for, y'know, bathroom breaks... eating food... being a human being.

Apparently, in the eyes of some performers, the crew who are working incredibly hard to try to make them look and sound good just don't rate enough to actually eat lunch or take a pee after 6 hours or anything.

Archived